• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

So... We have a new name now then?

Skippa

Anti-BS
Hypometabolic syndrome.

Frequent topics on the forum:

"Should we use CFS or ME?"

"What name gives a better description of our symptoms?"

"Why don't people give sympathy if you tell them you've got CFS?"

"What do you tell people is wrong with you?"

Well, since the latest breakthrough study smash hit, we have our answer;

"I'm not well"

- "oh? What's wrong with you?"

"I've got Hypometabolic Syndrome"

- "nasty! What's that then?"

"Parts of my body switched off and won't turn on again"

- "poor you, sympathy empathy and more sympathy"

Or perhaps CHS - Chronic Hypometabolic Syndrome

Or PHS (lol) - Persistant Hypometabolic Syndrome

Chrisb

There was a time when, when asked the inevitable question "Do you think its depression?" I used to seize the bull by the clichéd horns and say "Yes .......but only in the sense that it is systemic metabolic depression." I feel almost vindicated..... but cannot advocate the use of the name!

JohnCB

Immoderate
Persistent Dauer Disease,
Just no more syndromes, please.
No more CBT,
No more GET,
Yes, it's Hypometabolic Disease.

Hmm, it's difficult to get that H-word to scan.

Denise

On another thread I believe I saw hypothyroidism mentioned as a disease with hypometabolic characteristics. So could we claim hypometabolic as part of a disease name for us?

TigerLilea

Hypometabolic syndrome.

- "oh? What's wrong with you?"

"I've got Hypometabolic Syndrome"

- "nasty! What's that then?"

"Parts of my body switched off and won't turn on again"

- "poor you, sympathy empathy and more sympathy"

Or perhaps CHS - Chronic Hypometabolic Syndrome

Or PHS (lol) - Persistant Hypometabolic Syndrome
Let's wait until several other researchers can replicate these findings. Remember XMRV? This could turn out to be another dead end. Only time will tell.

snowathlete

Anything along those lines is better than ME. There isn't enough evidence of ME to justify the name which makes us a laughing stock to most in medicine. The only reason ME has been so popular is because CFS is even worse.

But we can't change name until we have done enough replication and that may lead to more refinement of what the name should be anyway. Till then people should call it what they want but not waste too much effort fighting for one thing or the other as it looks likely that current names will be redundant before too much longer.

alex3619

I'm still not convienced that CFS and ME/CFS are the same thing/severities
This cohort was most likely an ME cohort, its not clear how well it will translate to loosely defined CFS groups, expecially Oxford which is the worst definition of all.

PS I am still going to use ME for strictly defined diagnoses, and CFS for the rest, and ME/CFS where its in doubt.

Nielk

This cohort was most likely an ME cohort, its not clear how well it will translate to loosely defined CFS groups, expecially Oxford which is the worst definition of all.

PS I am still going to use ME for strictly defined diagnoses, and CFS for the rest, and ME/CFS where its in doubt.
Me patients suffer from chronic neuro inflammation. It seems to me that the cohorts in this study did not suffer from ongoing inflammation. The way I understand it - it's more like a hit and run scenarios where there was a n initial "hit" which might have been infectious or environmental or other stressor and then the stressor disappeared but the patients are left in this stuck hibernating state.

This is not a description of myalgic Encephalomyelitis and that's why I have a hard time understanding it.