• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Any way of taking Kefir and NOT provoking a histamine reaction?

Bansaw

I seem to gravitate back to raw milk kefir because I am convinced its good for me, and I know I need good bacteria since I've a history of heavy antibiotic use.

Anyway, I am also quite sure that I get a histamine reaction. I tested it today. I was feeling "good" and then I drank a glass of kefir and then I felt bad 40 mins later (achy, tired etc).
I think I got a histamine reaction. I mean I drank a lot to exaggerate it but....

My question is, I wonder if I could take kefir in a capsule or some other way to cut down on that reaction. Or maybe simply not drink so much of it (maybe a couple of teaspoons per meal, or putting it in a capsule, or drying it...etc.)

I know there are histamine friendly probiotics but honestly I'm not convinced they are helping enough to warrant $30 a month shelling out and convinced that there are helping so much. With Kefir I know. 4 yrs ago a doctor took a stool sample when I was doing kefir and was really impressed with the bacteria. But I was getting those histamine reactions now I know.

Dmitri

Are you sure it's histamine and not the acid? I can't have kefir or yogurt without getting burns on my tongue and esophagus.

Bansaw

Are you sure it's histamine and not the acid? I can't have kefir or yogurt without getting burns on my tongue and esophagus.
I think so. The symptoms are tiredness, achiness, not burning or acid reflux.

Timaca

When I tried kefir I took 1 tablespoon a day. Then 2 tablespoons. You might try cutting WAY back on the amount you are taking.....

Eventually though, I did switch to probiotics because I was having intestinal issues. I found that Jarrow Brand Ideal Bowel Support helped me a lot and didn't give me histamine issues. I was still having some problems so I added in the Jarro Dolphilus for babies (1/4 tsp). I have also done fine with that. Recently, I added in the FemDolphilus. That one has been amazing in that it has helped clear my brain up, and given me more of a feeling of wellness. So far (less than 1 week taking it)...no histamine issues. They have all helped me so I am currently taking all of them. Certainly kefir is less expensive but it hasn't helped me like these 3 probiotics have....

Best,

Gingergrrl

I can't have anything fermented or pickled b/c of histamine and MCAS so yogurt and kefir are out for me. Even though I can eat a LOT more foods now, I still do not tolerate anything in this group. But I am not sure how you would know if tiredness or achiness is a histamine reaction vs. due to something else?

Cheesus

I seem to gravitate back to raw milk kefir because I am convinced its good for me, and I know I need good bacteria since I've a history of heavy antibiotic use.

The best way to balance the gut is with food - especaially prebiotics. Fermented foods do not actually repopulate the gut as any influence they have is likely transitory.

I don't think there is any way around the histamine reaction, I'm sorry. Histamine is simply a byproduct of fermentation and once it's in there it's in there. Not much you can do about it.

Bansaw

The best way to balance the gut is with food - especaially prebiotics. Fermented foods do not actually repopulate the gut as any influence they have is likely transitory.

I don't think there is any way around the histamine reaction, I'm sorry. Histamine is simply a byproduct of fermentation and once it's in there it's in there. Not much you can do about it.
Actually kefir is powerful enough to eventually repopulate the gut.