• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Catalogue of articles on ME by Prof Hooper and Margaret Williams

Daisymay

The following website, containing a catalogue of all the articles on ME written by Margaret Williams and Professor Malcolm Hooper, is being launched today:

www.margaretwilliams.me

The articles in this catalogue have been available on the internet or elsewhere for many years but now for the first time have been brought together in one place. The intention is to provide a valuable historical resource for researchers, advocates, patients and anyone interested in the illness Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. These articles illustrate how the "Wessely School" have ignored the biomedical science on ME/CFS for almost 30 years.

Margaret Williams is the pen-name used by someone who spent her professional life in the British National Health Service (NHS), latterly in a senior clinical capacity for many years until severe ME put an end to her career. For professional and personal reasons she does not wish her own name to be in the public domain.

Malcolm Hooper is Professor Emeritus of Medicinal Chemistry at the University of Sunderland in the UK, and is an advocate for ME/CFS patients. He chaired the International Invest in ME Conference in 2008, 2010, and 2011. He is also the Chief Scientific Adviser to the British Gulf War Veterans Association.

With contributions from Eileen Marshall (1994-2007) and others.

www.margaretwilliams.me

Last edited:
This link doesn't seem to work for me. I get a page that says I've exceeded my something something limit . . . Is it just me?

Daisymay

This link doesn't seem to work for me. I get a page that says I've exceeded my something something limit . . . Is it just me?

We understand that the site has crashed with too many people using it and it will be fixed by tomorrow.

The link works now. Much easier to read now - the layout of the articles is much better. What a huge body of work. It's going to take a while but I'm going to read my way through the whole collection. If I live that long :)

Yogi

@Daisymay Thank you for putting this link up here. M Williams and Prof Hoopers work is great and very useful and provides a lot of the historical background. However it was becoming very difficult if not impossible to access the relevant information quickly given the volume they have put out over the last 20 years on the MEactionUk website. I was going to ask if it could become more accessible such as all in one place and chronological and now they have done it.

This will be helpful to all the newer advocates and hopefully as more journalists become interested in the story.

Big thanks to Margaret Williams and Prof Hooper once again for making it so accessible and in date order!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

David Tuller also found it very useful

Last edited: