• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

hypocholesterolemia treatment

My total cholesterol hit 100 in the exam, which is very very low. Cholesterol under 150 is considered hypocholesterolemia. Since cholesterol is precursor to many steroidal hormones, i theory i would lack many of them, like cortisol, which would be triggering fatigue. What i know also is that Cholesterol is also produced by the liver and if its not functioning well, it might not produce enought cortisol.

I sawl a post in the internet of a doctor treating low cholesterol with high doses of pregnenolone and DHEA to compensate low cholesterol. For you to understand better, i will post a picture below

steroid%20pathway.jpg

If pregnenolone and DHEA are provided in high doses, in theory, cholesterol would raise a bit, because it would not be as required as before to produce the hormones, because we would already would have the base elements provided.
Also, feeding on high fat would be a good idea because it would in theory increase cholesterol, specially HDL with the right fats, like olive oil and coconut oil.

Does anyone knows another method to treat hypocholesterolemia?

My total cholesterol hit 100 in the exam, which is very very low. Cholesterol under 150 is considered hypocholesterolemia. Since cholesterol is precursor to many steroidal hormones, i theory i would lack many of them, like cortisol, which would be triggering fatigue. What i know also is that Cholesterol is also produced by the liver and if its not functioning well, it might not produce enought cortisol.

I sawl a post in the internet of a doctor treating low cholesterol with high doses of pregnenolone and DHEA to compensate low cholesterol. For you to understand better, i will post a picture below

steroid%20pathway.jpg

If pregnenolone and DHEA are provided in high doses, in theory, cholesterol would raise a bit, because it would not be as required as before to produce the hormones, because we would already would have the base elements provided.
Also, feeding on high fat would be a good idea because it would in theory increase cholesterol, specially HDL with the right fats, like olive oil and coconut oil.

Does anyone knows another method to treat hypocholesterolemia?
Have you and your doctor looked at all the possible causes?According to Wikipedia possible causes of hypocholesterolemia can be hypothyroidism,malabsorption,betalipoproteinamia,hypobetalipoproteinamia(the last 2 are rare and you would have below 50 mg/dl),manganese deficiency,Smith-Lemli-Opitz syndrome,Marfan syndrome,liver disease and leukemia.if you exclude everything else, since liver disease cannot be reliably daignosed via blood tests I can give you quotes from medical journals regarding the unreliability of liver function tests if you or your doctor think there is a reason to look further into the liver.Whatever treatment you take whether it's hormones or antibiotics my advice would be to look into the side effects(do your own search on the net) especially side effects that affect the liver since in my experience doctors don't pay as much attention as they should to liver damage caused by medications.