• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Essential oils applied to feet - any good for CFS?

Bansaw

Has anyone had any joy with essential oils applied to the soles of their feet?
I am getting some for sleep issues, but I wondered if anyone has tried essential oils for CFS, and which ones they tried for energy?

I know my absorption is not great so I was encouraged to read:
"If applied all over the bottom of the foot, the oil can be detected in every cell of the body within 20 minutes."
I know some people that say applying peppermint oil really gives them muscle relief, and even (for some odd reason that no-one knows) applying oil to the back of the ear, can have some interesting benefits.

Any comments?

u&iraok

I have used lavender oil for relaxation and to help me sleep but have not applied it to the soles of my feet. I put it on my head and neck and it works pretty well. When I used to have PMS it really helped when I was irritable and tense.

I've used lemongrass on my stomach for stomach ache and that has worked well.

I don't like peppermint oil, makes me feel a little nauseous to smell it and it's so strong but I've used a blend called PanAway by Young Living which has Wintergreen, Helichrysum, Peppermint and Clove oils. It's expensive but it worked pretty well. I even used in on my dog's sore leg and she didn't limp after that.

Rosemary helps my husband's headaches a little bit sometimes. It has a nice refreshing smell which is kind of a pick-me-up.

Just be careful of course to dilute them with a carrier oil before applying them to the skin and only some of the oils are safe for ingesting. Most are not.

If money is an issue I would concentrate on others things as the oils are helpful but not so much so that it is necessarily worth spending a lot of money on them, unless maybe you have someone apply them that is trained to do it and has good results. I've heard some good stories with people with respiratory/breathing issues. I did have a bad stomach ache once and the lemon grass did work like a miracle I have to say, and of course anything that can help PMS is great.

Misfit Toy

I know essential oils help a lot of people. My biggest issue is the smell. They can bring on a major headache for me. Essential oils are strong in smell and that alone can cause me to be sick.

If its for relaxation/help with sleeping, massage/wipe on appropriately diluted essential oil (diluted in vegetable oil/olive oil etc according to the instructions) .... neck, face (avoiding mouth and eyes, nostrils), ... can massage into shoulders and scalp if you don't mind greasy hair.. anywhere you can reach really. If I am not up to massaging it in I just kind of wipe it on, better than nothing.

Peppermint can be sickly, rosemary is rather stimulating (wake up oil) ... but anything recommended for relaxation, lavender, camomile, petitgrain, frankincense is great but rather pricey .... go for oils which you like the smell of ....

When my muscle pain is at its worse I never found oils or massage makes much difference on their own tbh, but using oils on my head and neck and face enables me to doze and relax when pain is bad, a kind of adjunct to the painkillers and anti-inflammatory medication.

When most ill the smell can be just overpowering though.

taniaaust1

make sure you mix these with other oils if pure essential oils. Lavender oil can be used undiluted though and is often used by people for sleep (I personally dont find essential oils strong enough to help my sleep issues). This is often used by putting a few drops onto a tissue and then putting that into a pillow case.. with aromatherapy you dont need to absorb it into skin, you breath the oil in.

Bansaw

make sure you mix these with other oils if pure essential oils. Lavender oil can be used undiluted though and is often used by people for sleep (I personally dont find essential oils strong enough to help my sleep issues). .
I have used an essential oil blend but I combined it with a supplement called Sleep Relax which has valarian & hops in, and the combination of the two seems to have helped me.

taniaaust1

I have used an essential oil blend but I combined it with a supplement called Sleep Relax which has valarian & hops in, and the combination of the two seems to have helped me.

glad to hear it's worked for you :) . Valerain and hops and doing everything herbs in combo never worked for me. I had to do a combo of melatonin and benzo drug and another drug.

I just tried to find the Sleep Relax supplement online to see if anything else was in that but cant find it. What brand is this?

for anyone interested, I just found an interesting link http://www.wellandgood.com/good-advice/5-natural-sleep-supplements-that-actually-work/slide/10/ (I hadnt heard of holy basil before for sleep problems connected with waking at 3-4am due to cortisol issues).

cman89

I use a mint based oil for neuralgia and muscle pain. It is strong , and even with my lack of smell sensitivity, it will give me a headache.