• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SIBO, Cholestyramine, Bile Acids And a Nervous System Gone Haywire

Hi, this is my first post on Phoenix Rising!

I’m hoping you don’t mind me posting this here. It’s not directly related to ME/CFS, but I don’t know where else to put it since my medical history is askew. I REALLY tried to keep it short hoping someone could help, but it’s all so complicated.

Diagnosed with IBS-D for 11 years. After 6 years I came down with something similar to ME/CFS. I don’t have an official diagnosis. Other than moderate to severe chronic fatigue and IBS I’ve been suffering from a wide range of symptoms. Restless legs, nerve vibrations, tinnitus, fasciculations, overall weakness, bruising without cause, brain fog etc

Recently my doctor found that I had abnormally low levels of 7α-Hydroxy-4-cholesten-3-one (an intermediate in the biochemical synthesis of bile acids from cholesterol), which would mean my bile acid synthesis is impaired such as in cholestatic liver diseases due to mechanical blockages or disturbances in bile formation. I.e I produce TOO LITTLE bile. Hence, he ran liver tests + bile acids in blood. The liver tests were and are completely normal and have been a long time, though I did have elevated total serum bile acids and hypercholesterolemia.

I had an ultrasound done, which showed dilated bile ducts and an enlarged liver. Later I got to do an MRI, which to my surprise came back completely clear. Considering the MRI and the normal LFTs my doctor excluded an actual liver disease.

He somehow suspected that SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) could be the culprit, and got me started on a medication called Questran/Cholestyramine; a bile acid sequestrant which binds bile in the gastrointestinal tract to prevent its reabsorption. It’s most often used on patients who produce too much bile, but he had a theory that it might work on me too. According to the new blood tests the medication had vastly improved my serum levels of 7α-Hydroxy-4-cholesten-3-one, and reduced my total cholesterol.

The only issue is I feel way worse. After being on Questran for about a month my restless legs which was manageable at the time skyrocketed. I got severe nerve vibrations all through my body, like shooting electricity from my spine to my legs and arms and head and back again. My nerves are constantly vibrating, sometimes painful sometimes not. My fatigue is increasing, so is the tinnitus, and it feels like Questran made my nervous system go haywire. My IBS did not improve while on the medication. Now I also have a dull ache in my liver area.

I briefly mentioned this to my doctor but he was certain it was unrelated and urged me to continue to take the medication. I was wary, but have taken it a couple of times with unclear results, though currently I’m off it completely because my symptoms are so difficult I simply don’t dare to take it.

Ever since then it’s been clear to me that my nervous system issues and fatigue is somehow related to whatever’s wrong with my bile acid synthesis. I also speculated that since the synthesis has been impaired for a while, my liver would logically (?) have accumulated hormones, toxins, foreign chemicals and heavy metals that would otherwise have been expelled with a normal bile production. So, I’m thinking the medication kick-started my bile acid synthesis which in turn left me with those accumulated hormones, toxins, foreign chemicals and heavy metals in circulation, affecting my nervous system. This is only a theory though.

I’ve been reading up on everything from manganism to xanthoma of the central nervous system and hepatic encephalopathy. But since my doctor isn’t suspecting an actual liver disease – and there’s no way for me to figure out what’s going on without testing – I’m not sure what to think. I’m starting to get a little suspicious of the accurateness of the MRI though, but my doctor says it can be trusted. Otherwise, the dilated bile ducts on the ultrasound would point to perhaps Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis PSC, but I’ve been ill for so long so I find it unlikely that my LFTs would be normal after 11 years of possible PSC.

Well, I guess my question is if someone on here have an experience with Questran and possible side effects? Of the 7α-Hydroxy-4-cholesten-3-one serum test? Or a general idea of what may be going on with my body? Can I trust the MRI? Do you have any ideas of what testing I should ask for to figure out my increasing nervous system symptoms? Could it have something to do with my elevated bile acid levels rather than a release of toxic substances? Possible deficiencies?

I know it's a difficult case and difficult questions, but people on here are often very knowledgeable, so I'm just hoping someone will recognize something from my story and maybe be able to provide me with some clues on what could be going on.

Thank you for reading!

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@space8 - Most doctors seem to know very little about side (actual) effects of medicines and usually discount what patients tell them. You do have to listen to your body and if the Questran is making you feel so awful, I would definitely stop it.

A little research turned up bile acid malabsorption, which is often wrongly diagnosed is IBS-D. If you do a google search, you'll find a lot of info on this. It can be caused by SIBO, and I don't believe Questran is a treatment for SIBO. The bile acid malaborption can also just be of unknown origin.

SIBO is often caused by low stomach acid and when that is remedied, the SIBO disappears. There are drugs for SIBO but I would start with investigating stomach acid levels. None of us are sick due to a lack of drugs and I've found that most often drugs are not the solution, and instead often create a host of new problems (like you're dealing with). Here's a simple test you can do to help check stomach acid:

On an empty stomach, drink a glass of water (about 8 oz.) into which you have mixed one-quarter teaspoon of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate). See how long it takes you to burp. If you haven't burped in two minutes, your stomach acid production is low.

Some other things come to mind - since you've had diarrhea for many years, it's almost a certainty that your electrolytes and other nutrients are out of balance or depleted. e.g., if your potassium is low, that can cause severe fatigue. Your muscle twitches can also be caused by low potassium, and magnesium too. I think it's likely your B12 is deficient. The list goes on.

If I were you, I would try to find a functional or integrative medicine doctor - someone who will look at your nutritional status instead of just handing out drugs. Naturopaths can be good too.

One other thing - I used to have a host of digestive problems including an inflamed gallbladder, toxic liver, stuck ileocecal valve (yep!), low stomach acid. My chiropractor who does muscle testing helped me with all of these, without drugs. You might look into this as well. It was amazing what he was able to do. He used supplments from Standard Process and my digestion is now overall very good. I do still need to take betaine HCL with pepsin with heavy meals, but I don't mind.

Since your digestion has been screwed up for so long, I think it's quite likely that most of your problems are due to nutritional imbalances and deficiencies. and of course this is only my opinion, I can't diagnose you, but this is what I would look into if I were you. And hopefully a different doctor - and I think an integrative or functional medicine doctor, or a naturopath would be best- or even a competent chiropractor who does muscle testing - can help you get it all sorted out.

Thank goodness someone answered. I was sure no one was going to bother to read all that. So, thank you Mary! Though I need to add right away and I also added it to my first post, because I was definitely too vague. My issue is the opposite of bile acid malabsorption where you've got too much bile, I have too little bile.

It's very rare to have a patient come up low on the 7α-Hydroxy-4-cholesten-3-one serum test (low bile acid production) without them having a cholestatic liver disease (cholestasis is a condition where bile cannot flow from the liver to the duodenum), which I don't appear to suffer from according to my MRI and my LFTs. That's why it's all so mysterious. To sum it up the question me and my doctor is dealing with is: Why do I got a low bile acid production if I don't have a cholestatic liver disease?

I.e my doctor is actually using Questran for the opposite issue of what it's designed for (it's designed for the condition you mentioned - bile acid malabsorption - where you've got a high bile acid production), and according to the blood tests it seems to have been a solid idea since my low bile acid production (low 7α-Hydroxy-4-cholesten-3-one) are now in normal range. Though I don't feel well in any case.

Thank you for the advice on Questran. The symptoms increased subtly so it was a gradual onset, why I'm still unsure exactly how Questran would have caused my reaction, but it does say that the medication can produce nervous system side effects such as nerve pain, it just doesn't say how and why.

I'll definitely try the baking soda test! Thanks. I really need to figure out what's going on. About SIBO. He actually thinks it's the SIBO that causing me to have the low 7α-Hydroxy-4-cholesten-3-one levels (even though it usually causes bile acid malabsorption / high 7α-Hydroxy-4-cholesten-3-one levels). Though my follow up question to that would be: Then what's causing the SIBO? It seems to me as if it's the impaired bile flow that would have lead me to develop an overgrowth of bacteria, since there wasn't enough bile to keep my small intestine clean. Though my doctor is not sure yet either which comes first, the chicken or the egg.

I always think so too, that I possibly can't be getting all the nutrients I need, but every time I test my vitamin/mineral levels they're in range. It's so weird. The "only" thing I haven't tested is probably Vitamin E and Iodine. Possibly something else. My diet isn't even very varied so I don't know where I'd be getting all those vitamin/minerals. Topical magnesium helps a little. Though I hate using it so much that I barely think it's worth it (it hurts and itch A LOT even though I dilute it). It's a shame. I've always thought my nervous system symptoms must be due to a deficiency, but now I'm leaning towards the theory that it's toxins (from the liver or the gut) affecting my nervous system. But I'm highly uncertain.

Thank you so much for all your suggestions, and your time!

Last edited:

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi @space8 - Sorry, I did misunderstand, thought you were overproducing bile. Okay, well, there's a very good product called AF Betafood from Standard Process which helps increase bile flow. My chiropractor gave this to me when my gallbladder was inflamed and just not working right, and this stuff helped immeasurably. Why was my gallbladder inflamed? I'm not sure but I think it was related to low stomach acid. Eventually I learned I had to start taking hydrochloric acid (betaine HCL with pepsin) with each meal and the gallbladder problems stopped. Again, low stomach acid is implicated in SIBO, so if your root problem is low stomach acid, that's easily dealt with. And of course this can all affect your liver.

Even though my potassium levels are in the normal (low normal) range, I have trouble getting enough. I know my potassium is going low when I get muscle twitches in my feet and legs; low potassium also causes severe fatigue for me. So I still think it's very possible that your electrolytes might be off. Many of us here have electrolyte issues, despite normal seeming blood work. One good source of potassium is low sodium V8. I also take potassium supplement, plus magnesium and a ton of other stuff.

When I first saw the chiropractor who does muscle testing, my digestion had been off, I had been feeling sick, and within a few minutes he found a problem with my bile ducts. He gave me collinsonia root by Standard Process and I think it was choline (this was a long time ago). Within a few days I started to feel better. Eventually I had other problems but he helped me with all of them, including my liver which was overwhelmed with toxins. It all showed up on muscle testing and he was able to help me with all of it. So I strongly recommend this, he helped me when doctors were clueless.

Maybe someone else can weigh in here, I'm just going by my experience. And again, perhaps an integrative or functional medicine doctor might be of more help to you - good luck!

alicec

Bile acid sequestrants also bind folate and B12.

Depletion of these vitamins could well be contributing to the worsening of symptoms.

All fat soluble vitamins are depleted - eg vit A, D,E,K. This could be an issue also though the folate/B12 issue may be of more immediate relevance.

Last edited:

Silence

Hey space. I have ibs-d, too, and also did a stool test that showed that some secondary bile acids were out of wack. I also experience rls, and vibrations throughout my body. Recently, I have noticed that my right lower abdomen seems a bit distended compared to the left side which is why I am going to ask my doctor for an ultrasound to check my liver and gallbladder.

For me, my diarrhea seems to be caused by candida albicans infection that never goes away. But I will say that there seems to be a bile acid component because i cannot digest fats and have yellow stools.

If you' ve had diarrhea for this long you can be certain that you have some nutritional deficiencies. Ive had diarrhea for 3 years and have a few deficiencies.

Ive also taken cholestyramine, but couldnt take it for long because it made me feel crazy and wrecked my gut.

Id like to ask what bile acid test you had done, as i would like to also have it done.

Hi, this is my first post on Phoenix Rising!

I’m hoping you don’t mind me posting this here. It’s not directly related to ME/CFS, but I don’t know where else to put it since my medical history is askew. I REALLY tried to keep it short hoping someone could help, but it’s all so complicated.

Diagnosed with IBS-D for 11 years. After 6 years I came down with something similar to ME/CFS. I don’t have an official diagnosis. Other than moderate to severe chronic fatigue and IBS I’ve been suffering from a wide range of symptoms. Restless legs, nerve vibrations, tinnitus, fasciculations, overall weakness, bruising without cause, brain fog etc

Recently my doctor found that I had abnormally low levels of 7α-Hydroxy-4-cholesten-3-one (an intermediate in the biochemical synthesis of bile acids from cholesterol), which would mean my bile acid synthesis is impaired such as in cholestatic liver diseases due to mechanical blockages or disturbances in bile formation. I.e I produce TOO LITTLE bile. Hence, he ran liver tests + bile acids in blood. The liver tests were and are completely normal and have been a long time, though I did have elevated total serum bile acids and hypercholesterolemia.

I had an ultrasound done, which showed dilated bile ducts and an enlarged liver. Later I got to do an MRI, which to my surprise came back completely clear. Considering the MRI and the normal LFTs my doctor excluded an actual liver disease.

He somehow suspected that SIBO (small intestine bacterial overgrowth) could be the culprit, and got me started on a medication called Questran/Cholestyramine; a bile acid sequestrant which binds bile in the gastrointestinal tract to prevent its reabsorption. It’s most often used on patients who produce too much bile, but he had a theory that it might work on me too. According to the new blood tests the medication had vastly improved my serum levels of 7α-Hydroxy-4-cholesten-3-one, and reduced my total cholesterol.

The only issue is I feel way worse. After being on Questran for about a month my restless legs which was manageable at the time skyrocketed. I got severe nerve vibrations all through my body, like shooting electricity from my spine to my legs and arms and head and back again. My nerves are constantly vibrating, sometimes painful sometimes not. My fatigue is increasing, so is the tinnitus, and it feels like Questran made my nervous system go haywire. My IBS did not improve while on the medication. Now I also have a dull ache in my liver area.

I briefly mentioned this to my doctor but he was certain it was unrelated and urged me to continue to take the medication. I was wary, but have taken it a couple of times with unclear results, though currently I’m off it completely because my symptoms are so difficult I simply don’t dare to take it.

Ever since then it’s been clear to me that my nervous system issues and fatigue is somehow related to whatever’s wrong with my bile acid synthesis. I also speculated that since the synthesis has been impaired for a while, my liver would logically (?) have accumulated hormones, toxins, foreign chemicals and heavy metals that would otherwise have been expelled with a normal bile production. So, I’m thinking the medication kick-started my bile acid synthesis which in turn left me with those accumulated hormones, toxins, foreign chemicals and heavy metals in circulation, affecting my nervous system. This is only a theory though.

I’ve been reading up on everything from manganism to xanthoma of the central nervous system and hepatic encephalopathy. But since my doctor isn’t suspecting an actual liver disease – and there’s no way for me to figure out what’s going on without testing – I’m not sure what to think. I’m starting to get a little suspicious of the accurateness of the MRI though, but my doctor says it can be trusted. Otherwise, the dilated bile ducts on the ultrasound would point to perhaps Primary Sclerosing Cholangitis PSC, but I’ve been ill for so long so I find it unlikely that my LFTs would be normal after 11 years of possible PSC.

Well, I guess my question is if someone on here have an experience with Questran and possible side effects? Of the 7α-Hydroxy-4-cholesten-3-one serum test? Or a general idea of what may be going on with my body? Can I trust the MRI? Do you have any ideas of what testing I should ask for to figure out my increasing nervous system symptoms? Could it have something to do with my elevated bile acid levels rather than a release of toxic substances? Possible deficiencies?

I know it's a difficult case and difficult questions, but people on here are often very knowledgeable, so I'm just hoping someone will recognize something from my story and maybe be able to provide me with some clues on what could be going on.

Thank you for reading!
I am sending you 2 quotes from medical journals regarding the unreliability of liver function tests.I hope that your doctor will take them into consideration.
a)Ricketts,W E Pathological liver with minimal or no change in liver tests Am J Med Sci 1951;Mar 22:(3):291''Liver tests within normal range are not synonymous with the abscence of liver pathology a point not sufficiently emphasized...Approximately one-tenth of the normal parenchyma is able to carry on adequate function..The most frequently abnormal test,and thus the best screening test was found to be the bromsulfalein retention''
b)Zamcheck,N,Sidman RL Needle Biopsy of the Liver-Its use in Clinical and Investigative Medicine The New England Journal of Medicine 1953;vol 249No25:1022"In every hospital there are patients whose serious illness remains undiagnosed despite prolonged clinical and laboratory study.There may be no clinical findings to suggest liver disease.Yet liver biopsy even in the abscence of hepatomegaly,has proved useful in such cases.Von Falkenhausen et al recommend the use of liver biopsy in all cases of obscure illness in which a definite and clear diagnosis cannot be made by ordinary methods''
and c) regarding fatigue and liver disease E Anthony Jones Fatigue associated with chronic liver disease:A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma Hepatology 1995 Nov 22(5)p1606"'There is a strong clinical impression that many patients with compensated chronic liver disease develop fatigue of a severity that seems to be out of proportion to the patient's general medical condition...fatigue can be the dominant,and may be the only symptom in patients with chronic cholestasis''

Hepatic encephalopathy is only useful in establishing a link between severe liver damage and brain damage but it only applies in specific conditions(hemorrhage,coma,porto caval shunt).I have photocopies from medical books in which it is written that cholestasis affects the part of the liver where chemicals are detoxified(centrilobular distribution of cholestatic liver damage).I think that the chapter Cholestasis,Its ultrastructural aspects written by Phillips,Oda and Funatsu is from a book edited by Hans Popper Schaffner Fenton.I have similar issues(suspected cholestatic liver damage-intolerance to chemicals)but as far as I can tell there is a lack of research in that area as well as in other areas that concern the liver(eg it's involvement in the immune response).A study had found higher organochlorine levels in the serum of CFS patients A preliminary investigation of chlorinated hydrocarbons and chronic fatigue syndrome R Hugh Dunstan et al Med J Aust 1995;163:294-297 although there is no mention of the liver or slower detoxification of chemicals as being an issue.

Jwarrior77

@space8 Any updates to this? Did you ever find out what was causing the bile acid to be high? I think I'm in the same situation here. My bile acids in my blood are high but I don't have diarrhea. Instead I have very pale stools and it just seems like my liver isn't making enough bile for some reason. Its like cholestasis but I don't have any real evidence of it based on my ultrasound of my liver and gallbladder. I got prescribed Cholestipol I wonder if that may be better than Cholestyramine. Did you start getting bad symptoms immediately when starting Cholestyramine or did it build up over time?

@space8 Any updates to this?

Not really unfortunately. I still have the same issue with a low bile acid production and no real answers since. I have found out that I have liver diseases in my family though as two people recently have been diagnosed with some pretty serious liver problems. I'm thinking it might be genetic for me, but I still don't have any evidence of a specific liver disease in my case.

My symptoms started after two weeks or so, if I remember it correctly, after starting Cholestyramine, but it wasn't a great period overall since I was severely mentally and physically affected from being ill for so many years. My body and everything kind of just broke down suddenly. Cholestyramine did seem to be the trigger though.

I thought about what cfs6691 wrote above (which I just noticed), that "cholestasis affects the part of the liver where chemicals are detoxified". I thought perhaps that Cholestyramine kickstarted some sort of detoxification process - like the bile acid version of the herxheimer reaction in which toxins are dumped in you body causing a bunch of uncomfortable symptoms. It's just a theory. Although I don't think the reaction I, possibly, had to the medication is very common fortunately so I hope it works out better for you!

But I'm disappointed to hear that your doctor doesn't want to examine you further. The pale stools are obviously a sign of bile/bilirubin issues and/or steatorrhea (due to lack of bile/bilirubin). The elevated bile acids as well. Not sure why that's not worthy of further examination.

Why do doctors always think illnesses must be physically visible to be valid? That's a clear trend among most doctors imo ... seeing they didn't want to go beyond an ultrasound despite evidence of abnormal test results. Some causes that wouldn't be visible via an ultrasound is listed in the wiki article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cholestasis#Causes

But well, I'm no wiser either even though it was soon 5 years ago I wrote that post! Let me know if you find something out! It would mean the world to me if I got to figure out what the h* is wrong with my body, since it's a lot.

Hi,

Bile acid synthesis is regulated by the FXR receptor. When bile acids are high, FXR is activated and bile flow stops to regulate levels. When bile acids are low, new bile gets released. I think that taking a bile acid sequestrant made your liver produce some new bile, which might've given you a big herx reaction

@Outlaw, thank you so much for that theory! It's very possible. That was exactly how it felt. Some type of herxheimer reaction. But it was extreme. I felt so bad mentally and physically. Mentally it felt like all my GABA had been swiped from my body and my natural ability to calm myself was just suddenly gone. Physically I had "electricity" shooting from my spine everywhere and RLS, tinnitus, twitching etc.

All I know is that my nervous system freaked out in correlation to taking the medicine. It is however really difficult to know if the medication caused my symptoms or not.

My doctor actually wants me to get on it again to lower my cholesterol. They don't think the bile acid sequestrant caused my symptoms (though there are some neurological side effects mentioned such as anxiety, tinnitus and paresthesia - all of which I experienced to a degree).

They believe I have some type of genetic condition (inborn errors of bile acid metabolism) and since that's so incredibly rare who knows how you're supposed to react when your bile acid synthesis is naturally suppressed due to some enzyme defect and then kickstarting it again by taking the bile med ...? It's not so fun having a rare condition because you can't read up on it, and it's apparently difficult to test for, so they're just guessing at this point.

If I get the same set of symptoms again though I think it's safe to say that the medication affects me like that. But I'm really really scared taking it again. I don't want to go through all that again.

Thank you!

Interestingly I found an article called "Metabolic features of chronic fatigue syndrome" when just casually searching for bile acid related content where they mention farnesoid X receptor signaling and had found that chenodeoxycholic acid was decreased in women with CFS.

https://www.pnas.org/doi/10.1073/pnas.1607571113

So perhaps my bile acid issues is in some way related to my ME related issues after all (possibly) ... most people with bile acid synthesis disorders seem to get severely ill already as babies and their liver takes damage. But my liver enzymes have been fine hitherto so I don't know how that would work ... However, just thought it was interesting:

"Plasma chenodeoxycholic acid (CDCA) was decreased in females (Table 3, Females). CDCA is a primary bile acid made from cholesterol. Decreased cholesterol flux can result in decreased substrate for bile acid synthesis needed for normal fat digestion and microbiome signaling (24). The absence of adequate bile acid delivery can lead to a loss in intestinal mucosal integrity and leaky gut via a cascade of events stemming in part from disrupted farnesoid X receptor signaling (25)."

Last edited:
Some type of herxheimer reaction. But it was extreme. I felt so bad mentally and physically.
Have you done any tests for Candida? I've read some studies about Candida getting into the billiary tract:

[1] Gallbladder and biliary tract candidiasis

[2] Prospective observational multicenter study to define a diagnostic algorithm for biliary candidiasis

[3] Fungal infections and the fungal microbiome in hepatobiliary disorders

The last study has an interesting conclusion. Here is a small quote:
Nevertheless, we know that some fungi are hepatotoxic themselves and not just bystanders – for example, rodents colonised with C. albicans develop liver disease without additional stimuli. Fungi might hence possibly exacerbate liver disease in a two-hit model, one hit being alcohol, western diet, or a toxin, and another hit being the presence and deleterious impact of fungi.

Last edited: