• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Collagen Protocol for Joint Pain (possibly from Lyme?)

Lotus97

Stephen Buhner, author of Healing Lyme and a new book on coinfections bartonella and mycoplasma, has a collagen building protocol. I have a couple of questions.

One of the things he recommends is pregnenolone. The dosages he recommends seem kind of high (50-200 mg). Is that normal to take that much pregnenolone?

Another thing he recommends is silicon as orthosilicic acid such as BioSil. Swanson is selling a bamboo extract that's standardized to 70% silica.
http://www.swansonvitamins.com/swanson-superior-herbs-bamboo-extract-300-mg-60-veg-caps
There are also other companies that are selling silica from bamboo extract, but not much more expensive than Swanson's. The bamboo extracts have a much higher amount of silica so it seems like it would be a lot cheaper to use that, but I was wondering if it's the same thing as Biosil or Flora's vegetal silica since those are so much for expensive.

perchance dreamer

Hi, @Lotus97. I take Jarrowsil because Biosil has choline, which can sometimes give me sleep problems. Here's the Jarrowsil description:

http://www.jarrow.com/product/491/JarroSil

I also take Great Lakes Collagen powder. Both these supplements help me somewhat with joint pain, but not as much as other things. They are both thought to help with bone health, so that's the main reason I continue taking them.

I started them around the same time, so I don't know which is the main contributor, but my hair has grown much more wavy. I like that for the most part although I'm not quite sure how wavy hair works yet as far as styling goes. Also, my fingernails are healthier now.

Hanna

Hi, @Lotus97. I take Jarrowsil because Biosil has choline, which can sometimes give me sleep problems. Here's the Jarrowsil description:

http://www.jarrow.com/product/491/JarroSil

I also take Great Lakes Collagen powder. Both these supplements help me somewhat with joint pain, but not as much as other things. They are both thought to help with bone health, so that's the main reason I continue taking them.

I started them around the same time, so I don't know which is the main contributor, but my hair has grown much more wavy. I like that for the most part although I'm not quite sure how wavy hair works yet as far as styling goes. Also, my fingernails are healthier now.
Thanks for your answer @perchance dreamer , I hesitate between the colloidal silica (like in the Hubner original silica) and the orthosilicilic acid form (i.e bioactive silicon) as it appears in the jarrosil.
On the one hand the later is said to be more absorbed, but I am frightened of any use of silicon in body. Is it totally safe ?

Lotus97

Is someone doing the Buhner protocol for collagen support (for lyme and co) ?
@Lotus97 have you done it ? with which results and products ?
I'm not sure if it helped or not. I still haven't found the cause/treatment for pain in my hands. Sometimes it's fine and then it gets bad again. I try to limit activity as much as possible, but it's hard to stay off the computer.

Gondwanaland

On the one hand the later is said to be more absorbed, but I am frightened of any use of silicon in body. Is it totally safe ?
The mineral silica. I found it very beneficial, and the only water that satiates my thirst is silica-rich water to which I have no access here where I live right now. I don't feel the benefits anymore, probably due to lack of co-factors.