• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Book: Statistics Done Wrong

barbc56

This looks like an interesting and informative book. I don't know if/when I'd be able to read it but it looks like a good resource and it's only 129 pages long. I particularly like what I highlighted in the below quote.
Statistics is hard, often counterintuitive, and burdened with esoteric mathematical equations. Statistics classes can be boring and demanding; students might be tempted to call it “Sadistics.” Good statistics are essential to good research; unfortunately many scientists and even some statisticians are doing statistics wrong. Statistician Alex Reinhart has written a helpful book, Statistics Done Wrong: The Woefully Complete Guide, that every researcher and everyone who reads research would benefit from reading. The book contains a few graphs but is blissfully equation-free. It doesn’t teach how to calculate anything; it explains blunders in recent research and how to avoid them.
My bold.
https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/statistics-done-wrong-and-how-to-do-better/

barbc56

Seems you can buy it here
Thanks, Keela. The more I thought about the book, the more intrigued I got and decided last night I would buy it. I'm glad I read your post before I started looking. You saved me the time!:thumbsup::)

You can also download the book. I think it would be well worth the twenty dollars.

Just my cup of tea
Mit Sahne und Zucker? One of my new years resolutions was to work on my German but tbh, I used a goggle translation for this. It's also the first time I've actually worked on said resolution. So I guess I can check that as done since I never decided how much work! :D

Last edited:

barbc56

I'm tempted I have to admit, but since starting to be able to read books again, I've already a pile ready to read. :p

I'm so far behind in my reading things like this, it's ridiculous. However, maybe it's because I never turn down a good piece of fiction before reading the complicated stuff. I need to find an online book club!

How thrilling that you're able to read again. What wonderful news! I've always been an avid reader and keep a small notebook just in case someone happens to mention the title of a good book!

My stepmom also enjoys reading. She has RRMS so there are times her eyes bother her. She will then switch to audio books. However, if I can't read it's most likely system overload, so even an audio book would be too much.

Enjoy your reading!

Keela Too

Sally Burch
Yes when I had to give up it was heart breaking... luckily about the same time I discovered Audio books. I still love them actually - especially for fiction. Although I have to say that David Attenborough's autobiography read by the good man himself was very good too.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
Mit Sahne und Zucker? One of my new years resolutions was to work on my German but tbh, I used a goggle translation for this. It's also the first time I've actually worked on said resolution. So I guess I can check that as done since I never decided how much work! :D

Nein, lieber mit eine Scheibe Zitrone.

I've been meaning to work on my German for years, I've been living here for 24 years and my written German is still non-existent. I'll have to brush it up soon enough as I'm planning to apply for German citizenship this summer, which may well involve a language test (just found out I can keep my UK passport as long as I apply while the UK is still in the EU, which makes it a no-brainer).

If I hear of a book I know I'd love to read I just write it down on my "books to read" list now instead of buying it and finding it in the pile a year and a half later and thinking "That looks great, I must read it soon". It was getting ridiculous.

I'm more into podcasts now too, especially Radio 4, so currently I keep up with "More or Less" (statistics on a level I can understand - I listen to them in my car and can often be heard shouting "correlation isn't causation!" smugly at the speaker, or I could be if I had a passenger, although if I'm at a traffic light the driver of the car behind me can probably hear me too) and "The Infinite Monkey Cage" (science on a level I can almost understand).

@barbc56 now that you've bought the book perhaps you'd be kind enough to make a podcast for the rest of us when you find a moment?