• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

B. infantis for migraines?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I have migraines which seem to be partly triggered by foods rich in tyramine (a group that seem to overlap with foods rich in histamine).

I've read that B. infantis (available as Align) can help with migraines because it degrades histamine.

Has anyone tried it?

sarah darwins

I have migraines which seem to be partly triggered by foods rich in tyramine (a group that seem to overlap with foods rich in histamine).

I've read that B. infantis (available as Align) can help with migraines because it degrades histamine.

Has anyone tried it?

Funny you should ask ... I took a week of Align B.infantis about 2 to 3 weeks ago, when I found I couldn't tolerate an alternate that had been prescribed for me, and since then I haven't had to take a migraine med (I use almotriptan as needed). I tend to get migraines once every 7 to 10 days, so it's a bit early to say, but so far so good.

I'm now taking Align a couple of days a week, just to keep things topped up.

When I got a gut flora profile done last summer it recorded zero bifidus, and I strongly suspect a link to migraines there.

Re the Align, I would say 'promising'.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
You're welcome. One other thing — Align, and any bifidus-rich probiotic, makes me dream vividly. I've not really had any dream recollection since I became ill, but Align is like dream-powder. Be warned :)

Did you have to work up slowly to a normal dose (whatever it says on the packet)?

Gingergrrl

Do you guys think B. Infantis could help a headache triggered by IVIG even if not an official migraine? I've been seriously thinking about trying it just to lower histamine in and of itself but headache relief would be an added bonus!

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Do you guys think B. Infantis could help a headache triggered by IVIG even if not an official migraine? I've been seriously thinking about trying it just to lower histamine in and of itself but headache relief would be an added bonus!

I've got no clue, Gingergrrl! But a book I read about migraines by a neurologist (the one that allowed me to diagnose myself - later confirmed - and to succeed in reducing my migraines with a low-tyramine diet) said that basically, all headaches are migraines.

Gingergrrl

@Sasha All headaches are migraines even if we know the trigger (in my case) and I had no prior history of headaches? Am curious to learn more so I can avoid future headaches with each new infusion if possible. B Infantis (Align) would be an easy one for me to try.

Sasha

Fine, thank you

Gingergrrl

Thanks Sasha and will look at the link later but still have some Align that has not expired and am going to try it again.

JaimeS

You're welcome. One other thing — Align, and any bifidus-rich probiotic, makes me dream vividly. I've not really had any dream recollection since I became ill, but Align is like dream-powder. Be warned :)

Right? Isn't that weird?

It's like all the creativity that was hampered by my exhaustion comes flying back...

Re: histamine, DAO might help (diamine oxidase). It breaks down histamine.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Right? Isn't that weird?

It's like all the creativity that was hampered by my exhaustion comes flying back...

I was promised vivid dreams with resistant starch and it never happened!

Re: histamine, DAO might help (diamine oxidase). It breaks down histamine.

Not sure if I've got a histamine problem... seems hard to tell. Thanks for that tip, though!

My Align gets delivered today so looking forward to seeing what that does...

Gingergrrl

I haven't re-started the Align yet but when I do, will report back here. It's something I've been wanting to re-try again for quite a while and this thread prompted me to find the box. I've had vivid dreams my whole life so this won't be an issue but if it helps histamine, inflammation or headaches that would be great!

JaimeS

I was promised vivid dreams with resistant starch and it never happened!

Definitely didn't happen with me, @Sasha! But I did notice that some probiotics did this for me... only when I was quite ill, honestly, did they make this much of a difference. Unfortunately, I couldn't keep to that probiotic blend because it gave me neuroinflammation symptoms something fierce. To be specific, the back of my neck tightened, I found it harder to breathe, and after the first rush of creativity, harder to think.

-J