• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

5-HTTLPR (rs25531) and resilience to life stressors

Journeyman

Hi Folks,

Have just watched the last of the 4 part series 'Predict My Future - The Science of Us' which is primarily based on the heralded Dunedin Longitudinal Study and it made me realise that as great as the 23&Me panel is in covering so many different SNP's, I'm not sure it made any mention of this particular SNP. Yet according to the Dunedin Study the 5-HTTLPR (rs25531) gene is highly relevant to predicting a persons resilience to environmental stressors (which we are all subjected to in varying degrees)

Is it tested but just not reported in the 23&Me panel I had done 3 years ago? Can I find out what my reading was for this SNP (Valentijn I think you had a method for this - I remember using it to find out about my DHFR status IIRC) and Gestalt put up a Yasko results post which mentioned this SNP?

Is it tested but just not reported in the 23&Me panel I had done 3 years ago?
It was tested on the V3 and V4 chips, but shows "no call" for most people and "CC" for everyone else. According to SNPedia, it was almost entirely showing CC and never CT. So it's another SNP where 23andMe does test for it, but gives meaningless results.

ahmo

It must be tested, as when I read your post, the rs number is highlighted. I have snptips installed in Firefox, it highlights rs numbers that I share. My 23andme was done in late 2012.

I've got CC. I assume this shows lowered resilience, as that's certainly my experience.

I've got CC. I assume this shows lowered resilience, as that's certainly my experience.
No, the 23andMe results are meaningless for that SNP. Their testing of it was flawed. They've had similar problems with other SNPs in the past, though it's been most apparent when they say everyone has a very rare pathogenic missense mutation :p