• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lithium?

Jimbo39

Dr Amy seems pretty adamant about supplementing with lithium as it "plays a role in the transport of B12". She also mentioned "it competes with iodine." Should someone with thyroid problems be taking it? I don't think I can afford "frequent HMT, blood tests" to ensure everything is in balance.

alicec

Yasko is not a reliable source of information. She has made serious errors in interpretation of scientific studies, makes claims for SNPs which actually do nothing and promotes myths based on dubious assumptions.

Maybe you should look for some alternative sources of information.

L'engle

moogle
I'd be careful with it. At least one other person besides me has had side effects that lasted several months from taking quite small amounts of it. You can actually get trace amounts of lithium from some mineral waters like San Pellegrino. This may be a safer way to go. I think it does improve b12 transport but it does a host of other unpredictable things as well so sticking to trace amounts would be my advice. I've written on other threads about lithium as have others, if you search for it in the archived threads.

Jimbo39

Yasko is not a reliable source of information. She has made serious errors in interpretation of scientific studies, makes claims for SNPs which actually do nothing and promotes myths based on dubious assumptions.

Maybe you should look for some alternative sources of information.

That's why I'm here. I want to try FREDDDS protocol. Ive read it several times but seemed to have lost it. When I searched for it I came up with 129 posts. Does anyone have the link? I think Greg wrote it. Was it fredd or Rich who wrote that certain things need to be taken care of before starting the protocol? All I can remember is gut problems.

Critterina

I also am hypothyroid and take 50 micrograms of synthetic T4, which works for me. I had great results from 5 mg Li Orotate daily for about a year or two, then it started making me very sleepy. I thought, what the heck - take it at bedtime. Then it totally messed with my dreams/sleep. I think I made up for whatever I was lacking and am done with it for now.
NutraHacker is also not necessarily a good source of information, but of my top 100 SNPs, 10 of them said something like "may benefit from lithium". I decided to try it just on the preponderance of the SNPs with that comment. Glad I did. Glad I stopped. I'd try it again if depression started slipping in for unknown reasons.

Jimbo39

Thanks. I'll bookmark the protocol. I only want to take L. If it'll help transport B12 tho I do have depression. Stupid questions: how do I highlight quotes and how do I do the @ thing i.e. @so and so. Just type @ and the person's name?

L'engle

moogle
@Jimbo39 Yes you just start typing someone's name and a drop down list should appear.

Do you mean highlighting as in bolding or turning something into a link?

Jimbo39

@Mary Thanks for the link but I was looking for the long one that's almost like an interview. I believe Greg's asking Freddd questions about his protocol.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
how do I highlight quotes
If you use the 'Reply' or '+Multiquote' buttons at the lower right of the post, you will get the whole post quoted in your reply.

If just want to quote part of a post
:
select that part of the post
you will see '+Multiquote' and 'Reply' below your selection
click on the one you want