• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Paper on OI and POTS in adolescents

JaimeS

http://cpj.sagepub.com/content/early/2016/07/14/0009922816644730.extract

Freakin' creepy, honestly.

upload_2016-7-19_14-45-35.png

I've placed this here because they clearly are talking about fatigue as a symptom, not about CFS.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't POTS considered a kind of OI? The authors don't seem to think so.

Lead author from Mayo Clinic, which is just plain sad.

daisybell

So if you take away the perjorative language, which I have to say, pisses me off SO much, their hypothesis is that parents worry more and are more protective when their children are more sick.....
Seriously, what is wrong with these people that they are so removed from reality as to think its ok to write this drivel?

PennyIA

Well at least it's "parent overprotective behavior and catastraphizing" is the only piece being called out (as bad as that is)... at least they aren't indicating that it's Munchausen by Proxy... another bogus thing, but something that I as a pwME and parent of a child with chronic health issues - am very, very scared can get thrown at me.

JaimeS

So if you take away the perjorative language, which I have to say, pisses me off SO much, their hypothesis is that parents worry more and are more protective when their children are more sick.....
Seriously, what is wrong with these people that they are so removed from reality as to think its ok to write this drivel?

And as as we all know, post-hoc ergo propter hoc. Or, er, propter hoc, ergo post-hoc? What do you call it when someone thinks the cause is actually the effect and the effect is actually the cause?

-J

JaimeS

From a philosophical POV, I really DO have to wonder, in a 100% serious manner. Here is my serious face: o_O

Can they seriously be unaware that it makes far more sense the other way around from the manner in which they've presented the information? I don't like to think that you can really be this blinkered and still earn a PhD.

The other option is that they're trying to sell something. Are they trying to sell something?

Only other paper by the lead author is http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3656423/ which looks like a totally normal study at first glance, looking at RBC rigidity (which has also been implicated in ME in Australian studies) and its effect on oxygen uptake in aging populations.

PennyIA

Can they seriously be unaware that it makes far more sense the other way around from the manner in which they've presented the information? I don't like to think that you can really be this blinkered and still earn a PhD.

The other option is that they're trying to sell something. Are they trying to sell something?

I think they've just found it's easy to publish a paper blaming parents of children and since it's POPULAR to blame parents, then hey... .almost instance acceptance. And, look at that... resume and/or performance review time, they've got yet another paper published to help them get that new/better position and/or raise.

GreyOwl

Dx: strong belief system, avoidance, hypervigilant
Yes, my daughter's sudden increase in vasovagal episodes coinciding with a flare of other symptoms was caused by the fact she went to the doctor 7 months later.

Hutan

Ah well @GreyOwl, you see if her vasovagal episodes weren't
A. caused by your over-protectiveness and over-medicalising of every day symptoms,
then it was
B. because you were ignoring her and she wanted more attention from you, a cry for help.
Or
C. Both A and B.

Either way, you (and I) are the problem, not the medical profession's lack of knowledge.