• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Fecal transplant effectiveness could depend on more than just bacteria

A.B.

Abstract
Fecal transplants are increasingly utilized for treatment of recurrent infections (i.e., Clostridium difficile) in the human gut and as a general research tool for gain-of-function experiments (i.e., gavage of fecal pellets) in animal models. Changes observed in the recipient's biology are routinely attributed to bacterial cells in the donor feces (~1011 per gram of human wet stool). Here, we examine the literature and summarize findings on the composition of fecal matter in order to raise cautiously the profile of its multipart nature. In addition to viable bacteria, which may make up a small fraction of total fecal matter, other components in unprocessed human feces include colonocytes (~107 per gram of wet stool), archaea (~108 per gram of wet stool), viruses (~108 per gram of wet stool), fungi (~106 per gram of wet stool), protists, and metabolites. Thus, while speculative at this point and contingent on the transplant procedure and study system, nonbacterial matter could contribute to changes in the recipient's biology. There is a cautious need for continued reductionism to separate out the effects and interactions of each component.

http://dx.doi.org/10.1371/journal.pbio.1002503

roller

wiggle jiggle
hahaha

wasnt this to be expected anyway?
how reckless they are...

its the same with so many other thinks.. medicinal leeches, tapeworms ...

msf

Damn you protists!

I think what this research shows is that even taking into account the bacteriome and the virome may not be enough.

roller

wiggle jiggle
this is all so old news...

they ignore that.
their thinking and approach is so far off reality, that there seems no cure in 1,000 years..

perhaps they are afraid of that big icky stuff causing all the disease and rather chose to print rgb-brainscans, in their white poloshirts...

TigerLilea

Thus, while speculative at this point and contingent on the transplant procedure and study system, nonbacterial matter could contribute to changes in the recipient's biology.

I read of one person who after having a FMT started gaining weight which was never an issue for them before the transplant. It turned out that the donor of the FM was overweight.