• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Getting sick from new phone jack

Womble

The phone company had to fix our phone lines today because of static.

We had a DSL internet line and a phone line connected to an old
phone jack.

For some strange reason, the technician decided to replace this outlet
with a more modern one that he calls "modular for ethernet and phone".

He said it wasn't wireless, so I reluctantly approved.

Our internet is running much faster now, but unfortunately I am getting
terrible EMF-type symptoms from the new DSL phone jack, including
bad muscle pain.

When I turn off the computer and modem, the pain goes away
completely.

Any settings I can change in the computer, or any idea how to
fix this? Any theories on why the newer phone jacks could
cause this pain, if it isn't wireless?

We may have to track down an older phone jack, if there
are no other solutions.

Thanks.

Deltrus

Try typing each of these:

into your browser. If a settings page comes up for your modem, then maybe there will be wifi or something that can be disabled.

If it is just a modular connector that he installed then there's no way it would cause health problems like wifi may. They don't put off any type of signals or radiation. I'm pretty sure phone lines are not only well insulated, but they also don't contain much electrical power.

It is possible your symptoms are being caused by something else.

Last edited:

Living Dead

The plug is just wiring.

Did you also get a new modem or a new power supply / charger, og anything else new in connection to it? There may be a high frequency sound coming from it. Older people do not conciously hear the sound because their brains filter it, but it can still affect them, as long as the ears themselves aren't damaged.

Womble

Well whatever he did caused a faster and more powerful broadband connection then was previously installed.

They also installed another phone jack box somewhere just outside the house. I have no idea if this wired for something besides a land line, maybe that could be a problem as well.

Womble

Yes, that might be it.

The tech said I need to revert back to an old RJ-11 jack, but there are many kinds,
so not sure which one.

Womble

Well the regular jack still gave us high speed DSL.

If we put the wrong jacks on, it might worsen our broadband speed, but I'm trying to get the correct ones that worked well previously.

Does anyone know what RJ-11 type of jacks are compatible with an older DSL line?

frog_in_the_fog

Test Subject
Does anyone know what RJ-11 type of jacks are compatible with an older DSL line?
It is just a matter of finding a jack that fits your need, there is no special requirement for DSL. Just know that without filters you will hear DSL noise on the line, and your calls may interfere with DSL.

Womble

Well that must mean that there was a filter on here originally, because we never had a problem with that.

I'm rather confused about how to just revert back to whatever we had.

He replaced a wall plate, and I assume that wall plate has a type of connection or jack on the inside of it.

From what I can tell, its a DSL Cat5 line. that is coming through the wall, and it would seem from what I've read that this needs a RJ-45, not a RJ-11 connection.

I'm not a phone engineer, this is rather confusing for me, I just want to restore it to what it was.

Frog, are you a tech of some kind?

Last edited:

frog_in_the_fog

Test Subject
If you are using DSL to connect to the Internet the wall jack is a standard phone RJ11 type. The RJ45 ethernet jack is a lot bigger than an RJ11. Not likely you have RJ45 unless you have really modern wiring. RJ45 uses eight wires.

network-phone-wall-plate-modular-jack-for-computer-rj45-telephone-rj11-4387d34394532bc7ee1fa744e1c8f9c5.jpg

rj11-phone-wall-plate-beige-5.jpg

The back of a RJ11 wall plate should look something like this. It should have no more than four wires.
The ring voltage is high enough to give you a good zap, so be careful. The current is on the red and green wires, the yellow and black wires are not usually live.​

Womble

Thanks for taking the time to explain this.

Although he installed a modular for ethernet and phone, both jacks appear to be the same size and fit a normal telephone chord

So maybe it is still RJ-11, just a more modern version?

frog_in_the_fog

Test Subject
Thanks for taking the time to explain this.

Although he installed a modular for ethernet and phone, both jacks appear to be the same size and fit a normal telephone chord

So maybe it is still RJ-11, just a more modern version?

There is likely a DSL filter in that wall plate, unless there is an external one somewhere.
00V0V_kFBuryeyhIK_600x450.jpg

Is this similar to what you have?

00404_9CoOOZdB9DM_600x450.jpg

This the back, only two wires are connected on the blue terminal.

Modular-Wallplate-RJ11-2-port-White-BestLink.JPG

You can replace it with any standard dual RJ11 wall plate like this one. Both jacks can be wired to the same two wires. Just move the lower jack red and green spades to the upper jack respective red and green screws.

Womble

Well thank G-d that this problem got solved.

The man from the phone company agreed to come back and
restore the old phone jack.

He told me the jack that was bothering me was both a RJ-45
and a RJ-11 combination, or in other words, it was
compatible with both.

He unscrewed the panel and changed it back while I watched
him.

After he changed it, I no longer felt that strong signal, and my
pain is gone now.

Again, I am very blessed, and hopefully if others are having
problems with their DSL causing them pain, they might
try and revert back to older RJ-11 jacks.

Hope this helps, and thanks for your messages.

Womble

Womble

One more thing.

It appears that the DSL line is no longer causing me pain after he changed the
jacks, which is a miracle. I feel fine around the computer again.

Unfortunately, I still believe that the other phone jack they installed just outside the house
is causing me some pain symptoms. I do wonder why a phone jack would do that, I didn't
think those were wireless either, they are just for a landline phone line.

OkRadLakPok

I know this pain. I gave up. I lived ina room of a house where roommate was always telling me I was stupid and "bizarre". I had no control over it.

I just gave up and constant exposure helped somewhat. But not really. I mean it helped that I could tolerate it, but I just got sicker.

This is a battle that feels like it cannot be won. We are certianly killing ourselves