• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New here!

hi everyone!

I just got my 23 and me results back and have these snps:

MTHFR A1298c homo
VDR TAQ homo
COMT +-

I started on 1000mcg hydroxyb12
400mcg quatrefolate

Within an hour I felt extremely overstimulated. I had shortness of breath and was completely unable to sleep.

Why would this happen? Is my COMT handling what I'm missing from VDR and A1298c?

Note I don't have any me or Cfs and are pretty much completely healthy. But it is very easy to over stimulate me even with like a quarter or less cup of coffee.

Any input would be appreciated!

Thank you

Deltrus

B12 causes insomnia in most people. Try taking it in the morning when you wake up.

If you have a strong response to low levels of methylation supplements then that is probably good, it means that you have no extreme roadblocks in the methylation cycle like some people. Lower the dose until you hit a sweet spot.

Don't over analyze your DNA mutations unless they are significant. Keep in mind that 23andme is missing out on more than half of your DNA. They have told me that they can reanalyze your DNA from storage when they change to a better DNA analysis chip.

What type of problems are you trying to solve if you are perfectly healthy? I would recommend just a very basic lowish dose multivitamin to healthy people, if trying to improve yourself from a nutritional angle. Often mega doses in CFS are used to overcome intestinal malabsorption due to IBS, or overcome DNA mutations that hamper vitamin transport/utilization.

taniaaust1

I wouldnt be worrying about minor gene mutations at all if I was reasonably healthy. In that situation probably just a healthy lifestyle would be good.

MTHFR A1298c homo
This does reduce MTHFR functioning to 61% of the optimal level, but MTHFR mutations are so common that it's only slightly below average (69%). So if you're already interacting with vegetables on a somewhat regular basis, supplementation probably isn't going to be of any use.

VDR TAQ homo
COMT +-
These shouldn't be having any noticeable impact.

I started on 1000mcg hydroxyb12
400mcg quatrefolate
These are pretty low (normal) doses, and hydroxoB12 is the milder version, so it would odd for them to be problematic.

Within an hour I felt extremely overstimulated. I had shortness of breath and was completely unable to sleep.
I would never take B12 in the evening, or even past mid-afternoon. It is indeed a bit stimulating, in my experience.

Note I don't have any me or Cfs and are pretty much completely healthy. But it is very easy to over stimulate me even with like a quarter or less cup of coffee.
Then there's no reason to suspect you have any methylation problems, especially since your methylation SNPs sound pretty normal.

If you're looking for rare potential problems, I have a downloadable program at http://sourceforge.net/projects/analyzemygenes/ which pulls out rare results. The one_percent file is great for super rare mutations, but the ten_percent file can be useful for finding rarer homozygous mutations. And the remarks file is great for labeling the results with gene names, mutation names, and pathogenic/benign status when possible. The ten_percent and remarks files are at https://sourceforge.net/projects/analyzemygenes/files/Databases/ and just need to be unzipped into the same directory with the other files from the basic download.