• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Using DMSA + ALA with low white blood cell count

I am 30 years old and I have low white blood cell count (3.3, reference range 4.0-10.0) and low platelets (121, reference range 140-340). Results are similar for the last 10 years.

It is possible that I have too much heavy metals in my body and I am thinking to try DMSA + ALA.

The reasons why believe I have too much heavy metals:
-I was eating a lot of tuna in age 18-27 (2-4 cans of tuna per week)
-I tried NAC (2x 500mg in 1 day) to boost glutathione and I got headache. Normally I don't have headache, I don't remember any headache last year. Later I read that NAC get move mercury around.
-I have some heterozygous mutations of which 2 MTHFR:
-MTHFR C677T
-MTHFR A1298C
-COMT V158M
-COMT H62H
-VDR Bsm
-VDR Taq
-MTRR A66G
-MTRR A664A
and 1 homozygous mutation:
MAO-A R297R

Now my question is how safe is to try DMSA + ALA if I have low white blood cell count. I read some posts from other people that got their WBC (white blood cell) low after DMSA. I also found this study which says:

"After intervention, ALA supplementation showed a statistically significant (p < 0.05) association with the reduction of total leukocytes, increase in the number of neutrophils and reductions in the serum levels of iron and TSI."

Now I am really worried if I should start DMSA + ALA or not. My wbc is already low and I am worried that it will make any permanent reduction. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Mij

My Doctor's Data test results showed high mercury levels years ago and my WBC were down at 3.2. When I took DMSA and ALA it had no effect-my WBC stayed the same.

PeterPositive

My Doctor's Data test results showed high mercury levels years ago and my WBC were down at 3.2. When I took DMSA and ALA it had no effect-my WBC stayed the same.
Interesting. Did you see any benefits taking that combo?
Any side effects?

Thanks

Mij

@PeterPositive my hair starting falling out from DMSA binding to minerals, I had a lot of white spots on my fingernails I took a 'custom formula' during that time but I don't think it was enough to replenish it.

PeterPositive

@PeterPositive my hair starting falling out from DMSA binding to minerals, I had a lot of white spots on my fingernails I took a 'custom formula' during that time but I don't think it was enough to replenish it.
Ouch. So it kind of depleted your minerals... and you didn't have any overall benefits, I assume?

I am chelating on ALA only but id like to add dmsa or dmps. Dmps is too expensive and dmsa is apparently bad for the immune system. So what gives? Anything else i can do?