• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Aliquot and store at -20/-80

Living Dead

My doctor didn't know how to take the redlabs tests. The instructions says:
2 ml serum, centrifuged within 2 hours. Aliquot and store at –80°C
What does aliquot mean? If it is the separation of the serum from the rest, why does it say aliquot when it already says serum? Redundant instructions?

2 ml SERUM. Centrigure immediately after clotting. Keep at ambient temperature or 4°C for 24h. For longer periods, aliquot and store at –20° / –80°C
Does it mean you can choose between -20 and -80 or what?

Valentijn

My doctor didn't know how to take the redlabs tests.
Any reason that a lab isn't doing it? I don't think doctors typically learn much about drawing, storing, or shipping blood samples. A phlebotomist would probably know what to do.

Living Dead

When I got home I realized I could have been more pushy and requested that he showed the instructions directly to the ladies who are doing the actual work with drawing, processing and shipping blood.

*GG*

My doctor didn't know how to take the redlabs tests. The instructions says:

What does aliquot mean? If it is the separation of the serum from the rest, why does it say aliquot when it already says serum? Redundant instructions?

Does it mean you can choose between -20 and -80 or what?

Was thinking perhaps they forgot to put in Degree Fahrenheit. But that doesn't seem to be the issue. Oh, maybe it is fine as long as it is under -20, to -80 degrees Celsius. Labs probably don't necessarily have a Freezer at -20 or -80 degrees C. So something at -40 or -60 would be fine?

GG