• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Products that make your life easier?

Horizon

Any products that you love and feel are must haves? I'm on an amazon shopping binge and want more CFS / fibro friendly items.

So far my shower chair is a life saver!

I really like this trigger point long back stick thing too to massage trigger points.

Today I bought a craniocradle but so far it's hurting my back but I found it oddly relaxing.

I like my Spoonk acupressure mat for back pain and neuropathy.

My heating pad is probably my all time favorite friend.

Id love a cane or walker but I'm too ashamed to use that when i go out so id rather suffer.

What products have made your life easier?

belize44

I have to say that I cannot afford all the goodies that would make things much easier, but the ones that I do have help a lot. I have an adjustable cane for sudden onslaughts of pain that make walking difficult. Once when my husband had his back go out, we were fortunate to find a walker that was like new. I hate to look at that thing but it really comes in handy for weakness. I still haven't used it in public and hope I will never have to! I also have two electric heating pads, and electrical stim unit, and Ayurvedic massage oil which works like magic on painful areas. I want one of those long handled trigger point things, though!

*GG*

I really like this trigger point long back stick thing too to massage trigger points.

Today I bought a craniocradle but so far it's hurting my back but I found it oddly relaxing.

What products have made your life easier?

Here is a link to the Back Buddy I have, much better than other similar products. This one is rigid and does not easily bend!

https://smile.amazon.com/s/ref=smi_se_mit_rcol_smi_2537928482?_encoding=UTF8&page=1&pldnCmp=rcol&pldnCrt=my-impact&rh=i:aps,k:the back buddy

GG

Attachments

• Back Buddy.jpg
    Back Buddy.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 25
i'm also in the heating pad camp, but a cooling vest sounds really great right about now.

i got a portable/countertop dishwasher recently off of amazon (my apt doesn't have a built in dishwasher), and i wish i had gotten one ages ago.

i think i'm going to get one of the monthly pill organizers. i have too many days where i can't remember if i've taken all my supplements/rx for the day. anyone have better suggestions?
https://www.amazon.com/MedCenter-31...8&qid=1468127447&sr=8-1&keywords=MedCenter+31

i'm getting a blueair air purifier this week. hope that keeping down allergens will help with the chronic sore throat, etc.

ebethc

i'm getting a blueair air purifier this week. hope that keeping down allergens will help with the chronic sore throat, etc.

are you getting the smokestop filter? I want that one the next time I buy a blueair filter.... no smokers, but supposedly it clears some VOC's

i was set to buy the smokestop filter, but they actually talked me out of it (i called into blueair to buy the unit). i got the pro series, which apparently has the option of a carbon+ filter that attaches on to the regular particle filter. it's supposed to clear some VOCs, help with cooking odors - i guess it's a less heavy duty version of the smokestop filter. the woman i spoke with seemed to think the smokestop filter was overkill if you have a non-smoking household. if i had gotten a different series, probably would have gone with the smokestop filter. all the filters are so shockingly expensive :/ do you end up changing the filters every 6 months like they suggest?

KitCat

be yourself. everyone else is already taken.
I bought a rechargeable heating pad. You heat it up and it stays hot for two hours --- without needing a cord.

I love my rolling chair in the kitchen. It's a terrible product so I can't recommend it, nonetheless I love it.

https://www.amazon.com/ROLL-ABOUT-STOOLS-About-Stool/dp/B00018TNOU/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1468132236&sr=8-4&keywords=rolling kitchen stool

all the bad reviews are true though.

FOR ANYONE BED BOUND OR SPENDS A LOT OF TIME IN BED

I am super happy with these purchases:

I also bought a bedside rolling table which is AMAZING. love love love it. perfect for putting my laptop on to use in bed and helps carpal tunnel and back problems:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=i:aps,k:hospital rolling tray&keywords=hospital rolling tray&ie=UTF8&qid=1468132354&spIA=B01F9A3XOK,B01GKZDR12,B01577US8Y,B00I4ZTGIA

if you want one that looks more like furniture:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wooden-Beds...450500?hash=item43f08b0144:g:ezEAAOSwuAVWuQ2t

finally I am extremely happy with goldtouch split keyboard which I keep in my lap and type on while in bed.

it adjusts to any position and has been a HUGE improvement for me with carpal tunnel. I also use an autoclick software for the mouse that helps a lot.

we could have a whole chain just devoted to different heating pads :) which rechargeable heating pad do you have? does it recharge fairly quickly?

KitCat

we could have a whole chain just devoted to different heating pads :) which rechargeable heating pad do you have? does it recharge fairly quickly?

It is a new purchase. I will have to report back :)

Comet

I'm Not Imaginary
FOR ANYONE BED BOUND OR SPENDS A LOT OF TIME IN BED

I am super happy with these purchases:

I also bought a bedside rolling table which is AMAZING. love love love it. perfect for putting my laptop on to use in bed and helps carpal tunnel and back problems:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_1?rh=i:aps,k:hospital rolling tray&keywords=hospital rolling tray&ie=UTF8&qid=1468132354&spIA=B01F9A3XOK,B01GKZDR12,B01577US8Y,B00I4ZTGIA

if you want one that looks more like furniture:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wooden-Beds...450500?hash=item43f08b0144:g:ezEAAOSwuAVWuQ2t
Yes, this is a great set up. I can lay on my side with my head and shoulders propped up a bit and have the laptop on the rolling 'hospital table'. If I was comfortable sitting up, the table has adjustable height.

ahimsa

ahimsa_pdx on twitter
i think i'm going to get one of the monthly pill organizers. i have too many days where i can't remember if i've taken all my supplements/rx for the day. anyone have better suggestions
I know several folks who like the weekly or monthly organizers.

I prefer to carry around a smaller box (about 2.25 x 3.5 inches) that will fit easily in my purse. I don't go out every day but I am able to go out once or twice a week for errands. When I go out I need to have my pills with me.

This smaller box has compartments and holds a day's worth of pills for me plus some extra pills that I take as needed (e.g., pain pills). I have a system where I load up my pill box each morning with the required pills. If the pill is gone that means I've taken it.

Oh, I also need an alarm to beep for pills that are on a time schedule (used to have a Palm TX, now I use a reminder app on my Android phone). Between the pill box ritual and my pill alarms I only forget a pill about once per week or so. :rolleyes:

That rate of failure is actually not bad considering that I take midodrine 4 times daily = 28 times I have to remember to take a pill *just for that one prescription.* :jaw-drop: On top of the other pills that I take. There's no such thing as a 100% fool-proof system for me, I guess. :rolleyes:

I've uploaded a photo (click to embiggen) that I found online that looks sort of like my pill box (different color). There are oodles of different shapes and sizes of pill boxes out there with or without compartments. You don't even have to buy it online - most drug stores have a selection of boxes. I've had mine more than 15 years. I can't believe the plastic lid has not broken off by now.

Red-Pill-Box.jpg

Last edited:

rosie26

I wish I had bought a shopping trolley years and years ago. It's so good to get my handbag off my shoulder - I typically put too much stuff in my handbag and so it is always quite heavy. I probably have about 30 items in my handbag from radio batteries to wet hand wipes. I find the trolley very good for stability too and I lean on it while waiting to cross a road or waiting in line.

Last edited:

KitCat

I wish I had bought a shopping trolley years and years ago. It's so good to get my handbag off my shoulder - I typically put too much stuff in my handbag and so it is always quite heavy. I probably have about 30 items in my handbag from radio batteries to wet hand wipes. I find the trolley very good for stability too and I lean on it while waiting to cross a road or waiting in line.

good idea.

what does your shopping trolley look like? If you have a link, I would love to see a link to the one you bought.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
For me: My wheelchair - even though I am using it more and more, including in the house these days I couldn't go out at all without it. With it I have been able to have days out and even go on holiday.

My Homedics air purifier - keeps down dust in my room, which I am super allergic to and means I have one super clean safe room in the house. It also removes smoke, perfume smells etc so when we go away I always take it with me.

My vogmask - this is a new purchase, but it finally means I can do some light cleaning without the dust making me ill all day. It feels hot wearing it, but this way I can dust my room every week (that im well enough to do so or able to push myself) and keep the dust down (as you can gather dust avoidance is important to me!).

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
Being bedbound much of the day this mattress is very useful and comfortable: Lucid memory foam mattress. I had to let it offgass for a few days before I could use it.

My watch with five alarms is mandatory (it's an old Casio that isn't produced anymore.) I use it to remind me when to eat and drink. I need to do both frequently at scheduled times to keep hypoglycemia at bay.

This blood pressure monitor is one of the few tools I have that shows I have physical problems. It allows me to chart my low blood pressure, instead of expecting someone to take my word for it and rely on symptoms that could be explained away or ignored.

I use an I Can Breathe filter mask whenever I'm near someone who is wearing perfume, hairspray, sun-block, etc. By absorbing the odors that cause me to have MCS reactions, this mask helps to prevent nausea, poor balance, and sometimes a multi-hour headache.

Compression stockings allow me to stay upright a few minutes longer before OI symptoms start.

Foam ear plugs and noise blocking earmuffs make life far more bearable by reducing or eliminating the sounds that can induce poor balance, nausea, greater fatigue, brain-fog, bad mood, and multi-day headaches.

Sylvania Daylight incandescent light bulbs are one of the only kind that I can tolerate, so they make life easier and more pleasant. Fluorescent and LED induce brain fog, nausea, and headaches.

For someone with OI and fatigue, this Instant Pot pressure cooker has made life easier for a few reasons:
* I don't have to spend as much time upright waiting for water to boil and make sure it doesn't boil over. I just add everything to the IP, press a couple of buttons, and walk away. The IP beeps when cooking is done.
* I can set it to scald milk for making yogurt instead of using a pot and stove which used to take a lot of time being upright to watch the pot and prevent the milk boiling over. The same IP can then be used as a yogurt incubator.
* It can also slow cook and automatically switch over to keep warm mode so I can have a warm breakfast ready when I get up.

My laptop (IBM T40) is such a life-enhancing device that allows access to Phoenix Rising and other forums, research, access to online shopping, banking, etc. It's small and light enough to keep propped on my knees while lying in bed. It has a trackpoint that I can use instead of a mouse so I can keep my hands on the home row and just move my right index finger over a little to use the trackpoint for mouse pointer movement. If I had to rely on the trackpad I would probably have muscle fatigue and shoulder problems from moving my hand back and forth so much while in an awkward bedbound position.

Horizon

Great tips guys. My air purifier is holmes except the panel is full of dust so i think it does nothing!

I've been getting air purifying plants. Cleans the air and cheerful.