• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

In Memory of Jodi Bassett

sandgroper

Tania, you are correct in saying she will not be forgotten. I was part of the severe group. Until then I did not know anyone like me. We are hidden. Mostly i cannot even use the computer now. I had asked her to write about the adrenaline surges when one of the group died. Just before I heard the news I had someone print it out for me. It was a synchronistic moment. I feel very shocked and saddened. We lived about an hour away from each other but neither of us well enough to travel to visit.

taniaaust1

Tania, you are correct in saying she will not be forgotten. I was part of the severe group. Until then I did not know anyone like me. We are hidden. Mostly i cannot even use the computer now. I had asked her to write about the adrenaline surges when one of the group died. Just before I heard the news I had someone print it out for me. It was a synchronistic moment. I feel very shocked and saddened. We lived about an hour away from each other but neither of us well enough to travel to visit.

Im always glad to see you post, I wonder how you are at times. It was that severe group I first met Jodie (that was when I was even worst then I are today), long time ago now thou.

countrygirl said:
This is tragic and distressing news indeed, but it also makes me think of all the unknown invisible 'Jodis' out there who have died of or as a result of this devastating disease yet remain unknown to us and are 'unmorned' by the ME community.

and all those who have died from this without even having been diagnosed and knowing what they had. I know another who was in that situation in my old town who only ended up with a FM diagnoses though terribly ill even up to a week or two before his death he was thrown out of hospital and being told his illness was all in his head (he then had organ failure and died, he was in his early 50s).

The tally of deaths are starting to add up.

reply from the Facebook ME/CFS Memorial Page: "According to a posting by xxxx Jodi died from breast cancer that could not be treated in her severe condition. Jodi died from complications of her ME."
So are they saying that she did not have cancer and that she in fact died from ME complications? Sorry if this question is inappropriate.

otherworldly

very severe
she did die from breast cancer.....cancer being a complication of her ME. cancer is much more common in PWME, as r heart issues, hence they r considered complications

Ah I see, I didn't realise something like cancer was considered a complication of ME.
People with ME have increased incidence of at least some types of cancer. In Jodi's case, it sounds like having ME prevented her from being treated for an otherwise treatable cancer. Thus ME played a large part in killing her.

These rumours are not totally accurate. Jodi chose not to share details of her breast cancer treatment outside the family. I think it's best to respect Jodi's wish for privacy and not speculate further.

*Edited slightly

Last edited: