• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Castor oil packs helping a lot

chilove

Hey all I just wanted to share about castor oil packs because they have helped me so much in my recovery and are cheap and easy to do. I heard about them a long time ago but dismissed them as sounding too old fashioned and low tech but I'm so glad that I tried them! They are great for detoxing the liver and supporting immune function as well as reducing inflammation. They are VERY relaxing and help relieve pain. I once had very bad kidney pain from herxing too much after taking some aggressive Lyme formulas and the only thing that helped was castor oil packs on the kidney area. I was amazed at how quickly they helped. You can buy the castor oil at any health food store on Amazon and you can use an old cotton T shirt or buy cotton flannels clothes that are sold specifically for castor oil packs. You can re-use the castor oil soaked cloth many times so it's very inexpensive. I keep mine in a glass jar when I'm not using it. Here is a great link on how to do a castor oil pack:http://wellnessmama.com/35671/castor-oil-packs/

whodathunkit

@chilove: thanks for that link...the kit looks very interesting. I've wanted to use castor oil packs regularly since last year, but the biggest problem is that I can't seem to keep it from getting on stuff I don't want it to get on. Do you have that wrap-around pack that comes in the kit she recommends at your link? If so, how is it? Is it hard to keep clean?

chilove

@chilove: thanks for that link...the kit looks very interesting. I've wanted to use castor oil packs regularly since last year, but the biggest problem is that I can't seem to keep it from getting on stuff I don't want it to get on. Do you have that wrap-around pack that comes in the kit she recommends at your link? If so, how is it? Is it hard to keep clean?

No, I just use plastic wrap and an old towel. I put a thick layer of oil on my skin over the liver area, then apply the oil soaked cloth, then cover the cloth with plastic wrap, then cover that with a heating pad, then cover the heating pad with a towel. I put two old towels underneath me in case any drips out. You could also cut open a large trash bag and lay on that just in case.

Happy to hear this. I bought some castor oil today. I am going to drink it however as i tend to have some IBS-C