• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SIBO, Gut-Brain Access & Vagus Nerve

Old Bones

I've been listening to the free "Heal Your Gut" webinar this week at: naturalgutcures.com. Although many of the presentations have been interesting, none of them have provided a completely "new to me" approach until today.

I would recommend that anyone who has been unsuccessful using diet and/or medication to address SIBO listen to the presentation by Dr. Datis Kharrazian. He gives a good description of the mechanisms of SIBO, and why it is often essential to start by addressing the brain rather than the gut, especially for those experiencing poor memory and difficulty concentrating. The advice explains how gargling throughout the day will activate the vagus nerve, thereby improving gut motility. I'm so intrigued, I stopped listening partway through to post this, allowing as many interested PR participants to listen while the presentation is still available for free -- today only.

Apparently, Doctor Kharrazian has published a number of books; in particular: "Why Isn't My Brain Working?" Sounds like a question many of us would like answered. He also has a website: drknews.com.

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
He talks a lot about 'bloating and distension' - I don't have those symptoms, but everything else he says fits my experience right down to the hypothyroid symptoms.

The 'gargling to activate the vagus' is interesting and easy to do so will give that a try.

Thanks for sharing.

Old Bones

For those who missed the "Heal Your Gut" on-line summit last week, all 35 presentations are available for viewing/listening today (Monday, January 25) for "Encore Day". They can be accessed at: http://naturalgutcures.com .

Old Bones

Here are a few "nuggets" from the presentation "Healing the Gut with Herbal Remedies & Surprising Foods" by Sayer Ji. One of the worst culprits for damaging the gut lining, found in many processed foods, is sucralose (Splenda). Another is cupric sulphate, the form of copper used in many mass-market vitamin/mineral supplements. I looked at an old bottle of the Kirkland (Costco) Formula Forte Senior product, and it includes cupric sulphate, so the remaining tablets are going in the trash. A more-recently purchased (and much more expensive) natural Factors Women's 50+ product contains a safer form of copper -- copper gluconate. So, this seems to support the common belief that "you get what you pay for".

For those avoiding gluten (and perhaps other grains), oats are effective in healing the gut lining. Other gut-healing suggestions are: peppermint oil capsules, artichoke, turmeric, good quality fish oil, resveratrol, garlic, onions, manuka honey and green tea.

Old Bones

I see they've extended it another day - so many presentations - are there any videos you would recommend watching?

Hi @ScottTriGuy For me, the most valuable presentations are the ones where the content is different from the norm -- beyond the "avoid gluten/grains, take probiotics and fermented foods, reduce stress, etc.) Here are a few of my favourites in addition to Datis Kharrazian and Sayer Ji mentioned above:

Ann Louise Gittleman: I first became aware of this presenter when reading her book "Zapped" regarding the effect of electromagnetic pollution. She has very broad experience/knowledge. Her presentation contains more information regarding the vagus nerve. She also introduces the concept of hiatal hernia as a cause of many undiagnosed health issues.

Amy Myers: I already had her book "The Autoimmune Solution" at home from the library. Since I have a collection of autoimmune illnesses in addition to ME, I found her presentation very interesting. She considers CFS (her designation, not mine) as a condition closely associated with autoimmunity, so her advice is applicable to us.

Leo Galland: This doctor is well-respected in the field of functional medicine. His presentation was excellent, and I look forward to reading his upcoming book.

David Perlmutter: Perlmutter is probably most familiar to the "masses" as a result of his Grain Brain and Brain Maker books. However, if you are not familiar with his work, he is an engaging speaker with a lot of good advice.

Eric Zielinski: The first few minutes of this presentation didn't resonate with me. However, once he started talking about the use of essential oils, I was fascinated. An entirely new approach for me.

The presentation I was most disappointed in was the one by Janice Joneja (too much bragging about herself, and little practical advice -- didn't answer the questions, but merely said "buy my book"). Although Summer Bock was fine, there was little new information in her presentation.

I hope this helps. Otherwise, looking at the reviews at the bottom of each presenter's page can be helpful in choosing. Enjoy!

Thomas

This IBS is the bane of my existence even a decade before ME. Probably set the stage for my ME, and is the hardest thing to fix. I thought IBS was a common pre-ME condition for many people as well as a co-morbidity. But I just don't see it as prevalent with other patients as I thought or expected. No?

I notice when I have an ibs flare, all my cfs symptoms get worse. I took a coarse of Xiafaxamin a few months ago ( now indicated for ibs , so it is probably easy to get a script. I took 550mg 3 times a day for 2 weeks. I felt great and ally of my pem went away. , so did " brain fog" . followed up with vsl#3probiotic but still slipped back.

Tried Xiafaxamin a second time and did not help . Constant watery diarrhea , worsening cfs symptoms. My blood work revealed I am in a Hashimotos flare, my doctor suggested this is why my ibs right now is out of control. Sigh.
I wish I could get a hold of some Mutaflor. I am hoping dr Lipkin can get his bio" gut" study funded.

I think a lot of us have ibs, mine always diarrhea predominant.

At this point , I agree with you. I have had 2 colonoscopies and endoscopy and everything is normal. It seems I have the beg all the time for any further tests.

I did request the Pridgen Protochol Valtrex and Celebrex. Which resulted in my fibromyalgia pain going down by 90%. Still the " cfs" remains.

I believe I have leaky gut also taking glutamine., zinc etc. , since etc. tried to get off the nsaid's but then felt" flu -ish again.

I also have Hashimoto's and my tpo antibodies are high, as well as my tsh. Since I am in a flare my doctor suggested it he ibs may be due to the Hashimotos.
I am trying to take Betaine and digestive enzymes (I have read that in Hashimoto's digestive enzymes may not be digestive food properly , perhaps contributing to leaky gut and sibo) I try to take betaine / digestive enzymes with every meal as well as vsl3 and Align.

I have had these flare up's before and they have resolved. May bump up my Armour slightly. ( tsh is high / have some hypothyroid symptoms) I am now taking cholestyramne ( which I separate totally from thyroid- was a pharmacist for 23 years. ) which really helps the water diarrhea ( sorry tmi) and it might pull a few stray mycotoxins out of my system.

I will ask about the gastroperisis test. I have been working on this " gut issue for a year. If it does not resolve may go the way of a fecal ( do it yourself) transplant.

kangaSue

I will ask about the gastroperisis test. I have been working on this " gut issue for a year. If it does not resolve may go the way of a fecal ( do it yourself) transplant.
Fat and fibre are two of the biggest antagonists for most of us with gastroparesis, getting increased symptoms from upping your intake of either can be a helpful pointer.

For what it's worth, I've done a lot of research into fecal transplant (FMT) so if you have access to a healthy stool donor and have got your head around the prospect of doing fecal transplant, my inclination would be to not bother mucking around with the piecemeal probiotic approach and just go for FMT. You get a whole new microbiome instantly that way.

I
Fat and fibre are two of the biggest antagonists for most of us with gastroparesis, getting increased symptoms from upping your intake of either can be a helpful pointer.

For what it's worth, I've done a lot of research into fecal transplant (FMT) so if you have access to a healthy stool donor and have got your head around the prospect of doing fecal transplant, my inclination would be to not bother mucking around with the piecemeal probiotic approach and just go for FMT. You get a whole new microbiome instantly that way.

I got Mutafor! I am doing Mutafor , vsl3 Align and s. Boulder? Spelling? Ibs is a lot better not perfect but getting there. I have been looking at fecal transplant myself if the heavy dose probiotic experience does not work out!
I agree with you. I may do a diy transplant . One of my closest friends is healthy, may do this yet.
In the USA a doctor will only do if you have a confirmed case of c diff.
I can't understand with 30-40% remission rates for cfs and no treatment why is this not fda approved. Ugh!

Thomas

I

I got Mutafor! I am doing Mutafor , vsl3 Align and s. Boulder? Spelling? Ibs is a lot better not perfect but getting there. I have been looking at fecal transplant myself if the heavy dose probiotic experience does not work out!
I agree with you. I may do a diy transplant . One of my closest friends is healthy, may do this yet.
In the USA a doctor will only do if you have a confirmed case of c diff.
I can't understand with 30-40% remission rates for cfs and no treatment why is this not fda approved. Ugh!
Is your IBS purely dysbiosis related or is there an anxiety / brain-gut hypersensitivity component to it? That's my biggest IBS issue. My gut responds to stimulus the way my brain does -- by overreacting and going dysfunctional.

Just curious on how other folks define their IBS as sometimes just pure diet or dysbiosis IBS without the brain-gut axis dysfunction can be different and respond to different treatments.

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
Is your IBS purely dysbiosis related or is there an anxiety / brain-gut hypersensitivity component to it? That's my biggest IBS issue.

fwiw, I would periodically (maybe once a week) experience sudden onset of anxiety, then about 2 minutes later I would get the feeling of needing a bowel movement - the bm would resolve the anxiety. Since I cut way back on carbs and sugar and increased healthy fats about 5 months ago I have not had that experience. The amount of nausea I would experience before and / or after a bm has also decreased.

Where did you find Mutaflor? I'm in Canada and I can't find anyone who sells it in BC. I contacted someone through the Mutaflor website but they can't give me the names of any retailer selling it. Doesn't make any sense. Told me I would have to phone around to find someone. :bang-head: So far no luck.
I got my Mutaflor at the feelgoodhealth site. It says on site that it will only ship to Canada but they ship to United States . It is expensive probably have to pay a premium, and you have to pick it up at your local post office. It must be refrigerated. When I picked up mine it had 2cold packs which had melted. I did not pick up up right away because I felt awful. My product may have lost some of its potency but it is helping.
Since it is summer just letting you know .

I also found it on a site through Amazon but it was all in German. Germany will ship it to the Unites Starss , I think. My neighbor is from from Germany so I was going to ask her to get it for me if the Canadian Mutaflor did not work out. Or I would get her to translate .

So irritating that we have to go through this! Good luck .

Is your IBS purely dysbiosis related or is there an anxiety / brain-gut hypersensitivity component to it? That's my biggest IBS issue. My gut responds to stimulus the way my brain does -- by overreacting and going dysfunctional.

Just curious on how other folks define their IBS as sometimes just pure diet or dysbiosis IBS without the brain-gut axis dysfunction can be different and respond to different treatments.

I think mine is due to dysbiosis. I took rifaxamin 550mg for 2 weeks . constant diarrhea gone along with my foggy ( lactic acid ) brain. I followed up with vsl3 but slipped back. Repeated with rifaxamin again, no luck. Bombarded my gut with Mutaflor , align, vsl3 , and s boulardi. Taking in high doses ( at lower doses no result - at 3 times recommended I am improving. ) , Diarrhea that I have had for over 2 month greatly improving.

I live near Philadelphia pa. I would go to the New Jersey shore every weekend in the summer. If I drank the water it was like I went to Mexico. Montazuma's revenge! I was extremely relaxed down the shore and had a demanding job at home. This went on for 20 years getting much worse after fibro/ cfs. Finally dawned on me to bring bottled water . Bottled water, no diarrhea. Frankly I never paid too much attention to my health at all, if I had diarrhea told ibs by doctors and would pop a few lomotil and be done with it. DumbAss me! Doctors just said ibs and nerves.

I do think that our automatic nervous systems are affected by this illness and it could be both an autonomic Vagal s nerve problem and dysbiosis . I was on amitriptyline 10mg hs. This could help. Maybe will startup again.

I did have two colonoscopies ( I am 52) , totally normal both times. Took samples all clear! On paper I am in " great" shape!

When I was on opiates for pain ( originally diagnosed with fibromyalgia, pain gone after 1 year of valtrex and Celebrex! ) , never had " gut " issues, but probably just masked underlying problem. Went off opiates ,got diarrhea again - at first just though it was withdrawl but continued long after stopping opiates.

On another thread discuss how " lactic acid" would build up after exertion - this would cause severe emotional outbursts, which ended after taking sodium bicarbonate. There is evidence that our microbionorm( sorry can't spell it- unbalanced gut bacteria) is lacking in aerobic bacteria ( e- Coli) this could be producing excess lactic acid which would cause our emotional lability. When I was on rifaxamin did not have to detox with sodium bicarbonate ( I used Alka Seltzer Gold , which saves your potassium if you do straight sodium bicarbonate, will cause you to leak potassium)

My " episodes" we're so bad I would carry Alka Seltzer Gold everywhere. Like a diabetic with glucose. It was very embarrassing, only my husband and kids saw me at my worst. Never was like this prior to illness.