• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Newly Discovered Virus Lives in Half the World's Population - See more at: http://www.livescience.co

Deltrus

Wow that is really cool that gut bacteria can have viruses.

I wonder if these "bacterial" viruses can spread between any animal, because they aren't really dependent on the host's immune system.

There are so many ways our gut influences our health. Nutrient absorption, gut wall integrity keeping bad stuff in, immune system interactions, etc.

BurnA

Wow that is really cool that gut bacteria can have viruses.

Wileman spoke about this at iime conference and I found it fascinating.

Here is the Canarys write up about it :

Initial results from a study aiming to identify biomarkers by identifying variations in bacteriophage present in people with ME/CFS was presented. Bacteriophage are viruses that attack bacteria, and every bacteria has a specific phage that attacks it, or as Professor Tom Wileman from Norwich University described it:

Big fleas have little fleas upon their backs to bite them, and little fleas have lesser fleas, and so ad infinitum.

anciendaze

Please note that most viruses found on human mucous membranes are there to attack bacteria, yeasts and molds, not human cells. The fact that we don't even have a good census of these has bothered me for the last 5 years.

alicec

Here is the first study in which the entire phage population in the gut of an individual has been sequenced.

Phages are undoubtedly a very important part of controlling the composition of the gut flora and we are just starting to understand something about those in the gut.

Since each phage is specific for a particular bacterium, one can envisage that in future, phage therapy could be an important treatment for dysbiosis.