• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Article: Living with one of the last diseases we know nothing about

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
The Article is very good.
But. . . some of the comments are atrocious. I didn't read them all.
But it nets out as: despite the author describing ME as like a hangover and the flu that never leaves and discussing some of the symptoms many people started their comment (even the sympathetic ones) as chronic fatigue I've felt really really tired too, I'm so sorry for those who suffer chronic fatigue.

One pointed out O'Sullivan has solved the mystery behind chronic fatigue we just won't accept it.

Maybe it's just me I know they're referring to the illness but all I see is that they understand that we are tired which is really not on point.

Anyway here's the article:

http://www.thejournal.ie/readme/me-invisible-illness-2792636-Jun2016/

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I was about to leave a comment and had a choice of them logging me in through twitter or facebook (which I'm not on) so when I chose twitter it gave me a window that said logging in through twitter allowed them to: Read tweets from my timeline (OK no big deal) See who I follow and follow new people Update my profile (? maybe this isn't what I think but excuse me I'll update my own profile thanks) and Post tweets for me.

I decided not to post a comment. But clearly many people don't have the issues I do and I would encourage them to follow through on your request.

Bob

I was about to leave a comment and had a choice of them logging me in through twitter or facebook (which I'm not on) so when I chose twitter it gave me a window that said logging in through twitter allowed them to: Read tweets from my timeline (OK no big deal) See who I follow and follow new people Update my profile (? maybe this isn't what I think but excuse me I'll update my own profile thanks) and Post tweets for me.
It's a bit over-the-top that they require all those powers, but it seems to be a standard requirement.
They won't (hopefully) randomly hijack your Twitter account but the permissions allow them to e.g. "Share This Comment on Facebook or Twitter" when you post a comment.

BTW, it's possible to revoke all permissions and to revoke access to your account at any time (e.g. immediately after posting a comment), via your Twitter settings.
For future reference, to revoke permissions, use a PC browser (not the Twitter app), and go to 'settings' and 'apps'.
Or, simply click here: https://twitter.com/settings/applications

Last edited:

BurnA

It's a great article! I haven't read any comments yet :nervous:
They are actually not that bad - the journal.ie can attract the worst of the worst at times.
You can click the green thumbs up to promote any comment you like and the red thumb down if you dont like it. Then when people sort by popularity the comments with the most green thumbs go to the top.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
Thanks @Bob for that link and the tip. No energy at the moment but I'll keep the way to get around it in mind for future.

There's one troll, but in general it looks all good.

Yes the comments were mostly positive. My issue was with their coming away with the idea still embedded in their mind that we have something they call chronic fatigue. Even after a very good article that pointed out this is not what was being discussed--not chronic fatigue but the disease ME. My writing starting to get a bit loopy so I'm not perhaps very clear. When people see articles like this one --and there are now many others--I'd like them to be able to see beyond the chronic fatigue label I find so much gets lost and we're back to being the people who are tired a lot.