• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Amino acids - any point?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
In his talk at yesterday's Invest in ME conference, Ron Davis was reported as saying that glycolysis doesn't seem to be working properly in patients, from the data on the "Severely Ill, Big Data" study (as I understand it, rather than this just being Whitney).

Someone at the conference tweeted:

So I'm wondering - are amino acids worth trying?

I did a bit of googling and, as per usual, it all seems very complicated!

For instance:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/using-essential-aminos-for-oi.1106/

adreno

PR activist
I been thinking about this, too. It might be worth a try. We could have enzyme defects causing problems with breaking down proteins into aminos. This is a problem in EDS, for example.

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I been thinking about this, too. It might be worth a try. We could have enzyme defects causing problems with breaking down proteins into aminos. This is a problem in EDS, for example.

On the other thread, there was a suggestion that too much of a good thing with amino acids might lead to kidney problems. I'm wondering if testing is necessary to show whether you're deficient in certain ones and monitoring to make sure you don't damage yourself - but that would involve getting an actual doctor to do some actual testing, which I can't imagine on the NHS for something that doesn't have solid evidence behind it yet.

Bansaw

I got loads of them from BulkSupplements on Amazon, which is the best bang for buck imo.
But the only amino acid that I can say has made a noticeable difference for me is Aceytl-l-Carnitine.

Kati

Patient in training
The thing is.
1) Whitney is a very severely ill patient.
2) his test results may not reflect everyone's test results
3) broken Kreb and glycolysis pathways may not be the root cause, simply a downstream effect of the pathology. At this point we don't know. dr Davis may know, but it is not a given right now.
4) more research is needed.
5) there might be different subsets for the one disease we call ME
6) many people out here have taken hundreds of supplements and are still sick
7) amino acids for Whitney did not prevent him from getting very severly ill.
8) more research is definitely needed. Funding definitely needed.

pogoman

there are plenty of genetic and mitochondrial (or both) caused diseases that interfere with the different cell energy processes.
And for some of them, taking certain amino acids help and are considered as a mainstream treatment.

The question is, to be certain one has to take the right tests and maybe do a biopsy to confirm and that can be a long process.

I found I have to have a higher intake of muscle amino acids than can be supplied by diet.
I do buy from Bulk Supplements as mentioned also.

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Is there any evidence that aminos cause kidney damage?
It does in horses. Horses fed too much protein have blood in their urine.

To process the amino acid for energy, the amine group has to be removed. The remaining carbohydrate chain is then processed like any other carb. The amine group is removed as waste by the kidneys and liver. Too much will stress the kidneys. I don't remember all of the details now (haven't had horses in years). I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true for humans.

Last edited by a moderator:

wastwater

Has anyone tried proline supplementation and was it of benefit?
SIDENOTE :Ive had the blood in urine on and off for years.

Last edited:

Comet

I'm Not Imaginary
It does in horses. Horses fed too much protein have blood in their urine.

To process the amino acid for energy, the amine group has to be removed. The remaining carbohydrate chain is then processed like any other carb. The amine group is removed as waste by the kidneys and liver. Too much will stress the kidneys. I don't remember all of the details now (haven't had horses in years). I wouldn't be surprised if the same is true for humans.
I don't know much about this, but just wanted to add that horses are vegetarians and may not be suited for as much protein as humans and other meat eaters.

Last edited by a moderator: