• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Campagne: Immune Cell Gene Expression and Predictive Models in CFS (awarded grant)

mango

Fabien Campagne (Weill Medical Coll of Cornell Univ) has been awarded a grant for "Immune Cell Gene Expression and Predictive Models in CFS"

Other PI Information: Hanson, Maureen Rebecca
Abstract Text:
DESCRIPTION (provided by applicant): Chronic fatigue syndrome is presently diagnosed by a constellation of symptoms, which limit its identification until a minimum of 6 months after disease onset. Furthermore, the lack of an objective molecular or biochemical test that can be ordered by medical personnel unfamiliar with the illness often results in even further delay and misdiagnosis with other fatiguing illnesses. Treatment options are limited.

Development of new therapies is hindered by several obstacles: (1) the absence of simple objective monitoring tools to determine whether a therapy is efficacious (2) difficulty in distinguishing possible sub-groups of patients and (3) lack of information about the pathophysiology of the disease that could suggest development of novel medications.

These problems will be attacked through identification of gene expression differences between CFS patients and healthy controls using state-of-the-art deep sequencing methods and bioinformatic analysis.

Past studies implicate infectious agents, autoimmunity, or immune system disturbances that affect the activity of circulating leukocytes. Messenger RNAs and microRNAs from whole blood and B, T, and NK cells purified by flow cytometry will be characterized through Illumina sequencing of barcoded cDNA libraries.

The expression of a subset of candidate dysregulated mRNA-encoding genes will be assayed at the protein level. Markers will be confirmed in cohorts independent of those where they have been discovered.

Multivariate biomarker models will be developed and validated in order to predict diagnosis as well as disease severity. Integrative analyses of immune cell gene expression will be carried out to help further our understanding of CFS pathogenesis.

Administering Institutes or Centers: NATIONAL INSTITUTE OF ALLERGY AND INFECTIOUS DISEASES

Total Funding: $522,142

Project Start Date: 15-MAY-2013
Project End Date: 30-APR-2018

Budget Start Date: 1-MAY-2016
Budget End Date: 30-APR-2017

https://projectreporter.nih.gov/project_info_description.cfm?aid=9042926&icde=0

Last edited:

BurnA

I am not familiar with the terminology, would anybody know what project start date means ? I am curious about the three year lapse between this and budget start date.

mango

I am not familiar with the terminology, would anybody know what project start date means ? I am curious about the three year lapse between this and budget start date.
If you check the link, under "History", it looks like this project has been awarded grants for 2013, 2014 and 2015 as well. So this is probably an extension, or something like that?

(I searched, but couldn't find any previous threads about this study here on the forum.)

BurnA

If you check the link, under "History", it looks like this project has been awarded grants for 2013, 2014 and 2015 as well. So this is probably an extension, or something like that?

(I searched, but couldn't find any previous threads about this study here on the forum.)
Thanks, that would make sense as I thought the figure seemed a bit low for 5 year study.

Although very strange for it not to have been discussed here before :eek: