• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ProHealth article on Jarred Younger: "Low Dose Naltrexone - An Effective Treatment for ME/CFS?"

Sasha

Fine, thank you
Donna Gregory Burch said:
Unlike fibromyalgia, there are no FDA-approved treatments for ME/CFS, leaving few options for relieving symptoms.

But in recent years, a growing number of patients have started using a little-known drug called low-dose naltrexone (LDN) as an off-label treatment, and now an Alabama-based researcher is planning the first trial to find out if LDN actually reduces the symptoms of ME/CFS...

Read the rest at:

http://www.prohealth.com/ME-CFS/lib...=EM060116C&utm_medium=em&utm_campaign=MECFS&e

Personally not excited about this, since I've already tried this and it did zilch for me, but, who knows...

Hutan

Great that there is going to be a trial.

LDN didn't make it into the list of pharmaceutical treatments trialled for MECFS in that recent NCNED review. So presumably that means there haven't been any credible studies reported to date.

Last edited:

JES

LDN is rated number one pharmacological treatment for CFS in this survey from few years ago, so it's not surprising that it is being trialed, also considering how cheap and safe it is.

It certainly seems to help me, but I now take three 4.5mg capsules daily, so it's not such a low dose... No idea why this works for me but it does, and lower doses don't!

May I ask how long it took to help you? I took 4 mg a day for a month or two last fall before my doctor took me off it. I always thought I should've stuck with it a little longer. Another doctor just prescribed 4.5 mg a day which I'll try as soon as it's ready at the compounding pharmacy.

daisybell

May I ask how long it took to help you? I took 4 mg a day for a month or two last fall before my doctor took me off it. I always thought I should've stuck with it a little longer. Another doctor just prescribed 4.5 mg a day which I'll try as soon as it's ready at the compounding pharmacy.
I noticed benefits within a few days, although I also had side-effects initially. The benefits wore off, but came back when I upped the dose. I increased it again about six weeks ago, and feel that I have more energy, and am crashing less.

panckage

Its interesting how all these treatments that have moderate benefit seem to work for 66% of PWME. It seems to be our magic number :p