• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How do I go about outpatient testing?

So I'm trying to take this whole thing a bit more seriously and I want to get a few tests done, namely a Lactose Tolerance Test to test for SIBO and a hopefully Arginine/GHRH tolerance test to test for Growth Hormone Deficiency.

I checked with insurance and "They do not require prior authorization if performed as outpatient at an in network facility by in network physician". I do not know how to go about this.

I also checked the CPT codes for Quest Diagnostics. Does this same test transfer between different companies who might do it? Or can I go in to Quest and get these kind of outpatient tests there? I've only ever gone there for blood draws.

My GP is about 2 hours away and will probably write me an order for anything I want, but how do I go about this? Do I call my office and have her send that request to a hospital in my area? I'm familiar with getting a lab order and going to Quest Diagnostics for blood work but I've never had to deal with this kind of thing. It also has to be in network stuff. Will my Dr's office be able to determine who is in network?

Sorry if this is common knowledge stuff, I'm not sure where to get this information from.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
My GP is about 2 hours away and will probably write me an order for anything I want, but how do I go about this? Do I call my office and have her send that request to a hospital in my area?
She can fax or email the test order to Quest or whatever lab you choose. She should know the codes.
Or can I go in to Quest and get these kind of outpatient tests there?
If Quest has the tests you want and your doctor sends them the lab requisition.
Will my Dr's office be able to determine who is in network?
If you know whether Quest, Labcorp, TriCorp or some other close lab is in network, you can tell your doctor where to send the requisition.

*GG*

Are you asking for what test codes to be tested for? sorry, tired here and seeing if I can be helpful. Had a bunch of bloodwork done at Quest recenlty, but think I only wrote down ICD codes from blood draw paperwork, not actual test?

GG

If Quest has the tests you want and your doctor sends them the lab requisition.
Thx for the replies!

So Quest can really handle things like that? It requires you to sit somewhere for over an hour I believe and have insulin injected and then have blood draws taken every so many minutes and have a rescue glucose shot ready in case you don't come back up. The facilities don't seem to be equipped quite like that, I was thinking this was a hospital only thing.

Are you asking for what test codes to be tested for? sorry, tired here and seeing if I can be helpful. Had a bunch of bloodwork done at Quest recenlty, but think I only wrote down ICD codes from blood draw paperwork, not actual test?

GG
Oh no, I'm just wondering how to have more complex procedures done, kind of above and beyond blood draws where you have to be monitored for a couple hours and have blood drawn at several intervals.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
So Quest can really handle things like that? It requires you to sit somewhere for over an hour I believe and have insulin injected and then have blood draws taken every so many minutes and have a rescue glucose shot ready in case you don't come back up. The facilities don't seem to be equipped quite like that, I was thinking this was a hospital only thing.
I am not familiar with those particular tests but I have had a 3 hour glucose tolerance test at LabCorp. They drew blood 4 times and I think I was there for about 4 hours. You can look at the Quest test menu to see if they do those tests.

If they don't then call your insurance and ask what hospital labs near you are in network.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Lactose tolerance testing can be done at most labs.

Anything requiring an injection (i.e. insulin) would have to be done in a clinic (not necessarily a hospital) and administered by an RN. You would not be in a lab setting to do this, it would be more like an ambulatory care center. They would take responsibility for transporting blood samples to the lab.

Orders for any of the tests you mentioned would have to come from a care provider (MD).