• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Has anyone tried a garlic free diet?

Kimsie

Has anyone tried garlic free (0 garlic) for at least 3 weeks? This means checking processed food labels because garlic is in a lot of processed foods. (edit: Actually after a bit of checking, this means NO processed foods because they don't have to list garlic on the label and it can be in "natural flavorings". Even tomato sauce can have garlic in it but probably whole tomatoes or diced is OK. ) A tiny bit of garlic doesn't count. Thanks.

Last edited:

msf

Yes, I have been following the FODMAP diet for over a year, with very good results. Garlic and onion are the top two foods to avoid, along with things like leeks, etc. When I did eat some garlic again (by mistake) a lot of my gut symptoms came back, and I have found that the gut symptoms drive the other symptoms (such as poor sleep).

Effi

@Kimsie I am very sensitive to garlic (in all forms) and raw onion/leek etc. I haven't eaten garlic in years, because it makes me extremely sick and dizzy. And you're right, garlic is everywhere.

Is there a specific reason why you want to avoid garlic?

Gondwanaland

DH and I are on a garlic free diet for over 2 years. Garlic causes him low copper and massive IBSD. As for me, I thought I could handle it, but about 6 months ago I tried it and it caused me horrible hormonal symptoms (manganese?) - sweating and insomnia - and possibly oxalate issues (sulfur, aspartate).

Richard7

ouch, you have ME/CFS and you cannot eat garlic.

But yeah I know Hare Krishna devotees abstain from it so I don't imagine that going without would be harmful.

Though it is an antimicrobial and antioxidant and I was just reading this https://www.researchgate.net/publication/284137140_Antioxidants_and_vascular_health the section that is relevant is 4.1, and thinking that I do not know what all of this stuff means but it certainly sounds good.

ryan31337

Yes, I have been following the FODMAP diet for over a year, with very good results. Garlic and onion are the top two foods to avoid, along with things like leeks, etc. When I did eat some garlic again (by mistake) a lot of my gut symptoms came back, and I have found that the gut symptoms drive the other symptoms (such as poor sleep).

Exactly the same response to garlic and onion here. Have been on a zero FODMAP diet with great results for the past 6 months. In previous years with better overall health I only had to avoid gluten/dairy elements, but with an overall worsening in health the garlic/onion and other FODMAPs slowly became an issue again.