• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

CFS at British Association For Behavioural And Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP) conference 2016

Dolphin

BRITISH ASSOCIATION FOR BEHAVIOURAL AND COGNITIVE PSYCHOTHERAPIES
Belfast
The Waterfront Conference Centre
15th-17th June 2016
44th Annual Conference

KEYNOTE SPEAKERS

http://www.babcpconference.com/programme/keynotes_2016.htm

Trudie Chalder, King’s College London

Chronic fatigue syndrome: the trials and tribulations of outcome studies

Fatigue is best viewed on a continuum with fatigue as a symptom at one end of the spectrum and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) associated with profound disability at the other. Up to 75% of people with CFS also have a mood disorder. Over about 25 years worth of research trial findings show that both cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) and graded exercise therapy (GET) are moderately effective treatments for CFS that are not associated with harm. In primary care briefer interventions for fatigue have been shown to be efficacious. Self -help books are available. The aim of this lecture is to describe the overlap between fatigue and emotion, the evidence for CBT and GET, the nature of the interventions and how they work according to recent meditational analyses and long term follow ups.

Dolphin

Belfast 2016
Scientific Committee

[..]

Trudie Chalder, London

Symposium 6 – Behavioural Medicine and Child and Adolescent – Meeting Room 2B

Understanding and treating co-morbid fatigue, somatic symptoms, sleep and distress

in young people

09.50 The overlap between chronic fatigue syndrome and mood disorders

Keynote Addresses 11.30-12.30

Chair: Maria Loades, University of Bath

Hall 1D

Symposium 13 – Behavioural Medicine – Meeting Room 2A

Adults with Medically Unexplained Symptoms

Chair: Trudie Chalder, King’s College London

13.30 Teaching GPs cognitive and behavioural skills: General knowledge and confidence

Meenal Patel and Trudie Chalder, Kings College London

14.00 A Transdiagnostic approach to persistent physical symptoms: The description of a trial

protocol and intervention

David McCormack, South London and Maudsley NHS Trust

14.30 Health anxiety in CFS/ME: mutual maintenance?

Jo Daniels, University of Bath

15.00 The long term follow-up of the PACE trial: CBT and GET in CFS/ME patients

Other CFS:

Symposium 6 – Behavioural Medicine and Child and Adolescent – Meeting Room 2B

Understanding and treating co-morbid fatigue, somatic symptoms, sleep and distress

in young people

09.25 Mood in paediatric CFS/ME - what we know and what have yet to establish

Maria Loades, University of Bath

10.15 Psychological Factors in Chronic Fatigue Syndrome & Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Similarities & Differences

Hazel Carrick and Maria Loades, University of Bath

Seven7

Seven
OH MY what an opportunity to ask for biomedical research and make them jump over shoes (the millions missing protest)! one can dream of the opportunities.,

Esther12

duncan

I will defer to @JaimeS for this, but while one can talk about "over 25 years of research", or "about 25 years of research", I'm unclear as to whether anyone can have "over about 25 years of research..."

I'm thinking we can offer to subcontract our editing services to this psych association.

If we land that gig, I think we should throw in for free the press release announcing Phoenix Rising's role.

JaimeS

So it's a typo then, I'm aware of mediation.

Good lord. Someone thinks that meditation is the same thing as mediation (not YOU, @Snowdrop!)

while one can talk about "over 25 years of research", or "about 25 years of research", I'm unclear as to whether anyone can have "over about 25 years of research..."

They've leapt OVER about 25 years of research to be where they are today!

But seriously, folks, I'll be here all week.

BUT SERIOUSLY, FOLKS, there is also a subject-verb agreement problem in that same sentence.

...need a good editor, but writing does require logical thinking skills. And I'll only offer my services if I get free rein regarding... 'tone'.

-J

user9876

The aim of this lecture is to describe the overlap between fatigue and emotion, the evidence for CBT and GET, the nature of the interventions and how they work according to recent meditational analyses and long term follow ups.

If the intent is to use the long term follow up to say how the treatments work then the honest interpretation would be to say they don't work in the long term.

Chrisb

It seems to, very cleverly imply, that all that CFS is fatigue and, in 75% of cases a mood disorder. Perhaps this should be taken as conclusive evidence that the CFS they refer to is something other than ME.

sarah darwins

My word processing programme's Autocorrect feature has an option, after Spelling and Grammar, marked 'Tell the Truth?' I ran that Chalder intro through it and it came out as:

For no particular reason I like to view fatigue on a continuum with fatigue as a symptom at one end of the spectrum and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) associated with profound disability at the other. Up to 75% of people with CFS also have a mood disorder, although the actual number could be 1%, which I think you'll agree comes under 'up to 75%'. Over about 25 years worth of questionnaires, subjective judgments and magical thinking make it distinctly advantageous to me and a handful of my friends to say that both cognitive behaviour therapy (CBT) and graded exercise therapy (GET) are moderately effective treatments for CFS that are not associated with harm, even though there is abundant evidence that the combination can be extremely harmful — personally I'm fine with ignoring that evidence so I'm guessing you are too. In primary care briefer interventions for fatigue have been shown to be efficacious — well, when I say efficacious I mean marginally helpful for some people as long as you don't look too closely at the results and keep the data well away from independent researchers. Self-help books are available — they help pay the mortgage so you can't say fairer than that. The aim of this lecture is to speculate about an overlap between fatigue and emotion — I was thinking about making it between fatigue and what's on TV, or fatigue and the weather in Ulan Bator, but I've found that if you do emotion you've got way more chance of getting it in the Guardian — and the vanishingly small amount of evidence for CBT and GET we managed to cobble together even after some flagrant outcome-switching etc etc, the nature of the interventions and how we're claiming they work according to recent meditational analyses and long term follow ups based on the same junk studies we did years ago. Edit: apparently I meant 'mediational' but really who gives a shit?

Simon

Trudie Chalder said:
Fatigue is best viewed on a continuum with fatigue as a symptom at one end of the spectrum and chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS) associated with profound disability at the other...

The aim of this lecture is to describe the overlap between fatigue and emotion, the evidence for CBT and GET, the nature of the interventions and how they work according to recent meditational analyses and long term follow ups.
I would love to hear that lecture. I especially want to hear how they work according to long-term follow-up, given that CBT/GET groups did no better than 'control' groups.

Not to mention the mediation analysis. The authors claimed a causal relationship between changs in attitudes etc and fatigue/function; they said the claim was strenghened because the changes in attitudes happened before the change in outcomes, but this isn't true - they were able to claim that in their paper because they left out the data showing that actually (self-reported) outcomes changed at the same time at attitudes. Perhaps attitudes were changing simply because fatigue/function was improving and there was no causal relationship:
Omission of data weakens the case for causal mediation in the PACE Trial - The Lancet Psychiatry

Yogi

Since Tuller's investigation came out Trudy Chalder and Peter White keep using this phrase 'Trials and Tribulations' in their presentations.

What does it mean? - It means:
  • unhappiness, pain, or suffering: an experience that causes someone to suffer
  • troubles and events that cause suffering
  • tests of one's patience and endurance
Hey Trudy Chalder now perceives that she is unhappy and in pain and suffering from the PACE trial. I thinks she is trying to get sympathy vote from her peers now that the 'science' for the PACE trial has been proven to be a fraud. Well then lets send this for Trudy to the Belfast conference for the conference dinner.

upload_2016-5-24_12-24-23.jpeg

Well at least Trudy Chalder can share some of the suffering that we have to endure from her and her ilk for forcing CBT on us and denying proper treatments.

I think poor little Trudy just has 'False Illness Beliefs' that she is suffering from and well she can try a little CBT on herself to cure herself.

If this is genuine given her unhappiness and suffering then why is she is enduring with it all and continuously speaking at conferences pushing a flawed and dangerous treatment when the PACE trial has been shown to be a fraud??

Oh forgot... about her lucrative insurance consultancy work that she does and the ££££££ and $$$$$$$ must help with all the trials and tribulations!!

Ben H

OMF Volunteer Correspondent
What in heavens name it 'meditational analysis'? (last line of quote in post #1)

So it's a typo then, I'm aware of mediation.

Thing is, 'meditational analysis' could very well be one of these bizarre made up terms that the psych journals seem to be littered with. They have a habit of using words which no one, even themselves, have a clue what they mean. Science without the science. It would be funny if the consequences wern't so tragic.

Last edited:

Keith Geraghty

....its a statistical method to show the influence of one variable on another - ie x might cause y - but there may be a z variable on the causal pathway: if you enhance z and show and effect on y you partly show some influence --- Prof Chadler uses this method to try validate the CBT model of CFS - which is basically that beliefs impact behaviours -

Its some of the most outlandish science in terms of what variables you want to stick into your model to show some realtionship - but one thing you cant get over is that this method does not demonstrate causality - there may be more variables or confounders the p, q, r, s, t, variables you havent looked at --- so it doesnt prove anything.

this is an extract form a paper Ive recently submitted

"Researchers have sought to validate the CBT model for CFS using mediation analysis, a statistical method to test how a mediating variable transmits the effect of an independent variable onto a dependent variable: Stahl et al. (2014) sought to validate CBT’s efficacy by testing the role of “fearful cognitions” as a mediator between avoidance behaviour and illness outcomes (e.g. fatigue) in CFS. However mediation analysis is a correlation test, which does not prove causality (MacKinnon et al., 2007) and Stahl et al. concede that the positive effects that they observed from CBT in CFS could have been brought about by other factors and other possible treatments, not just CBT, and that the exact impact of CBT on cognitive processes remains unclear."