• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is folate necessary?

Taking 400mg methy-folate makes me anxious and puts me on edge.

Homozygous for MTHFR C677T

Taking:

Adeno and Hydrox B12 (no effect from methyl-b12)
B-minus from Seeking Health (a mulit B vitamin)
Magnesium ~400 mg/day

I tried:
TMG - made me tired and indifferent
Phosphatidyl choline - tired

Is it bad to supplement B12 and a mulit-B without the inclusion of a folate supplement? Will it throw things off balance?

Thanks

PeterPositive

What brand of folate are you using?
I ask because I do well on Metafolin while I get anxiety from almost all other alternative forms (e.g. Quatrefolic etc...) at the same dosage.

Also, if you just started out you may need to pace yourself and not start at 400mcg but maybe at 1/4th or 1/8th of that and see if you can build your tolerance over time.

PeterPositive

There are three forms: Metafolin which is a trademark of Merck, Quatrefolic and Extrafolate by Gnosis.
The only supplement brand that uses Metafolin is Solgar, as far as I know.

While they should all work pretty much the same, people here have reported different effects (and side effects) using difffernt forms. I find the two alternatives stronger but in a strange way and I always end up with too much anxiety. Metafolin never does that. Don't ask me why :)

Critterina

Being C677 homozygous (as I am) methyl-folate would probably be best, as it doesn't need any conversion steps.
And the conversion step to convert folinic is exactly the one affected by MTHFR C677T. So I'd not waste my time on that. (I am C677T -/- and A1298C +/- - not a very bad set at all, but I could not stay awake to save my life after taking folinic. No telling why - probably something else.)