• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What’s Growing on the Space Station’s Walls?

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
That actually doesn't bear thinking about :nervous:

But given how we're all now told how important our personal microbiome is to health and the 'hygiene hypothesis' would suggest that a diverse microbiome is better, I wonder if the relative isolation has any adverse effects on the astronauts' microbiome/immune system.

antares4141

I hate to even speculate. But if I were I would say that anytime you eliminate certain types of pathogens and concentrate other types. Or create an unnatural or extraordinary situation we are not acclimated or accustomed to.

Weather internal inside our bodies or externally in our environment. There is the potential for a wide range of problems to develop. And I think that is nasa's concern.

Of course there are exceptions like where liability is involved than any amount of imbalance is safe. (sarcasm)

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
Not really. Cleaning is just far enough down the 'necessary for survival' list that I don't get to it as often as I should. I can't seem to get all of the dishes washed up and the counters and stove top clean at the same time. :ill:

Forbin

In the 1964 Outer Limits episode "Specimen: Unknown," a "barnacle" is found growing on the hull of a space station in orbit above the Earth. The barnacle later blooms into a "flower" which kills a young Dabney Coleman. This explains why to this day Dabney Coleman refuses to visit the International Space Station. :)

Untitled-1.jpg

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
How fortunate that this extraterrestrial species would grow on AGAR. :D Well, not for the Dabney Coleman character.