• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

methyl guard causing muscle pain

Hi guys,

Well, I think I've practically come full circle from about 6 years ago.

Doc suggested I try methyl guard as we were targeting these symptoms (brain fog, chemical sensitivities, fatigue)

Alertness and fatigue lifted somewhat, but in it's place I got muscle pain (some spasticity too). Also made my anxiety and tinnitus worse.

From combing the threads it seems it could be potassium, or maybe gaba? I'm already taking magnesium.
What do you guys think? But for sure, the methyl guard made my muscles very unhappy. ; o (

I'm diagnosed with sibo and candida, being treated for those. Symptoms of brain fog, anxiety, chemical sensitivity, skin crawling, tinnitus did not resolve with treatment, so we went down the methylation rabbit hole...

appreciate any thoughts, if I can figure this piece out, I might be able to unlock the whole puzzle...

junkcrap50

Cotedor, I had the same problem when I started Freddd's methylation protocol. I got severe muscle aches and pain when taking mb12, ab12, methyl folate, and carnitine. I've been meaning to write up what worked for me, but have been busy. It sounds like you are having a lot of oxidative stress.

What are the doses you are taking? Just the standard 1 dose (3 pills) of methylguard? Are you taking more a B-complex?

In my situation, I was taking much higher doses of b12 and folate. My doctor told me that my methylation was leading to too much secondary oxidative stress and inflammation from trying to detox/get rid of too many stored of toxins, too quickly. She also said that my mitochondria needed support and was not able to keep up with the methylation. As a result, Vitamin B1 helped a bunch with my muscle aches and inflammation by supporting one inflammation pathway.. There are two other inflammation pathways that rely on B2 and B3, so taking Riboflavin (B2) and Niacinamide (B3) could help support those pathways, but I didn't need them right now. B1 was enough for me. NAC and a balanced anti-inflammatory supplement (Cytoquel in my case) was also recommended for me to help with the oxidative stress.

To support my mitochondrial, I was to add Phosphytidalserine and a balanced mitochondrial support supplement (ATP Fuel), which contained things like PPQ, CoQ10, Alpha Lipoic Acid, etc. I think, based on what my doctor said, getting the mitochondrial support was going to help decrease the inflammation, based on how the methylation cycle and the ATP cycle overlapped. The muscle pain may also have been due to not enough ATP in my muscles.

I think that you are going to find that it will be easier if you research methylation and start from the beginning of the methylation protocol by adding things 1 by 1, so you have a better idea of what's going on and what's causing what.

hey there, thanks for the info! I took very little, cause I've learned over the years how sensitive I am. Apparently, I still don't have a grasp on how sensitive I am. ; o ) I took one capsule, diluted down in 8 oz of water. I think the first day I drank 1 oz, then the second day I got greedy and probably took 2-3 oz since I wasn't getting super bad symptoms

But I noticed something was really affecting my head and not in a good way. I think part of it was the p5p. Cause I tried p5p once before (I was reading that folks were saying it was good for histamine/allergy issues). Well, it affected my sleep. This whole 'dream recall' thing and I didn't feel like I slept all night.

So yeah the methyl guard was kind of starting to give me this pressure/headache feeling. And knock on wood, I really don't get headaches, that is like the one symptom I don't have ; o ). Then by about the 4th day I'm feeling like basically I don't know what I'm doing, so I'm thinking scrap this, let's just try b12 on it's own. I probably took about 400 mcg methyl b12. So yeah that's how I got here.

Yeah I definitely have inflammation. In what I call my 'acute period' years ago when I was completely non functional Even the conventional docs found from the labs that I had inflammation. It was hard to get them to state that, but the labs showed. (hypercalcemia, elevated csf protein, positive emg's) They're like you have non specific inflammation, we don't know why, great.

It seems my gut gets really inflamed. For example, I'm working with my nd and I'm trying to move into our phase 2 for candida/sibo. Trying to introduce neem oil, take it, next morning I have tmj. (at least that's what I call it, my jaw is gnashing/cracking in the morning when I move it.). I will get that if I eat really bad food like with soy/msg/fried etc, basically if I put something in my body that it really doesn't like.

I told myself I wasn't going to guess, cause I wasted a lot of time/money doing that already. I've run a lot of tests, so I didn't think I was. Genova UA came back that I had moderate need for b1, b3, b6, and b12. But it doesn't seem like I can handle b vitamins. I have no problem with minerals. I take mineral complex, magnesium, no issues there.

I've been combing through this stuff, heartfixer etc. I've read a lot of medical literature over the years, but I find this topic very confusing and difficult to follow. I guess I should try supplementing with everything, but b vitamins. ; o )

I did buy a bottle of ubiquinol today, I'm staring at it thinking, ok am I going to negatively react to this.

I think I'm going to do the metametrix cardio ion profile, the dd methylation test, and the dd toxic metals and essential elements. What do you guys think, good? waste of time/money? I feel like there's a piece missing and I'm getting thrown off by it. I'll go back through the protocols and start from the beginning, that is if I can find the beginning. It seemed like from yasko's approaches, I should be taking yucca and sparga. But sulphur and ammonia were part of these tests, and they're not high, this is an example which starts to throw me off as to what to address.

Sorry for the long post. Appreciate the help.

Cotedor, I had the same problem when I started Freddd's methylation protocol. I got severe muscle aches and pain when taking mb12, ab12, methyl folate, and carnitine. I've been meaning to write up what worked for me, but have been busy. It sounds like you are having a lot of oxidative stress.

What are the doses you are taking? Just the standard 1 dose (3 pills) of methylguard? Are you taking more a B-complex?

In my situation, I was taking much higher doses of b12 and folate. My doctor told me that my methylation was leading to too much secondary oxidative stress and inflammation from trying to detox/get rid of too many stored of toxins, too quickly. She also said that my mitochondria needed support and was not able to keep up with the methylation. As a result, Vitamin B1 helped a bunch with my muscle aches and inflammation by supporting one inflammation pathway.. There are two other inflammation pathways that rely on B2 and B3, so taking Riboflavin (B2) and Niacinamide (B3) could help support those pathways, but I didn't need them right now. B1 was enough for me. NAC and a balanced anti-inflammatory supplement (Cytoquel in my case) was also recommended for me to help with the oxidative stress.

To support my mitochondrial, I was to add Phosphytidalserine and a balanced mitochondrial support supplement (ATP Fuel), which contained things like PPQ, CoQ10, Alpha Lipoic Acid, etc. I think, based on what my doctor said, getting the mitochondrial support was going to help decrease the inflammation, based on how the methylation cycle and the ATP cycle overlapped. The muscle pain may also have been due to not enough ATP in my muscles.

I think that you are going to find that it will be easier if you research methylation and start from the beginning of the methylation protocol by adding things 1 by 1, so you have a better idea of what's going on and what's causing what.

Hey, just wanted to post an update to this. You were right on the money about oxidative stress. I ended up checking sed rate and c reactive protein. CRP was elevated. Then I did a urine amino acids profile. Oxidative stress off the charts. Lots of problems there. Multiple elevations, taurine, glutamate, beta alanine, alpha aminoadipate, anserine, carnosine, 1-methylhistidine.

Anyone know a good site for guidance on amino acids? I've got more tests coming. I'm taking a shot gun approach to this. I'm going to get this figured out, but want to get a head start. Thanks!