• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

International Awareness Day televised panel discussion on May 12 in Burlington Vermont

Dolphin

I think people anywhere in the world will be able to watch this online at: https://www.cctv.org/welcome

International Awareness Day televised panel discussion on May 12 in Burlington Vermont

May 12, 2015 in Shelburne Vermont.

May 12, 2016

International ME/CFS/Lyme Disease Awareness Day

A Panel Discussion: CCTV Channel 17

294 No. Winooski Avenue, Burlington, VT

7:00 – 8:00 PM

This will be "Live" television with a studio audience.

You are invited to attend.

A Disease By Any Other Name...

30 years ago, it was nationally proclaimed to be, "Yuppie Flu," and thus began a decades-long history of malfeasance about a collection of immune system dysfunctions that has disabled, and made homebound, tens of thousands in this country alone. From a national hysteria to the condescending "chronic fatigue syndrome", it has been the subject of jokes, ridicule and outright scorn. In Canada and Europe it's Myalgic Encephalomylitis, in the United States it is currently called ME/CFS, despite the Institute of Medicine's effort to rename it SEID, or "Systemic Exertional Intolerance Disease". Inadequately taught in medical schools, it is dismissed as a non-existent illness, or worse yet misdiagnosed as a somatoform disorder in doctors' offices across the land. Patients, in desperate straights, search for a glimmer of medical help that simply isn't there.

In the first Gulf War, 36 years ago, thousands came home terribly ill, and only recently has their illness been recognized as real. Lyme disease and other tick-borne illnesses have become an incurable, national plague. The symptoms of these illnesses are remarkably similar to those of ME/CFS: unrelenting exhaustion, sore throats, joint pain, migraine headaches, cognitive impairment, post exertional malaise. Thousands of patients in our region are homebound and bedbound. And if that's not enough, for many, their symptoms do not improve for weeks, months, years, and decades.

The disrespect and misdiagnoses of these illnesses destroys lives, tears families apart, and costs billions of dollars in lost productivity. They are a severe, international, medical problem, made worse by their not being recognized by many who are supposed to provide care for them. The name alone has been debated for 40 years.

Our panelists will explore ME/CFS and Lyme Disease and we have only one hour for what requires weeks, months, years, and most likely generations to address.

Rik Carlson, Director ImmuneDysfunction.org

Rik will be the host and moderator.

The panelists will include:

Kenneth J. Friedman, Ph.D.

Dr. Friedman is a retired Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Physiology. He co-authored the Consensus Manual for the Primary Care and Management of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome . He is trained to present the now defunct CDC's diagnosing and treatment course for CFS and has since written his own diagnosis and treatment course which was approved by the American Academy of Family Physicians. He was a member of the initial Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Advisory Committee, is an author of the ME/CFS Primer, is on the steering committee and authoring committee of the international Pediatric and Adolescent ME/CFS Primer. Dr. Friedman served on the planning committee, and was a presenter at the N.I.H. Chronic Fatigue Syndrome State of Knowledge Workshop. He served as Treasurer of the IACFS/ME, and currently serves as Treasurer of NJME/CFSA and on the Board of Directors of ImmuneDysfunction.org.

Dr. Friedman will discuss his recommendation to establish regional ME/CFS Centers of Excellence to be presented to the CFS Advisory Committee in Washington D.C.

David Maughan, Ph.D.

Dr. Maughan is a research professor emeritus at the University of Vermont and will explain Why patients with ME/CFS feel so fatigued.

Terry Naumann, M.D.

Dr. Naumann has the unique distinction of being a physician with direct personal knowledge of this disease. His insight is invaluable and he will address how to get the most out of your Doctor visit.

Senator David Zuckerman

Senator Zuckerman was 14 years in the Vermont House of Representatives and now 4 years in the Vermont Senate. Senator Zuckerman will share the experience of his wife who currently suffers from Lyme and other tick borne diseases after being infected about 14 years ago. He will also talk about his role as lead sponsor of a bill that would allow medical doctors in Vermont broader flexibility in treating Lyme disease.

Jeff Wulfman, M.D.

Dr. Wulfman will discuss Lyme disease placed into the perspective of related and overlapping illnesses.

Dolphin

One can watch this now

https://www.cctv.org/watch-tv/programs/2016-immune-dysfunction-mecfs-awareness-panel

2016 Immune Dysfunction (ME/CFS) Awareness Panel
Tell us about your experience with this online video, click here.

Embed This Player
Order Now!

Summary
Description
May 12 is International Awareness Day for ME/CFS. Because of the overlap of ME/CFS with Fibromyalgia & Lyme Disease, ImmuneDysfunction.org, a 501(c)3 private foundation, hosts a panel discussion to explore the ramifications of these diseases in Vermont, and the current specifics and trends in research, and clinical care.

Rik Carlson, Director ImmuneDysfunction.org

Chittenden County State Senator David Zuckerman, an outspoken advocate for Lyme Disease reforms and candidate for Lt. Governor, joins panelists with a combined experience of over one hundred years with these diseases in Vermont.

Kenneth J. Friedman, Ph.D. Adjunct Instructor, Natural Sciences, Castleton State College.

David W. Maughan, Ph.D. Research Professor, Department of Molecular Physiology and Biophysics, The University of Vermont.

Terry Naumann, M.D. Volunteer Physician at Open Door Clinic in Middlebury and Vergennes, and at The Peoples Health and Wellness Clinic in Barre, VT Clinical Assistant Professor, Dept of Family Practice, University of Vermont, College of Medicine.

Jeff Wulfman MD, ABFM, ABIHM. Dr. Jeff Wulfman is a Family Physician practicing primary care in Bristol Vermont. He is Board Certified both in Family Medicine and Integrative Holistic Medicine.

More information available at: www.ImmuneDysfunction.org

Related Issues
Tags
Airtimes
1 Thursday May 12, 2016 at 7:00 PM
2 Monday May 16, 2016 at 5:25 PM
Worker