• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SIBO symptoms for Methane vs Hydrogen

From my brief understanding there are two different categories of SIBO type one
that produce methane and the other hydrogen.

If this is correct are there different sets of symptoms that can be used to determine methane or hydrogen producing bacteria overgrowth?

South

I've heard (anecdotally) that the methane producing bacteria cause constipation, and the hydrogen producing bacteria produce diarrhea...but don't quote me on that, it was just from some non-expert comment somewhere that I read.

Firefly_

I was dx with the methane "flavor" of sibo and had been dealing with chronic constipation for about 6 or 7 months. Took rifaximan and neomycin. Waiting on results from follow up test to see if I need another round of treatment.

From my brief understanding there are two different categories of SIBO type one
that produce methane and the other hydrogen.

If this is correct are there different sets of symptoms that can be used to determine methane or hydrogen producing bacteria overgrowth?

Other than South's reply #2 the rest have nothing to do with my question!