• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My trip to the Charite in Berlin

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
I've just got back from my appointment at the Charite in Berlin. I thought of writing a brief report, but instead I am making a self-indulgent wordy blog about it. Dammit I just feel like writing something. Part 1 is up in the blog section. Part 2 coming tomorrow, or whenever, you know how it is ...

TiredSam

I remember some talk about Berlin, but not understanding this thread. We have a link or 2?

GG

This thread is just to notify people of my blog post here:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?entries/trip-to-the-charite-in-berlin-part-1.1952/

There are links in that blog with more information about the Charite and how I got to go there. The Charite is the name of the University Hospital in Berlin. They have a CFS outpatients' clinic in their Immunology department. They also do research into CFS under the direction of Prof. MD. Carmen Scheibenbogen, and have published 3 papers recently that have been discussed on PR.

They investigate CFS as a deficiency of the immune system, and are overwhelmed by the demand from CFS patients, I had to wait 9 months for an appointment. I am in the German health system so I got to go, I have heard that they don't take patients from abroad. I wanted to go because in my opinion it's where the real experts are in Germany and I didn't have to pay thousands for a private appointment.

TiredSam

Where is part 4? Good god man, its worse than waiting for the next Dickens instalment!
I'm sorry, I want to find time to sit down and write it soon, but after the weekend it's back to work and having headaches and other stuff going on etc. It's definitely on the way, but we artists can't be rushed ...

I was thinking perhaps I should put the next installments behind a paywall, would that be ok with everyone?

TiredSam

Part 4 is up, which moves the story on a little bit. This is only going to get done in dribs and drabs, but at least it's still free, due to the the militant reaction of a vociferous minority to my paywall suggestion which has forced me to have a panic button installed in my house.

I've done the cliff-hanger thing again, just because I can :p