• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Felodipine - a calcium-channel blocker - tried it?

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I am currently trying Felodipine - a calcium-channel blocker. I am getting mixed results, but they could be mixed up with the adverse effects I have had from goodness-knows-what in the last few years with at least 2 drugs, not least migraines, natriuresis and stroke-like episodes.

I apologise in advance if I am not able to answer very well, but any info will be welcome.

Is there real evidence that these drugs can have long-term effects, both good and bad?

Do adverse events last long?

Etc.

(I can't do my usually-detailed searches.)

Waverunner

Not sure if this if of any help to you but I tried Niflumic acid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niflumic_acid
"It has also been reported to act on GABA-A and NMDA channels and to block T-type calcium channels."

It increased energy for me and removed brain fog. Unfortunately it also made we wake up at 4 am and didn't let me sleep anymore till I got up at 6 but it was still a nice drug.

MeSci

Not sure if this if of any help to you but I tried Niflumic acid. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niflumic_acid
"It has also been reported to act on GABA-A and NMDA channels and to block T-type calcium channels."

It increased energy for me and removed brain fog. Unfortunately it also made we wake up at 4 am and didn't let me sleep anymore till I got up at 6 but it was still a nice drug.
Thanks. I have now tried and abandoned Felodipine (for 3 weeks, I think), also Mukta Vati for short period, then Bisoprolol for 6 days - couldn't tolerate any of them.

Have abandoned them all for now.

Actually felt reasonably well for a while this morning while sleeping (maybe because of diphenhydramine?) - even dreamed - but it hasn't lasted...

:(

Waverunner

Thanks. I have now tried and abandoned Felodipine (for 3 weeks, I think), also Mukta Vati for short period, then Bisoprolol for 6 days - couldn't tolerate any of them.

Have abandoned them all for now.

Actually felt reasonably well for a while this morning while sleeping (maybe because of diphenhydramine?) - even dreamed - but it hasn't lasted...

:(

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried niflumic acid? In France, niflumic acid is sold over the counter, in other countries it is not available at all.

MeSci

Sorry to hear that. Have you tried niflumic acid? In France, niflumic acid is sold over the counter, in other countries it is not available at all.
No - I suspect anything with fluoride in it may be bad news for me. I don't have pain, just this damn high blood pressure - and now I have high energy 6 days after stopping - I feel very anxious and hyper.

Waverunner

Yes, I also had concerns about the fluoride and this was one reason why I stopped it. If you find something that works please let me know.