• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SEATTLE MEAction Protest - What to put on a Banner?

Justin30

Hi Everyone,

My parents are going to the Seatle MEAction protest and will be making a Banner to hold up.

I am reaching out to the community to get some suggestions of what to put on the banner.

If you can think of something short and catchy that would be great.

Ill let everyone know what catch phrase is chosen.

Thanks in advance for your input.

actup

You're welcome. Maybe someone much better connected than I might be able to suggest a link. Meanwhile I'll research a little.

JaimeS

Hey, @Justin30 -- if you want to be really fancy, you can download the Permanent Marker font for free -- it's what is used in #MEAction's #MillionsMissing stuff.

Hmm, maybe tell people what you, personally, are missing. What did you used to do that you no longer can? That's the theme: what's missing because of ME/CFS. You might say you're missing biomedical research, or your clarity of thought, or the ability to be at this protest personally!

-J

aaron_c

If you want to go for humor, you could borrow from the ME/CFS Downfall Parody. Something like:

[A Picture of You]
Saying he has "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" is like
Saying lepers have "Chronic Dandruff Disease"
#MillionsMissing​

Or on a more serious note:

[A Picture of You]
My son's illness affects more Americans than HIV/AIDS.
His disease is so miserable and the treatments so ineffective that doctors say he would be better off with AIDS.
But in 2015 ME/CFS got less federal funding than male-pattern baldness.
#MillionsMissing
Three cheers for your parents, @Justin30 .

Justin30

If you want to go for humor, you could borrow from the ME/CFS Downfall Parody. Something like:

[A Picture of You]
Saying he has "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" is like
Saying lepers have "Chronic Dandruff Disease"
#MillionsMissing​

Or on a more serious note:

[A Picture of You]
His disease is so miserable and the treatments so ineffective that doctors say he would be better off with AIDS.
#MillionsMissing
Three cheers for your parents, @Justin30 .

Those are all great might have to get 3 banners lol

SB_1108

Based on AIDS activism:

Fight ME! Not People with ME!

What do we want? Money for ME! When Do We Want it? NOW!

Drug Treatment On Demand! ME Won't Wait!

NIH and CDC. ME WON'T WAIT! ME MONEY NOW!

HISTORY WILL RECALL. YOU DID NOTHING AT ALL! ME CLINICAL TRIALS NOW!

PRETTY SPEECHES CANT SAVE LIVES! ME FUNDING NOW!

ME ACTION NOW!

INVEST IN ME!

aaron_c

We might want to be careful using the abbreviation "ME." Most people have no idea what it stands for, and I am afraid that we could come off as a joke protest to the casual passerby. I'm not saying not to use ME at all, but saying something like "Fight ME! Not People with ME!" might inadvertently (and somewhat comically) be asking for trouble...

I also think that in order for ME or ME/CFS to be understood to be an acronym, it is helpful if the other parts of the statement are not all in caps. Fight ME is still better than FIGHT ME :)

Bit of a (possibly) amusing one but putting it out there for brainstorming purposes (and my brainfogged fingers just tried to make that "brian storming porpoises"... :bang-head:).

What does M.E. need? RESEARCH! (or FUNDING etc etc) When does M.E. need it? NOW!
M.E. - a biological condition ruining the lives of millions and costing this country billions

The idea being a reader will initially see ME not M.E. and will scan it again to try to make sense of it, therefore taking in the bottom line as well - in theory at least.

JaimeS

[A Picture of You]
#MillionsMissing

Really powerful... :(

I think if you're trying to make signs that are impressionable and captivating, the shorter the better. (People are lazy and don't like to read long ones. And also you might not have the strength to hold a poster sign that large :lol:) I kind of like the phrase
"INVISIBLE NO MORE"..it fits with our goal which is somewhat is to be SEEN since we've been ignored/passed over..basically unseen for so long.

Another idea is to have a sign that says "BELIEVE IN M.E." and then underneath it it can say
"IT'S A DISEASE, NOT BIGFOOT"

Or replace bigfoot with SANTA CLAUSE or something like that ;) We might as well make fun of the fact that there are people who don't "believe" in CFS..which I always thought was..well, stupid. Anyway, I'll keep thinking. Y'all rock!