• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Klonopin taper

I started taking 1mg Ativan daily Oct 1, 2015. Then switched to 2mg Klonopin daily on Mar 8, 2016. Then upped the Klonopin to 3mg daily on Mar 25, 2016.

On April 18, 2016 I approached my psychiatrist about tapering off the 3mg Klonopin daily. He had me cut my dose to 1.5mg daily. For the first week I felt fine. But yesterday I began feeling extremely anxious. And today feel even worse. I'm even thinking of bumping back up to 3mg for today only (read next for reason why only today).

I met with the psychiatrist today and he suggested I start on the following plan:

Week 1 (starting tomorrow) - 100mg Librium for 7 days

Week 2 - 75mg Librium for 7 days

Week 3 - 50mg Librium for 7 days

Week 4 - 25mg Librium for 7 days

I'm also taking Cymbalta 60mg daily and plan to stay on it.

Is this an adequate plan - 4 weeks? Or should I push for the Ashton Method using Valium, that I've read about?

Your insights are appreciated.

belize44

I wouldn't know what to advise, but will share something that I experienced with both Ativan and Klonopin. I had been taking Ativan daily but my doctor wanted me to stop and begin taking Klonopin. I did so, and began feeling very anxious, before experiencing day long crying jags. I stopped the Klonopin and went back on the Ativan. When I wanted to get off that as well, I found that the supplement GABA helped me not to go into severe withdrawal. I have heard of the Ashton method, but never tried it. I was going to but my doctor wouldn't give me a script for one Valium pill.

I am a little puzzled about why they were having you take both Klonopin and Ativan at the same time?

I moved from Ativan to Klonopin. Didn't take both at same time.

How long were you on. Ativan and what dosage?
When did you taper off? How long did it take you?

Dave

belize44

I moved from Ativan to Klonopin. Didn't take both at same time.

How long were you on. Ativan and what dosage?
When did you taper off? How long did it take you?

Dave
I was only taking half of a .5 m tablet, for about two years. It didn't take long to taper off because I wasn't taking that much; probably two weeks at the most! I did this about two years ago.