• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Schizophyllan and CFS recoveries in the 90s

Biarritz13

Page 76 of the book Shiitake: The Healing Mushroom

"Schizophyllan, or SPG, is chemically related to lentinan and has a similar structure. SPG is derived from the mycelium of suehoritake, a smallfanshaped mushroom (Schizaphyllum commune) that appears like little shells of white lace.

Also known as sizofiran, SPG is one of a large number of structurally related polysaccharides known as beta-glucans. Now a product of Kaken Pharmaceutical of Tokyo, it has shown immunologic activities in animals and benefits to cancer patients similar to that of lentinan. True to its roots in folk medicine, for gynecological diseases SPG is now largely used in the treatment of cervical cancer.

In the spring of 1992, Dr. Atsushi Uchida of Kyoto University announced that he had tested the glucan in eleven Japanese CFS patients, and ten had clearly shown improvements. Of these, three were able to return to work. The other seven, who were so ill they couldn’t even maintain household chores or walk up a flight of stairs, all had resumed a “regular life”. For all ten, NK cell activity levels were restored to “normal”.

By the summer of 1993, Dr. Uchida had treated over thirty patients with SPG, some of them Americans and Canadians. About half of them had made a complete recovery from the disease for over six months and were living a normal life. These patients had had severe cases.

Before SPG, they had been largely confined to home. Whatever treatment they had received previously was without any effect in improving their symptoms. But after one to two months of SPG daily (20mg a day, orally), for more than 90 percent, the debilitating fatigue was either reduced or entirely gone, without any side effects from the treatment.

NK cell activity was restored in consistent parallel to the abatement of symptoms. It is interesting to note that as with patients with major depression, there were signs of an overactive immune system. For example, the rate at which lymphocytes were produced in the blood was elevated, but after treatment the rate normalized.

Serum levels of interleukin 2 were also elevated, returning to normal after SPG. Elevated levels of interleukin 2 receptor-bearing cells would tend to indicate immune system activation, since these receptors are found on the membrane of T-cells in an activated state. However, the responsiveness of T-cells to activations by interleukin 2 only returned in the CFS patients after therapy with SPG…"

Last edited:

Hip

Very interesting, though there appears to be no published studies by Dr Uchida on the efficacy of schizophyllan for ME/CFS.

From page 76 of the book: Shiitake: The Healing Mushroom, where it states Dr Uchida treated 30 ME/CFS patients with schizophyllan and half these patients made a complete recovery: the book's reference number for that statement is 125, and looking this number up at the end of the book, it says: "125. Dr A Uchida, letter to the author, June 18, 1993." So there is not a published paper for this.

There was a conference paper by Uchida et al in 1993 on the benefits of schizophyllan for ME/CFS:

Treatment with beta glucan sizofiran of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome: Restoration of blood nk cell activity and improvement of clinical symptoms. Kariva, Y; Teshigawara, K; Uchida, A. November 1993.

Note that sizofiran is another name for schizophyllan.

Here is the abstract of that paper:
Uchida 1993.png

To quote the above abstract:
[After treatment with schizophyllan] 90% of patients recovered from debilitating fatigue and other symptoms such as low-grade fever, painful lymph nodes, headache, muscle pain, arthralgia, and neuropsychologic complaints (depression etc).

Last edited:

Hip

Biarritz13

Thank you Hip for digging this out.

Actually it's not easy to find Schizophyllan without something else in it except of the horse products (or maybe I am not good for searching) but I found this one which is not cheap at all.

There is also some powerful blend with Schizophyllan in it like this product :
"Introducing MGN-3, the only natural immune complex proven to triple T-Cell, B-Cell, and NK Cell (natural killer cell) protection. Studies at the Drew Medical School of U.C.L.A. prove it can enhance specific aspects of immune activity better than any vitamins tested, better than herbs or herbal combinations and better than medicinal mushrooms tested."

Who is going to be the guinea pig?

Hip

MGN-3, which is a potent inducer of natural killer cell activation, had rather disappointing results as an ME/CFS treatment in a RCT trial.

However, schizophyllan may be a different case. Schizophyllan increases NK function, but also increases IL-2 responses in ME/CFS patients. IL-2 is Th1 cytokine, which may therefore help increase the intracellular / antiviral immune response.

It is strange though why schizophyllan is so hard to find as a supplement. Perhaps it is hard to produce?

Biarritz13

MGN-3, which is a potent inducer of natural killer cell activation, had rather disappointing results as an ME/CFS treatment in a RCT trial.

However, schizophyllan may be a different case. Schizophyllan increases NK function, but also increases IL-2 responses in ME/CFS patients. IL-2 is Th1 cytokine, which may therefore help increase the intracellular / antiviral immune response.

It is strange though why schizophyllan is so hard to find as a supplement. Perhaps it is hard to produce?

According to Dr. Uchida it should be a different case but we can't know for sure unless we try it.

Maybe businessmen thought that betaglucan from rice bran (which is more produced because easier) had the same properties as the one from schizophyllan...

ukxmrv

It didn't take the ME and CFS groups by storm in the 90's. Lots of us tried the shitake mushrooms or the extract. No cures that I know of.

If he had cured international patients (and they stayed cured) they would have been talking about it on the internet as we do today.

I'm not saying that there isn't anything to it or that we maybe needed a different type. It's just not a closely guarded secret or something that worked and was forgotten sadly.

Biarritz13

It didn't take the ME and CFS groups by storm in the 90's. Lots of us tried the shitake mushrooms or the extract. No cures that I know of.

If he had cured international patients (and they stayed cured) they would have been talking about it on the internet as we do today.

I'm not saying that there isn't anything to it or that we maybe needed a different type. It's just not a closely guarded secret or something that worked and was forgotten sadly.

Excuse me for this question but how did you manage to try the extract in the 90s? It's not easy to find it right now so in the 90s...:bang-head:

You're right about talking about it on the internet but there is also some people who prefer to leave the disease behind them, forget it, move on and live their life...

But you may be right, it's possible that there is nothing to gain from it.

ukxmrv

Theodore. I'm not sure what specific version of the extract was available in the 90's but there were mushroom supplements from herbal medical practitioners back then and this work on was known.

I'm allergic to mushrooms so it really stuck in my mind. The one I tried made me violently sick. Usual story of choosing to do something that could potentially make me worse, in order to see if I could get better. People with cancer have been using mushrooms from herbal medicine for a long time.

Not trying to rain on your parade. The 90's had support and early internet groups and treatments were roundly discussed as we do today

It's try that there are people who get better and move on but patients who traveled to see international doctors and have success in those early days tended to be vocal about it.

It may be that the supplements or herbal medical extracts that we ordinary patients used weren't strong enough back then.

Hutan

Schizophyllan, or SPG, is chemically related to lentinan and has a similar structure. SPG is derived from the mycelium of suehoritake, a smallfanshaped mushroom (Schizaphyllum commune) that appears like little shells of white lace.
Shiitake isn't the same kind of mushroom as Schizaphyllum commune. Both may well be useless in fixing ME/CFS, but I wouldn't write Schizaphyllum off on the basis of shiitake not working.