• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

What has been your best anti viral approach and treatment success

SunMoonsStars

I am trying to get feedback
Please if you you can list your most successful treatment options when combating what you know as a active viral load and are aware of it with symptoms to match.
I am not asking about just general CFS/ME overall but things like activated Virus episodes of any kind.

Did you get best results from Anti viral or immune modulators or combination of both and which ones were your favorites?

I would like to have made a poll but the list would end up long.
Would be great to hear and see responses.

Thank you

Hutan

Valtrex 1000 mg/day to stop recurrent cold sores. If I stop for a day or two, I get a cold sore. I've tried lysine but it's not enough on its own and I can't discern any benefit from it when taken with Valtrex.

JES

Just recently started an experiment on fluoxetine (too early to make conclusions yet). Why? Because recent studies show it potently inhibits many enteroviruses. Very few drugs work against enteroviruses, and the few supplement that perhaps do I doubt are not bioavailable enough, whereas fluoxetine enters for example the brain and CNS very well.

SunMoonsStars

Thank you so much for the responses.

Famvir - Wow two days and that was all it took.!!! That is a great response.
Has anyone ordered that through online pharmacy on your own ? What pharmacy do you use?

Immunivor - How long did it take you to notice improvement with that therapy?

Fluoxetine - Would to hear how that goes.

Uno

I used reishi and astragalus in the early days and found it quite useful. I'm going to try Fluoxitine - it's not an antiviral though. I want to try anti retroviral drugs.

RUkiddingME

Definitely Valcyte for me. The first two tries were very successful. This time I seem to have become resistant to it and not seeing the initial success.

Tammy

I am on a protocol for EBV........and am seeing improvements but way to early in the protocol to call it successful at this point. Some of the things I'm taking against EBV are Cats Claw, L-lysine, Licorice extract, Zinc, Ester C.

Undisclosed

At the beginning of this thread a member asked for feedback related to asking members to list their most successful treatment options for fighting known active viral infections and wasn't restricting answers to viral infections related to ME/CFS.

The thread was taken off-topic by a member commenting on how the were avoiding getting new viral infections which was meant to be a joke. The member apologized for this and for not using emoticons/smilies to indicate it was a joke. The joke spawned quite a few posts that were unrelated to the original topic of this post. These posts have been removed to get the thread back on topic.

Thank you.

The thread is now open again.

ebethc

Olive leaf extract.

which viruses do you have? I only have EBV, and I'm wondering if massive doses of olive leaf extract (3 - 4 grams per day) can help if I take it for months (4 or 6?)... I have been on it for ~3 weeks at high doses, and it finally killed a sore throat and swollen gland I've had for 1.5 years; I've reached a plateau, but am going to keep going b/c I think it's safer than pharma antivirals

can you share your experience w olive leaf extract? thanks.

ahmo

I don't have any diagnostics. I initially used olive leaf for herpes, it was wonderful. Then I did an SIBO, fungal purge, which I've written about in a blog post. I'm currently using small amounts of OLE daily as antioxidant. When I go for another round of Candida purge, soon, I most likely won't use OLE, as my ongoing use will likely make it ineffective in this context. I've switched to a high strength OLE liquid. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/401003526743

ebethc

I don't have any diagnostics. I initially used olive leaf for herpes, it was wonderful. Then I did an SIBO, fungal purge, which I've written about in a blog post. I'm currently using small amounts of OLE daily as antioxidant. When I go for another round of Candida purge, soon, I most likely won't use OLE, as my ongoing use will likely make it ineffective in this context. I've switched to a high strength OLE liquid. http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/401003526743

do you think that OLE is as effective as Valtrex or Famvir? Have you tried those? How were the side effects?

what's the highest does of OLE that you've taken?

thanks

ahmo

I used one anti-viral from my GP for herpes, when it was at its worth. After a few days I reacted badly to it, as I tend to do w/ rx drugsm main symptom urticaria. That's when I switched to OLE, initially NOW capsules. It worked fast. Highest level: You'll have to look at my Candida blog to see how much I was taking, when I was cycling through a variety of things.