• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Borrelia positive through Arminlabs. I am positive or not?

Hey,

So I got positive for Borrelia, EBV, Coxsackie.

Also:
Positive for Erchilia (Elispot), negative through antibodies.
Positive for Chlaymidia Pneumonie (antibodies), negative through Elispot.
Mycoplasma (antibodies, bordeline infection)

Screen Shot 2016-04-20 at 5.17.49 PM.png

My CD 57 cell count is 32. 100-360 (normal range), that clearly indicates a chronic bacterial infection. Dr. Armin himself says that my low CD 57 value is a result of Borrelia + Erchilia.

Now the problem is that my Borrelia values are quite low. 3, being the highest.
I am not the typical Borrelia patient, I lack joint/muscle pains, severe headaches, vision problems. My problems are the hidden respiratory/urinary infections, flu-like symptoms, brain fog, memory problems, anxiety/depression.
Am I really Borrelia positive?
One thing that is worth mentioning is that I do improve on antibiotics, especially on penicillin and doxaxycline.

Last edited:

msf

I can´t see your Ehrlichia values - were they borderline too? If they are high, I think that increases the likelihood that you have been bitten by a tick, but there is a lot of debate about this.

Last edited:

msf

Hmm, then I guess they could both be because the cut off point is too low. Do you know if the antibodies to Cpn and Mycoplasma are suggestive of an active infection?

msf

Oh, you didn´t say whether you were positive on antibodies for Borrelia.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I lacked joint pain and vision problems for a while too....not so now.

msf

I didn´t even know that headaches and vision problems are associated with Lyme.

Hmm, then I guess they could both be because the cut off point is too low. Do you know if the antibodies to Cpn and Mycoplasma are suggestive of an active infection?

They are not. CPn showed positive to antibodies, but negative to Elispot (so no active infection)
Mycoplasma's antibodies were borderline.

So my low CD57 count cannot be explained through CPn and Mycoplasma's presence.
twar.png

msf

As far as I recall, the one paper published on this subject suggested that the Cpn ELISPOT wasn´t as useful as the antibody test, but I might have got that the wrong way round.

This was the paper I was talking about: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3565243/ It seems to suggest that neither the LTT or the antibody tests are that useful at the moment. If you look at Table 2 though, the results of both seemed to agree fairly well in one patient population.

Last edited:

duncan

Neuro-Lyme sports those symptoms sometimes.

All tests will prove is exposure, hence the need for a clinical diagnosis. It helps to test positive, though, often more for the clinician than the patient.

Still, shy of a culture, there is no way of proving active infection, although a positive pcr comes close. The Elispot has an additional strike in that it is not accepted yet by mainstream Lyme interests like the IDSA - even though their accepted tests pretty much suck.

The patients keep on losing here. The only winners consistently are insurance companies.

As you can see, I am really confused.
Dr. Armin is sure I have Borrelia.

2 facts straightening this are:

1) The low CD57 count in the absence of CPn and Mycoplasma bacterial activity.
2) My response to antibiotics.

2 facts that counterargument Borrelia hypothesis:

1) The relatively low values that are borderline
2) No history of thick bites that I can recall

I thought these tests would shed some light on my health situation, but it made it even worse

msf

Yes, like a lot of people I think you have to weigh up the fact that these tests haven´t been shown to be effective by several groups against the circumstantial evidence, which isn´t easy to do and really leaves it up to the individual as to whether it is worthwhile pursuing treatment.

Last edited:
Yes, like a lot of people I think you have to weigh up the fact that these tests haven´t been shown to be effective by several groups against the circumstantial evidence, which isn´t easy to do and really leaves it up to the individual as to whether they think it is worthwhile pursuing treatment.

Yes, but I don't want to spend my life in treating Borrelia to no avail, or to believe I have Borrelia when my problem in reality could be a virus.
plus that antibiotics are not really ''vitamins'' to your body either :)

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Having low values doesn't mean you are 'less positive', my LTT for lyme was lower than yours and I have a clinical dx. You have Elrichia, Lyme on the LTT and a supressed immune system (CD57) I would have thought Lyme was highly likely from this scenario.

Having low values doesn't mean you are 'less positive', my LTT for lyme was lower than yours and I have a clinical dx. You have Elrichia, Lyme on the LTT and a supressed immune system (CD57) I would have thought Lyme was highly likely from this scenario.

No Mycoplasma and Chalamydia Pneumonie, even though tested positive?
I know that it's not really important treatment wise, as they all respond to doxycicline, but both Chalymdia Pneunomie and Mycoplasma describe my symtoms better than Borrelia