• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

"Why the dispute about PACE trial data matters to everyone."

Bob

I think this is a really great blog. It's an interesting discussion, and an excellent argument. Well referenced too: A nice lot of weblinks. And it's very clearly written, so it's easy to read, in case anyone is struggling to take on board new info. I hope it gets read widely; the subject deserves a wide audience.

SilverbladeTE

because once you can cherry pick a science and especially a MEDICAL science study, you aren't conducting Science any more
and with medical research, you are abusing and thus quite probably, going to murder patients by false and criminally negligent practices.

it IS murder when you know it will lead to wrongful death in huge numbers.

and runs into the wider moral and ethical questions of the deliberate genocide of "troublesome" or disliked groups in society.

PACE is part of a deliberate campaign of government approved mass murder.
Stop bloody pussy footing around this.
there aim might not be deliberate murder, they haven't even got the balls for that!
but they KNOW it will result in the incredible suffering and deaths of thousands of innocent people, of children being wrongfully stolen by government agencies form their parents whom they claim are "abusing" the child with Munchausen's Syndrome By proxy

I have F' ALL TOLERANCE FOR SUCH SHIT
END OF STORY

such evils ARE to be fought and if not stopped by normal sensible legal and ethical means
then by the most severe methods we know of.

wrongful imprisonment, kidnap, torture, murder, child abduction and abuse...
that IS what it's about.

And God damn the bastards like Wessely, Ian Duncan Smith and others for degenerating our societies to the point where such may well HAVE to be done, or see worse occur or stomach a return to the Victorian England some freaks thing was "wonderful".
it should never ever come to such, but we do not live in the civilized, democratic countries we're brainwashed into thinking we are in. Blech :(

PACE is just one small part of a huge dismantling of our societies' ethical limits and rules
to let vermin get away with anything they like.
literal "death of a thousand cuts" as all those "annoying rules and taxes" are chopped away by the inbred numbnut knob strutters like David Cameron!

sigh
Feels like I'm living in a Kafka novel :p

david-cameron-071.jpg

Yogi

Hi @JohntheJack - A great blog and good summary with references. Is this your first blog? I have come across your twitter a/c before when looking at Coyneoftherealm but this is the first long blog I read. Good stuff!

I think what you wrote needed to be said and thanks for doing so. We need to start to get the problems with PACE into a wider context and a wider audience and this does it very well by explaining how this case affects all science and scientists. I see Coyne tweeted it so hopefully other scientists will sit up and take more notice.

Do you know if anyone from the ME community is going to the court case tomorrow?

JohntheJack

Hi @JohntheJack - A great blog and good summary with references. Is this your first blog? I have come across your twitter a/c before when looking at Coyneoftherealm but this is the first long blog I read. Good stuff!

I think what you wrote needed to be said and thanks for doing so. We need to start to get the problems with PACE into a wider context and a wider audience and this does it very well by explaining how this case affects all science and scientists. I see Coyne tweeted it so hopefully other scientists will sit up and take more notice.

Do you know if anyone from the ME community is going to the court case tomorrow?

Thanks, Yogi. Yes, my first attempt at a blog, though I have been tweeting for a while. The tweets are more general stuff, with occasional ones on ME.

Kind of you. I agree: we need to reach out and it was an attempt to do that a bit.

My understanding is that a few who are known here and to patients will be there. I hope it all goes well for them.

worldbackwards

I get a bit PACEd out these days but I thought this was good because, despite a number of nominally independent commentators covering this issue, they usually take the investigators explanations at face value rather than asking the blindingly obvious question: why, after every objection has been struck down, does another arrive immediately in it's wake, now even going to the extent of declaring the whole concept of data sharing as untenable?

It strikes me as far more likely in such circumstances that it is the data, rather than the patients, that is being protected and if we have to go to the extent of asking philosophical questions (always the PACE investigators favourite playground, one where right and wrong becomes a distinctly sketchy concept) about the nature of data sharing as a whole, this smacks of a desperate attempt to keep things buried when there is no excuse for them not to be let out into the light, rather than a valid objection which deserves even momentary consideration.

Last edited:

alex3619

Not sure I say anything about the nature of ME. If you let me know what the issue is I'll see if I can do something about it.
My bad. I read several articles today but the minor error wasn't in yours. Sorry. On rereading it was plain the error I recall was not there, so it was somewhere else.

PS I misremembered this statement:

... a very complex and severe clinical phenotype covering a wide range of physiological and psychological disease origins.

from file:
https://forbetterscience.wordpress.com/2016/04/05/does-the-lancet-care-about-patients/

I might even have got the pages I was on mixed up and commented on the wrong article.

Last edited:

JohntheJack

My bad. I read several articles today but the minor error wasn't in yours. Sorry. On rereading it was plain the error I recall was not there, so it was somewhere else.

PS I misremembered this statement:

from file:///C:/Users/Alex/Desktop/Babble%202016/Does%20The%20Lancet%20care%20about%20patients%20%20%E2%80%93%20For%20Better%20Science.htm

I might even have got the pages I was on mixed up and commented on the wrong article.

No problem. Yes, I would have a problem with 'psychological disease origins'.