• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dish soap? CIRS? Mold?

Sam7777

I was a bit curious. These chemicals in dish soap are thiols, and sort of not ideal according to the environmental working group.
Has anyone here had MCS or CIRS or MCAS or something a long those lines and had issues with soaps and detergents?
Thiols could be bad for Hg toxic people, hypothetically. It's hard to say on some given chemical.

I'm sort of really paranoid at this point about something really being in this house, like a chemical allergy or something. I'm guessing since about 2014 march, but it got real bad back in October 2015. That's when I developed uber histamine issues and my hair started falling out. I started up Kefir, and got out of here to a different place for a while and my hair has been fine for three months.

So...well I can't get any crazier claiming amalgam illness to the naysayers, if I was getting a bad end of the stick on account of some lame 'green' dish soap I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm thinking mold, broke pipes, or something really common like dish soap. Right, I mean you have to be constantly exposed to it I figure. Logically.

http://www.ewg.org/guides/substances/152568

perchance dreamer

I use 7th Generation Free and Clear dish liquid. I don't have a problem with it.

Ingredients: Water, sodium lauryl sulfate (plant-derived cleaning agent), glycerin (plant-derived foam stabilizer), lauramine oxide (plant-based cleaning agent), caprylyl/myristyl glucoside (plant-derived cleaning agent), magnesium chloride (mineral-based viscosity modifier), citric acid (plant-derived pH adjuster), and benzisothiazolinone and methylisothiazolinone (synthetic preservatives)

Valentijn

sodium lauryl sulfate
This is the one that causes me problems. It's in almost every shampoo as well, and it doesn't make it any gentler if it's plant-derived, organic, or hand-crafted by unicorns :p It's still too harsh for many people with sensitive skin.

In my case, the skin it has contact with gets dry and flaky, and sores develop if I keep using it. "Sodium (anything) sulfate" has the same effect. So for me, mild ingredients are the main concern.

u&iraok

I was a bit curious. These chemicals in dish soap are thiols, and sort of not ideal according to the environmental working group.
Has anyone here had MCS or CIRS or MCAS or something a long those lines and had issues with soaps and detergents?
Thiols could be bad for Hg toxic people, hypothetically. It's hard to say on some given chemical.

I'm sort of really paranoid at this point about something really being in this house, like a chemical allergy or something. I'm guessing since about 2014 march, but it got real bad back in October 2015. That's when I developed uber histamine issues and my hair started falling out. I started up Kefir, and got out of here to a different place for a while and my hair has been fine for three months.

So...well I can't get any crazier claiming amalgam illness to the naysayers, if I was getting a bad end of the stick on account of some lame 'green' dish soap I wouldn't be surprised.

I'm thinking mold, broke pipes, or something really common like dish soap. Right, I mean you have to be constantly exposed to it I figure. Logically.

http://www.ewg.org/guides/substances/152568

I've always had a good sense of smell and since I got MCS (one of the results of the flu vaccine which eventually led to my ME/CFS) I am a bloodhound for chemicals. Even if the label says everything is okay, I will smell them. So that really helps me to avoid chemicals (except of course for the millions of Americans who use nothing BUT chemicals everywhere.

It's so hard to completely avoid chemicals and toxins which makes me see red all the time but I would think it would be more of a case of the chemical load you've built up over the years on top of any you were 'given' by your mom in the womb, rather than one dish soap.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...straw, camels' back and all that...