• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Potential Biomarker

RL_sparky

I saw this on the Bateman Horne Center webpage. I'm curious what @Jonathan Edwards and @alex3619 think of this?

https://batemanhornecenter.org/uncovering-biomarkers-fcg-receptors/

Uncovering Biomarkers – Fcg receptors in ME/CFS
By Leigh Reynolds | April 15, 2016

Uncovering Biomarkers – Is protein dysfunction a risk factor for the development of ME/CFS?

The Bateman Horne Center (BHC) is determined to bring ME/CFS and FM into the mainstream by focusing on the discovery of biomarkers. Biomarkers will improve diagnosis and treatment and put us on a pathway to a cure. It is the powerful combination of an active and specialized medical center of excellence with an innovative research program, under one roof, that allows us to most effectively focus on this work.

To achieve our goal of finding a biomarker we are recruiting a Research Ready Army of well-defined patients eager to participate. Our Research Ready Army helps drive the discovery of biomarkers by participating in a comprehensive clinical evaluation, answering questions, and providing blood samples. This valuable and secure data is in turn shared with top scientists – each working on different potential biomarkers – like Dr. Isabel Barao, a cancer immunologist and ME/CFS researcher at the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR).
In this guest blog, Dr. Barao explains the research she is doing to uncover potential immune system dysfunction in ME/CFS as a potential biomarker.

This research has been supported by NIH (CTR-IN 1U54GM10444-2 and R21AI117491), Simmaron Research, Inc., Solve ME/CFS Initiative, and private donors. The first manuscripts are in preparation.
Continue reading here.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonathan Edwards

"Gibberish"
If she is looking for FcR polymorphisms as risk factors for ME/CFS that seems a reasonable thing to look for. FcR polymorphism do confer risk to some autoimmune diseases. What I am not clear about is the link to NK function. As I understand it the finding in ME/CFS is that NK cell killing of K562 cells is defective. However, I am not sure that his is FcR or antibody dependent. I don't see why there should be any antibody to K562 cells in the assay for FcR to bind. To be honest I am not quite sure why NK cells kill K562s anyway! Maybe somebody else knows more.

alex3619

This is a potential biomarker or risk factor. Its early days in the research. It might work out, or not. Its certainly worth investigating, even if only to rule it out.

I am guessing a lot of the information they are using is not yet published, which is what is happening in a lot of places, though I could be wrong. I think that is probably the case at NCNED, where they are might be well ahead of what is published, but they cannot talk about it untill after publication. Multiply that by the many other sites. Of course I might also be guilty of wishful thinking in this.

One of the issues that biomarker discovery faces in a broad multisystem disease is that any biomarker might be secondary to the cause or causes. That might not stop it from being an effective biomarker though, either by itself or in combination with other markers. In fact, given the highly heterogenous nature of symptoms in ME and CFS I think we might eventually wind up with a biomarker panel, rather than a single biomarker.

It will be interesting to see where this goes.

*GG*

I saw this on the Bateman Horne Center webpage. I'm curious what @Jonathan Edwards and @alex3619 think of this?

https://batemanhornecenter.org/uncovering-biomarkers-fcg-receptors/

Uncovering Biomarkers – Fcg receptors in ME/CFS
By Leigh Reynolds | April 15, 2016

Uncovering Biomarkers – Is protein dysfunction a risk factor for the development of ME/CFS?

The Bateman Horne Center (BHC) is determined to bring ME/CFS and FM into the mainstream by focusing on the discovery of biomarkers. Biomarkers will improve diagnosis and treatment and put us on a pathway to a cure. It is the powerful combination of an active and specialized medical center of excellence with an innovative research program, under one roof, that allows us to most effectively focus on this work.

To achieve our goal of finding a biomarker we are recruiting a Research Ready Army of well-defined patients eager to participate. Our Research Ready Army helps drive the discovery of biomarkers by participating in a comprehensive clinical evaluation, answering questions, and providing blood samples. This valuable and secure data is in turn shared with top scientists – each working on different potential biomarkers – like Dr. Isabel Barao, a cancer immunologist and ME/CFS researcher at the University of Nevada, Reno (UNR).

In this guest blog, Dr. Barao explains the research she is doing to uncover potential immune system dysfunction in ME/CFS as a potential biomarker.

This research has been supported by NIH (CTR-IN 1U54GM10444-2 and R21AI117491), Simmaron Research, Inc., Solve ME/CFS Initiative, and private donors. The first manuscripts are in preparation.

Thanks for posting, hard to read all that large blocks of text, better than the email they sent, some Blue background if I recall correctly. That was not possible for me to read. :(

GG