• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Activation of the NLRP3 inflammasome in LPS-induced mouse fatigue and its relevance to CFS

JaimeS

Activation of the NLRP3 inflammasome in lipopolysaccharide-induced mouse fatigue and its relevance to chronic fatigue syndrome
  • Zi-Teng Zhang†,
  • Xiu-Ming Du†,
  • Xiu-Juan Ma†,
  • Ying Zong,
  • Ji-Kuai Chen,
  • Chen-Lin Yu,
  • Yan-Gang Liu,
  • Yong-Chun Chen,
  • Li-Jun Zhao
  • Guo-Cai Lu
†Contributed equally
Journal of Neuroinflammation201613:71
DOI: 10.1186/s12974-016-0539-1

© Zhang et al. 2016

Received: 5 January 2016

Accepted: 31 March 2016

Published: 5 April 2016

Abstract
Background
The NLRP3 inflammasome (NOD-like receptor family, pyrin domain containing 3) is an intracellular protein complex that plays an important role in innate immune sensing. Its activation leads to the maturation of caspase-1 and regulates the cleavage of interleukin (IL)-1β and IL-18. Various studies have shown that activation of the immune system plays a pivotal role in the development of fatigue. However, the mechanisms underlying the association between immune activation and fatigue remained elusive, and few reports have described the involvement of NLRP3 inflammasome activation in fatigue.

Methods
We established a mouse fatigue model with lipopolysaccharide (LPS, 3 mg/kg) challenge combined with swim stress. Both behavioural and biochemical parameters were measured to illustrate the characteristics of this model. We also assessed NLRP3 inflammasome activation in the mouse diencephalon, which is the brain region that has been suggested to be responsible for fatigue sensation. To further identify the role of NLRP3 inflammasome activation in the pathogenesis of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), NLRP3 KO mice were also subjected to LPS treatment and swim stress, and the same parameters were evaluated.

Results
Mice challenged with LPS and subjected to the swim stress test showed decreased locomotor activity, decreased fall-off time in a rota-rod test and increased serum levels of IL-1β and IL-6 compared with untreated mice. Serum levels of lactic acid and malondialdehyde (MDA) were not significantly altered in the treated mice. We demonstrated increased NLRP3 expression, IL-1β production and caspase-1 activation in the diencephalons of the treated mice. In NLRP3 KO mice, we found remarkably increased locomotor activity with longer fall-off times and decreased serum IL-1β levels compared with those of wild-type (WT) mice after LPS challenge and the swim stress test. IL-1β levels in the diencephalon were also significantly decreased in the NLRP3 KO mice. By contrast, IL-6 levels were not significantly altered.

Conclusions
These findings suggest that LPS-induced fatigue is an IL-1β-dependent process and that the NLRP3/caspase-1 pathway is involved in the mechanisms of LPS-induced fatigue behaviours. NLRP3/caspase-1 inhibition may be a promising therapy for fatigue treatment.

Keywords
NLRP3 inflammasome LPS Chronic fatigue syndrome NLRP3 knockout mice IL-1β

More here.

-J

Valentijn

... CFS is still seen as similar to being exhausted after forced swimming? :bang-head:

And nice to know they aren't bothered about minor details like disease criteria:
A spectrum of fatigue-related syndromes, known as chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS), includes cognitive problems, sleep disturbances, malaise and gastrointestinal symptoms [1]. CFS is characterized by persistent and severe fatigue [2]. In addition to fatigue, CFS patients also complain of somatic symptoms, such as irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) and migraines, and these symptoms can be worsened by stress and over exercise [35].

I'm glad they're looking into biological pathology, but they need to stop getting their background information about the disease from quacks. Proper criteria and a basic understanding of the core symptoms might provide them with a much better starting point in where to look for abnormalities.

Marco

Grrrrrrr!
... CFS is still seen as similar to being exhausted after forced swimming? :bang-head:

They're not actually saying that. They identify infection and exercise as two out of four fatiguing stressors and the finding that exercise may augment fatigue due to bacterial infection sounds a plausible model for PEM.

This strikes me as a very well designed study given the limitations of animal models.

Rrrr

The paper's conclusion is saying "NLRP3/caspase-1 inhibition may be a promising therapy for fatigue treatment."

So I looked up "NLRP3/caspase-1 inhibition" and found this paper
http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fphar.2015.00262/full

It lists a few things that inhibit NLRP3/caspase-1, and one of them is resveratrol, an over the counter supplement any of us can buy. I have seen its name often over the years but never tried it. Have others?

JaimeS

The paper's conclusion is saying "NLRP3/caspase-1 inhibition may be a promising therapy for fatigue treatment."

So I looked up "NLRP3/caspase-1 inhibition" and found this paper
http://journal.frontiersin.org/article/10.3389/fphar.2015.00262/full

It lists a few things that inhibit NLRP3/caspase-1, and one of them is resveratrol, an over the counter supplement any of us can buy. I have seen its name often over the years but never tried it. Have others?

Arglabin is another one that seems to have been effective as a NLRP3 inhibitor, and it's synthesized from Artemisia glabella. I wonder if it's in the other (more common!) artemisias.

I have tried resveratrol -- a somewhat drying effect, nothing dramatic, but I was very sick when I tried it. Unless it caused a profound change, I might not have noticed anything at all.

-J

JaimeS

It also looks like cannabinoid receptor 2 agonists do the same. I just got cannabis oil recommended to me by my local nutritionist, with the whole, "...it's not like smoking pot, it won't do anything to you that way" speech. ;)

Maybe I will try some, in that case...

-J

Valentijn

It made me feel quite a bit worse when I tried it a couple years ago. I don't remember my exact reaction (headache?), but it was not tolerable.

ScottTriGuy

Stop the harm. Start the research and treatment.
What about low dose cannabis oil and pulsed dose resveratrol. Sounds interesting. Cannabis oil is in the process of having restricted access legalized in Australia.

Curious - why pulsed?

I just added resveratrol last week and note the bottle directions say not for long term use.

Last edited:

alex3619

Curious - why pulsed?

I just added resveratrol last week and not the bottle directions say not for long term use.
I used pulsed dosage because based on my testing I got the best result for the least cost. The standard dose did nothing for me. At 600mg I got a result. It lasts three to four days. So I do not need another dose for at least four days unless I eat a lot of wheat. Resveratrol greatly reduces my intolerance to wheat.

I think the usual dose is 300mg/day. I have no response at that dose even if I take it for weeks.

Resveratrol has some powerful chemistry going for it. I am cautious about taking too much, so the minimal dose that works is best in my view. Its also cheaper.

I am not sure why they say its not for long term use. This supplement has been used by a great many people continuously for years. It is perhaps the most researched supplement there is since drug companies want to turn it into a drug, but much of that research would not be published. This is one of the very very few, and the most tested, anti-aging supplements. Its a PDE4 (phosphodiesterase) inhibitor, which means it alters the cAMP/Ca++ balance. If I recall correctly, its been a while since I investigated this, it works by decreasing the degradation of cAMP.

JaimeS

which means it alters the cAMP/Ca++ balance. If I recall correctly, its been a while since I investigated this, it works by decreasing the degradation of cAMP.

I was looking at cAMP and Ca2+ literally just last night and thinking that cAMP would be an intriguing therapeutic target. Interesting. Maybe I'll dig mine out -- I tried it when I was first ill, as I mentioned, and my system has really altered since then. Worth a second go.

-J

Snow Leopard

Hibernating
The argument is that the difference (decrease) in performance is due to NLRP3 being involved in fatigue sensation somehow (either peripherally, or centrally). The problem is that you can't ask a mouse how they feel.

A lot of animal models are or dubious validity as they are very different from the disease they are trying to study.

alex3619

A lot of animal models are or dubious validity as they are very different from the disease they are trying to study.
In this case I think that applies. Since we have no idea what causes the fatigue and energy loss in ME and CFS we have no idea about whether or not this model is valid. Unless they find very elevated lactic acid its not likely to be relevant.

msf

I knew that rats can tolerate higher levels of LPS than humans, so I was curious to know what the equivalent dose would be in humans. According to the paper below, 3mg/kg in rats is roughly equivalent to 3ng/kg in humans, which is 1/1000 000th the dose!

So, the obvious solution to our problems is: become a rat!

More seriously, I think the dose was too high even for rats, as it causes a SIRS-like syndrome in them at this level, which is not what we are looking at in ME.

https://circ.ahajournals.org/content/suppl/2009/02/13/CIRCULATIONAHA.108.810721.DC1/CI191998.DS.pd