• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Guardian Online: What I’m really thinking: the person with ME

AndyPR

http://www.theguardian.com/society/...me-myalgic-encephalomyelitis?CMP=share_btn_tw
Just a short piece by, as far as I can see, an anonymous reader, so I've put it all below, but considering how honest and accurate it is, please consider giving The Guardian a few extra page views by clicking the link.

EDIT: As suggested, I've taken half of the quote out to encourage visits to The Guardian page itself, please do visit it to encourage more accurate ME articles from them.

http://www.theguardian.com/society/...me-myalgic-encephalomyelitis?CMP=share_btn_tw
I have myalgic encephalomyelitis. If you think it is hard to say, try living with it every day.

Yes, I understand that your aunt had chronic fatigue, and that she took some B-vitamins and is all-better now. No, it isn’t adrenal fatigue because that doesn’t exist. Oh yes, how fantastic that your friend’s friend was really tired after a virus, but she tried acupuncture and cut out wheat and dairy from her diet and next week she is running the London marathon.

See the remainder of the article at http://www.theguardian.com/society/...me-myalgic-encephalomyelitis?CMP=share_btn_tw

Last edited:

worldbackwards

I feel sure there's been a conversation behind the scenes at the Guardian. Maybe they took a look at what's going on with PACE and decided to get on the right side of history.
I'm sure you're right about the conversation, but I expect The Graun's equivocal liberal conscience has more to do with things than them taking up anything so dangerous as a position. I fully expect Suzanne O'Sullivan to be back and badder than ever at some point

Mrs Sowester

I feel sure there's been a conversation behind the scenes at the Guardian. Maybe they took a look at what's going on with PACE and decided to get on the right side of history.
I think the weight of comments and article shares from pwme in response to some of the dreadful BPS biased articles knocked the Graun sideways.
There's quite a community of housebound people that use CIF to avoid isolation and the amount of regular commenters who have ME is surprisingly high.
I've got my fingers crossed that the Guardian will be the UK newspaper to expose the PACE scandal, their readership have given them all the information they need and the G pride themselves on getting to the real story.

Mrs Sowester

Great stuff! I reckon one of the Editors has a friend/child/partner with ME. This is an excellent piece and even better, is in the mainstream press. Also an illustration rather than the usual stock photos.
Yes, I really like the illustration. They're always pretty good for this series.