• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Powerful Must See - How to Survive a Plague

Jennifer J

I know this documentary has been mentioned in some posts. I thought I'd post it for anyone who hasn't heard of it or seen it. So many lives were lost to AIDS. Thanks to Act Up and other AIDS activists groups this was changed. There's much in this documentary that speaks to us.

"A Model for the Here and Now of Social Change: " Frank Bruni, NY Times

http://surviveaplague.com/watch

Blisteringly powerful, HOW TO SURVIVE A PLAGUE transports us back to a vital time of unbridled death, political indifference, and staggering resilience and ..

In the late 1980s, members of Act-Up and other AIDS activists battle indifference and hostility to bring attention to the disease and play a huge role in reducing the number of AIDS-related fatalities in the U.S.

Faced with their own mortality an improbable group of young people, many of them HIV-positive young men, broke the mold as radical warriors taking on Washington and the medical establishment.

HOW TO SURVIVE A PLAGUE is the story of two coalitions—ACT UP and TAG (Treatment Action Group)—whose activism and innovation turned AIDS from a death sentence into a manageable condition. Despite having no scientific training, these self-made activists infiltrated the pharmaceutical industry and helped identify promising new drugs, moving them from experimental trials to patients in record time.

With unfettered access to a treasure trove of never-before-seen archival footage from the 1980s and '90s, filmmaker David France puts the viewer smack in the middle of the controversial actions, the heated meetings, the heartbreaking failures, and the exultant breakthroughs of heroes in the making. - See more at: http://surviveaplague.com/#sthash.cslcebKe.dpuf

Thank you everyone for your work in changing things.

Last edited:

actup

AIDS patients in the late 80's and at least until the mid 90's were very visibly dying agonizing deaths. No one could doubt they were sick. Many were alone and abandoned but still visible in the health care system. Partners, HCPs, family members and friends were shocked into action by the rapid deterioration of patients and the horrible suffering. CFS patients become quiet from lack of hope, lack of energy and tremendous isolation from family and friends. We have little visibility and the CDC and NHS have in my opinion intentionally and fraudulently crafted a very confusing message which says on the one hand these people are really sick but on the other hand all we can give them is psychological care. What that meant to my well family members and friends was that I had suddenly and obstinately turned into a hypochondriac with depression. They see selfishness in my situation. My well family members don't donate to cfs/me causes or sign petitions. I no longer ask. I can't blame family or even doctors for not understanding this disease. The CDC and NHS propaganda has been very effective for a very long time.

We can borrow a lot from Act Up but need new tactics as well.

sarah darwins

We can borrow a lot from Act Up but need new tactics as well.

I've been following with great interest the recent events in the States regarding LGBT rights and the notorious bathroom legislation. My eye has been especially caught by the sudden involvement of a number of major companies, such as Paypal, which has clearly had a significant impact on the conversation. Money always talks.

We probably don't tend to think about major businesses when talking about campaigning, but perhaps we should. Getting a few major tech companies on board would be a massive step forward.

Bruce Springstein would be cool, too ;-) Anyone got his number?

actup

I've been following with great interest the recent events in the States regarding LGBT rights and the notorious bathroom legislation. My eye has been especially caught by the sudden involvement of a number of major companies, such as Paypal, which has clearly had a significant impact on the conversation. Money always talks.

We probably don't tend to think about major businesses when talking about campaigning, but perhaps we should. Getting a few major tech companies on board would be a massive step forward.

Bruce Springstein would be cool, too ;-) Anyone got his number?
Great idea! Maybe a PR firm could help with a public education campaign. Can't wait for the NIH (5 yr study,40 patients?).

sarah darwins

Great idea! Maybe a PR firm could help with a public education campaign. Can't wait for the NIH (5 yr study,40 patients?).

I noticed Paypal's stand re North Carolina was based on the fact that the proposed legislation affects some of their employees. Hard to believe that they have no present or former employees with a CFS diagnosis, or employees whose family members are afflicted.

I'm going to give this a bit more thought. We keep saying that the problem with governments is they don't see a downside to ignoring PWME. Getting some commercial heavy hitters on board would change that.

actup

I suspect there are many celebs and other influencers of public opinion who have stayed in the shadows. I suspect lyme disease is cfs/me with a known trigger. They don't like the cfs/me tag but will talk about lyme disease. Hope we can join forces in the near future.