• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Coffee,, yes or no

I everyone
I have read Dr Myhill last book and she refers to having a coffee is good now and again, would like to know
thoughts and advice regarding coffee, i love strong coffee and find it hard first thing in a morning not to have
one.

hellytheelephant

I wish it was a 'yes' but I am really sensitive to all caffeine ( even in decaffinated products). I feel that if I overstimulate then I have a rush of energy BUT it means I run on adrenaline which isn't good.

I like cappuccinos with almond milk and maple syrup (and cinnamon or cocoa powder on top, with chocolate sprinkles), and it doesn't seem to have a negative impact unless I drink more than 3 extra-strong double shots per day. It also doesn't rev me up, beyond what I would expect from having a drink with some sugar in it.

I didn't start drinking coffee until after I'd been sick for a couple years, so caffeine/coffee definitely did not contribute to developing ME :p

Sandman00747

I everyone
I have read Dr Myhill last book and she refers to having a coffee is good now and again, would like to know
thoughts and advice regarding coffee, i love strong coffee and find it hard first thing in a morning not to have
one.

I have always loved coffee and probably I should cut way back on it, however, it makes those horrible mornings that many of us suffer quite a bit easier for me anyway.

Mij

I didn't start drinking coffee until after I'd been sick for a couple years, so caffeine/coffee definitely did not contribute to developing ME :p

Same here :p

I love my latté but can only drink 3 every 10 days. I need to take breaks or I start to feel exhausted/drained. I don't plan anything on the day I have one. So for me personally it does reduce energy levels but probably because it prevents me from napping in the afternoon , I NEED a nap to keep me going into the evening.

We're all different.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
I can drink coffee or not drink coffee, with no effects either way. I often feel better after one, but I think that's because it's a hot drink rather than because it's coffee. A hot drink can perk me up a bit and take the edge of a headache for some reason.

JaimeS

I went off of all caffeine and waited through the withdrawal to determine if something spectacular were about to happen to my energy levels: an evening out of energy over the course of the day is what I was expecting: less highs, maybe, but fewer lows.

Nope. I just do better on a bit of coffee. No more than 2 medium-sized or three small cups throughout the day, though, and never anything past 3pm or so, or it's harder for me to sleep.

Interestingly, my SNPs state that I am more likely to need a bit of adrenergic stimulation in this way.

-J

rosie26

I really enjoy a coffee when out. I mostly have a cappuccino, single shot, with chocolate sprinkled on top. Every now and then I will have a flat white. I find coffee too over stimulating though. And so I limit it to one cup a day.

Richard7

I never seem to have an issue with coffee. Over the years I have given up from time to time because various people advised against it. But maybe this is the opposite of the celebrity diet effect. You know, people try many diets, one works by chance for a celebrity therefore we all hear how wonderful it is.

Only here it is something does not work for a friend, doctor or person with a microphone and we all get to here how bad it is for us.

But I am a migrainer, and some migrainers find coffee helps so that may be a part of it. Before ME/CFS I needed it/benefited from it when I was in a migraine triggering environment (fluorescent lights), but would go down to about one a week when I was out of that environment.

And hearing the advice against coffee assumed that the causation was around the other way and tried working and studying without coffee for a year. (Bad and painful idea)

I understand that caffeine is broken down by stage one detox, and that people at the top of the normal range for phase one detox are 2.5 times faster than those at the bottom. Since my teens I have been able to have coffee and then go to sleep and hour or so later and (pre ME/CFS) sleep soundly for the next 5 to 7 hours. So I guess I have fast stage one detox.

I once spent a weekend in Melbourne with a friend who took me out to his 16 favourite cafe's in a day, 16 espressos and then sound sleep.

I went off it for about 6 months when I went on AIP paleo. I don't get withdrawals when I stop. But when I retested it I found that it helped with pots so went back onto it.

Trying new coffees is one of the few joys in my life. There is a place in melbourne that I go through that can ship good fresh coffee to me for much the same price as the supermarket stuff. I go through one to 2 kilos per month, and buy different coffees most of the time.

I currently drinking the grandly titled “redemption of the 'spro,” which is OK, just OK. Indeed so definitely just OK that the fact that it got a silver medal in a competition worries me a bit.