• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Does your ME expert / country tests you for virus titers/ NK cell function?

Kati

Patient in training
i did not put up a poll here, but i am curious to see which ME expert tests for viruses/ NK cell function and who doesn't, and in that regard whether different countries (especially those who have socialized medicine) recognize those (Germany, Norway, Sweden, Australia, New Zealand, and Canada)

I believe Dr Klimas, Dr Montoya, Dr Kogelnik, Dr Peterson all test for viruses and Nk cell function. Anybody that you know?

Also, does anyone know any other disease that screens for herpes virus reactivation or status other than HIV and post organ or stem cell transplant?

Lastly, what litterature do we have that support the testing of herpes virus? How about NK cell function?

alex3619

Researchers test for those in Australia, but it is rare for most doctors to do so as these tests are typically not covered by insurance., or covered under exacting requirements that do not typically apply to ME or CFS.

Kati

Patient in training
Researchers test for those in Australia, but it is rare for most doctors to do so as these tests are typically not covered by insurance., or covered under exacting requirements that do not typically apply to ME or CFS.
Thank you for your response. According to you should NK cell function and viral titers be routinely checked (and covered by insurance) as standard of care for patients with ME? Why/why not?

JAH

Kaufman tests for both. I don't think Montoya tests NK function. I could be wrong, but I'm a patient of his and I don't remember him testing it. He does test all herpes viruses, that's sort of his specialty, and he treats it.

JAH

halcyon

I don't think Montoya tests NK function. I could be wrong, but I'm a patient of his and I don't remember him testing it.
I don't think so either. I'm a patient of his clinic as well and they didn't test that. Dr. Chia does not test NK cell function either as far as I know, he didn't test me either. I don't think it has any bearing on their treatment either way so they don't bother.

justy

Donate Advocate Demonstrate
Yes, I have had NK cells, and NK cell function tested by KDM and some viruses (he only checks for viruses if your symptoms and history indicate it). These tests are not accepted by the health care providers in my country (UK ) as being relevant.

ukxmrv

I was told that the UK NHS doesn't have a hospital test for NK cell in any form for ordinary patients. At least that was the case 4 years ago when I wrote to my PCT.

The only place they would be available from in the NHS is through a research setting. In the UK at that stage the only interest shown in NK cells in any active and ongoing research setting was for infertility and cancer not ME. Liverpool hospital was looking at this for infertility plus some individual NHS and private doctors. Imperial college is looking at NK cells and cancer plus probably others.

NK testing is done only through private doctors for ME in the UK as far as I am aware.

Last edited:

Vineyard1

Dr. Susan Levine tests for bacteria, viruses and does an immunological profile, inclusive of NK Cell activity...

Mij

@Kati I saw a virologist (Canada) who saw many M.E patients I was tested at the CHEO virology lab for various viruses (DNA) but when I asked about a NK function I got the impression he had never heard of it.

Kati

Patient in training
@Kati I saw a virologist (Canada) who saw many M.E patients I was tested at the CHEO virology lab for various viruses (DNA) but when I asked about a NK function I got the impression he had never heard of it.
Yes, my dr had to dig deep to remember what NK cells were. Worse is that they do not recognize that low NK cell function is an immune dysfunction. It's quite disturbing. It's as if 'if we don't test it, then it doesn't exist'

voner

kati,

my notes indicate Dr. Chia measured absolute NK cells and a slew of viruses. he's very adamant that a specific lab (ARUP) are used for enterovirus tests....

my gp doc also looked at my labs asked what NK cells meant... when I told him, he looked pretty sheepish.....