• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Blue Badge Parking and ME/CFS (UK)

charles shepherd

Current feedback below

Interesting to note that around 45% of applications have been approved - which indicates that it is worth applying to your local council for a Blue Badge if you have significant difficulties with mobility and need to use a car, either as a driver or as a passenger

• What happened if you recently applied for, or tried to renew, a Blue Badge (for disabled parking)?
    • Approved (39%, 20 Votes)

• Approved following appeal/reconsideration (6%, 3 Votes)

• Refused on first application (4%, 2 Votes)

• Refused on renewal (4%, 2 Votes)

• Awaiting decision (2%, 1 Votes)

• Never applied for one (35%, 18 Votes)

• Automatic acceptance following DLA or PIP mobility award (10%, 5 Votes)

Total Voters: 51

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I'm glad you're flagging this up. I have a Blue Badge even though I don't have a car so that people can drive me places and park near to where I need to be. I get it with no argument because I get the mobility component of DLA. It's very well worth having and I'd encourage everyone to apply who would benefit.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I am one of the 'Never applied for one (35%, 18 Votes)'

I can't afford a vehicle. Don't know if I could qualify as Sasha did. I didn't when I applied before, and had to focus on other things after refusal.

Has this been looked into?

Sasha

Fine, thank you
I am one of the 'Never applied for one (35%, 18 Votes)'

I can't afford a vehicle. Don't know if I could qualify as Sasha did. I didn't when I applied before, and had to focus on other things after refusal.

Has this been looked into?

You don't need a vehicle of your own - I think that's a little-known fact that could be made more of in general.

When you say "has this been looked into", what did you mean?

I don't know how it works in the UK, but in the Netherlands it's easier to get a driver's disabled parking permit versus a passenger's permit. The theory is that drivers have to park and walk, but passengers can be dropped off right in front of the destination.

So for a passenger it's necessary to prove that you either can't walk even that far alone, or that you can't stand around and wait for your driver to park or pick you up. In my case, I mentioned my orthostatic intolerance to fulfill the "can't stand around" requirement, and that was sufficient even though my doctor hadn't mentioned it in the letter which supported my claims of being very disabled.

mfairma

I don't have a primary care provider to ask to help in the application process. I tried asking a nurse practitioner some years ago when I was much sicker, but she yelled at me and absolutely refused to look at any of the studies and labs (including VO2 max) I brought in or to allow me to explain them to her. I haven't tried again since. Even had I got one, I would not have used it except for the more dire need because I would undoubtedly get accosted for doing so.

I'm surprised the "never applied" is not a higher percentage.

I had a Blue Badge which expired 2 years ago. My local council make you turn up in person so i've been on for 2 years trying to get it renewed.
I'm on high rate mobility DLA. I recently applied online, uploaded the photograph etc. Then it said i had to post in the ID forms etc.

I emailed them and asked if my partner could just hand it all in in person for me to save potentially losing original documents in the post.

Wish i hadnt asked. Ever since they are trying to force me to go in person which i'm just not up to doing right now.
She keeps saying 'All you have to do' is bring in your old Blue Badge and we dont need to see your Other ID etc as you already have a badge.

I asked again if my partner can drop it in for me and she's still trying to force me to go in person.

I rang a general enquiry line and i was told that if you fill in an online application form, that is the application now, its there to aid people who are housebound who can't easily get there in person.

I told this to the woman who is trying to force me to go in person and she said, if you're housebound, you don't need a Blue Badge then.

Looks like i'm not getting my Blue Badge renewed then :(

MEMum

I had a Blue Badge which expired 2 years ago. My local council make you turn up in person so i've been on for 2 years trying to get it renewed.
I'm on high rate mobility DLA. I recently applied online, uploaded the photograph etc. Then it said i had to post in the ID forms etc.

I emailed them and asked if my partner could just hand it all in in person for me to save potentially losing original documents in the post.

Wish i hadnt asked. Ever since they are trying to force me to go in person which i'm just not up to doing right now.
She keeps saying 'All you have to do' is bring in your old Blue Badge and we dont need to see your Other ID etc as you already have a badge.

I asked again if my partner can drop it in for me and she's still trying to force me to go in person.

I rang a general enquiry line and i was told that if you fill in an online application form, that is the application now, its there to aid people who are housebound who can't easily get there in person.

I told this to the woman who is trying to force me to go in person and she said, if you're housebound, you don't need a Blue Badge then.

Looks like i'm not getting my Blue Badge renewed then :(

Just sounds like they don't know their arses from their elbows (as usual). Why not try?

I'm utterly exhausted. After 8 long emails she finally said the decision can be overturned by getting permission from the manager to apply by post or online if housebound and my partner can hand in all of the documents needed and told me to go and find his details online.

I told her how about she just gives me the details of her manager instead? and that she could have told me this 8 emails ago when she first heard i'm housebound instead of telling me I don't need a Blue Badge and stressing me out.

I'm utterly wiped out. Every time i asked her the steps i need to take to complete this, she just said 'oh just pop in...' Even though i told her i've been trying to 'pop in' for the last 2 years.

She then said if i'm housebound then the next time i'm in hospital i could just 'pop in' to complete the application en-route. If i did that then i'd be too wiped out to get to hospital messing around in taxis with the wheelchair and if get hospital transportation they don't take you to other places and then wait around for you en-route.

Considering the whole thing is for disabled people, it seems theyre stopping the most disabled from even applying in the first place, or at least they are where I live.

My disabled bus pass has been collecting dust for the last couple of years, it never gets used :(

I used up the last of my energy writing an email to her manager last night explaining everything, again.

I got an instant reply...

'I am away on leave,
Please call....'

Three numbers for people that are completely irrelevant.

I emailed that woman straight back saying i'll be getting the certified copy of passport over the weekend and my partner will be handing in all ID/proof documents needed, in person during his work break early next week.

She hasn't bothered replying this time.